System Pics 2024

Or Switches. :+1:t2:

7 Likes

OK… will order some different ones. I’m capable of switching the power off and welding a screwdriver…

1 Like

Not sure what that would do to the SQ !!
hopefully you mean wielding??

2 Likes

LOL - typo…

2 Likes

Mike, it’s safety related and doesn’t appear to be commercial, so I’m OK with it.

Alarming survey!

2 Likes

Changing a utility grade switched power socket to a better quality unswitched, from MK or Crabtree up to the like of Furutech will invariably improve SQ, for sure there is no down grade.
I also note @BrendanD has a nice power cable, looks like a Vertere, but the 13A plug is the excellent Permaplug HD, one of my favourites and ridiculously low cost in the Audiophool world.

Came on the Vertere Redline that powers the TT power supply. Nice upgrade.
The other cables are Powerlines X2 on the Naim gear and my 20 year old Music Works cable on the Phono stage. All with Bussman 13A fuses.
Have just ordered a Russ Andrews Signature switchless socket x 2 (seemed nice quality for a reasonable price).
Tx for suggestions - makes sense given I have quality mains cables (and they do most definitely make a difference to the sound).

1 Like

After one year, the NPX300 has finally landed :smiley:. Incredible addition , i do not regret my investment :notes:

37 Likes

Thanks for posting this, very interesting reading.

Glad I don’t have any of these.

DG…

2 Likes

I’d get a refund and order MK doubles probably only cost £20.
It’s what I and many others use.

MKK0781 13 Amp 2 Gang Double Unswitched Socket - White

Don’t pay £227 each for Foo ones.

4 Likes

Good luck with the new sockets.

Anyway, apologies all for going off topic. As I’m WFH today, here’s an office system pic to compensate…

36 Likes

RA are only £32, so happy with that.

1 Like

The standard RA ones are Hager only worth about a tenner be better with MK.

3 Likes

In any case I don’t see much point in those USB sockets, they are gradually becoming obsolete as USB C replaces them, and I dare say that in turn will be replaced by another new standard at some point.

3 Likes

Yep becoming a pain. Had a hire car recently and the output was C type. I have C type at the phone end but not at both ends. Grrrr.

I’m still trying resolve loud transformer hum in the SCDR. I have read all the FAQs and threads on the forum and tried all the recommended solutions. I’m now down to getting a mains spur installed; but I might try this first to see if the current socket could be having an impact, which is metal and has switches on it. I know it is the mains supply itself causing the issue, but it is worth a try.

1 Like

Can’t do any harm to eliminate unnecessary resistance through connectors.
MK is the best I’ve found with good metal area contacts and robust construction. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

So nice looking Unit 50, should we get a CDP and a streamer of the same form factor, well, stop dreaming…,

I couldn’t agree more. The standard UK sockets and plugs are famous the world over for being safe, robust and terribly efficient at allowing electrical potential.

I completely agree with some of the arguments for the benefits that come with cable geometry and insulation, but a bit of brass or copper in contact with a bit of brass or copper, is what it is.

The benefits of silver or gold as conductors is well advertised; I can’t hear the differences.

But I do think that Russ Andrew gear is often well made, has a cosmetic sparkle that appeals to many, and is sometimes good value for money. Not cheap! But good value. If it allows a fellow music lover to enjoy their passion more, then every penny well spent.

In a few years time, my hifi will be drawing wireless energy just like my toothbrush and Apple Watch do now.

Daz

2 Likes

Interesting comments on switches, I was in the dealers store today and they have standard switched sockets, nothing fancy.

1 Like