System Pics 2024

Thank you! Definitely a happy place.

1 Like

I love that table!

2 Likes

Yes it’s a chunk of wood but I dont know what type. Its old. Bit like me. Good for HiFi though.

2 Likes

So sorry to hear this Pete, all the best, I hope it goes well, Mark

2 Likes

Thanks Mark. :+1:

1 Like

Pete, that is the pits, so sorry to hear your news.

I wish you all the very best, and I hope your treatment buys you as much time as possible.

Keep strong my friend.

5 Likes

Good luck Pete, words always fail me at times like this. Hope the treatment goes as planned.

3 Likes

There’s always something happening with cancer research and they’re finding new ways to cure/contain it almost monthly these days. Hopefully things may improve by the time mine comes back.

There’s always hope.

19 Likes

All the best @Pete_the_painter !

1 Like

Love your spirit, Pete.

On the news today I heard that combining personal health monitoring (by smartphones), looking for certain proteins in our bodies and AI, very soon we will be able to predict with a high degree of accuracy our susceptibility to various diseases and cancers. This will allow very early interventions and save millions of lives. When cancers are detected these days, it is usually at a relatively advanced stage.

Possibly one development that is a bit late for us old duffers, but our kids and grandkids will benefit enormously. We are, however, going to need some mental health care to be able to handle bad news so early, and give us the courage to grasp the benefits of early interventions.

As you say, health care is advancing fast and your last line above is so true.

:muscle::fist:

6 Likes

To get this thread back on track, if anyone’s interested I’ll update in the Cafe thread in the lounge in future.

Once again thank you all for your support and well wishes. Cheers.

19 Likes

Good luck Pete. There’s a Blue Heeler with your name on it just waiting for your return!
George

3 Likes

Best of luck Peter

2 Likes

Hello Dan,

My experience of Naim CD players:

1. CD 555
  2. CDX2.2/555
  3. CDS3/XPS2
  4. CDS1/CDSPS
  5. CDS2/XPS1
  6. CDi (original with top hat puck)
  7. CD3 (original)

2 and 3 are very close, 2 is very meaty and propulsive - just different flavours
4 and 5 are very close, I prefer 4
6 is unbelievably good.
7 is even more unbelievably good.

9 Likes

For me

CD555 ( most regret of all time selling on)
CDS3
CDX2.2/CDS2 ( different but both great)
CD5XS

Still have CDX2.2 ( playing up a bit ) and CD5XS and using them as transports - hedging my bets for the future , love playing CD’s

3 Likes

I’ve been using my Audiolab transport through the DAC-V1 into my pre amp lately (or up to the other day) and really enjoying it.

4 Likes

CDX2.2 came through from our friend just recently- looking after it for him :grinning:

Hi all, do you see that bad boy on the right. It’s very good! In fact all Audio Research is very good. Many Naim like qualities. I have tried digital out into NDAC/XPS2DR - it is very good, but also tried Analogue out straight into 552 - also very good (a bit juicier sounding vs NAC/XPS connection). Still looking for a mint CDS1 or CD555, regret selling mine many years ago.

42 Likes

That’s a serious stack. :+1:

4 Likes

I can (and sometimes) compare the same track using the following permutations: (nerd mode on)

1. Audio Research CD analogue out into 552
  2. AR CD → NDAC → XPS2 into 552
  3. Uniti Core → NDAC → XPS into 552
  4. Linn Klimax DS (as a server) picking up Uniti Core ripped tracks
  5. As above using Linn Klimax DS streaming via Qobuz

I can easily switch tracks A/B

Results are surprising but consistent and also genre specific.

2 Likes