System Pics 2024

In the room on the picture or? In which ways were they better?

All good… I dislike floor mounts and prefer stand mounts. :crazy_face:… but a good set of speakers you have there.
I have RK Red 50s. I demo’d the 120s… very good if you can get the bases stable.
I think the RKs are happier with 30 to 50 cms behind them … and about 80 to 100 cms from the sides.
I have absorber panels behind my 50s … and very pleased the impact they have with reflections.
I found in my room I preferred the mids from my 50s, but in the room sub bass response from the 50s and 120s is great… with the 120s sounding slightly but not by much surprisingly, deeper.

2 Likes

His name is Sony.

23 Likes

This picture was taken at 6h 26 mn 5 seconds pm.
I am your neighbour :joy:

1 Like

In the Demo room at Signals @Blackbird
They delivered a much more expansive experience, but my fear was that that would translate to overpowering in my Cabin.
When I pick up the Super 20A’s tomorrow I think they’ll be too much speaker for the room again (the woes of the Evoke 50’s revisited perhaps🫣), but we shall see. They may surprise me and suit the space well.
We shall have to wait and see tomorrow.

1 Like

It’s not the speakers I have a problem with Simon, it’s the stands.
I have heard lots of lovely standmount speakers, but I have yet to find a single speaker stand I like the design of.
It’s not the principal of standmount’s I dislike, purely the aesthetics :man_shrugging:t2:
As for the Russell K’s, I’ve been playing with them for a while now and haven’t tripped them up yet😊
As far as positioning goes, I have limited options so that has to be factored in, but I will be moving them around within my confining parameters to see how they respond. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Oooo
Interesting development.
Thanks for sharing an update. Sounds like you had a proper party in there, with that many people listening to and enjoying music.

@QuickSticks just studying your latest Systems Pic, I’ve just noticed you have a shelf space enough for a SuperCap, to go with the lovely SuperLine you added earlier this year. Are you tempted by the idea?

Anyway, how are you getting along with the new SuperLine?
Do you have any thoughts about the news of a service option being withdrawn?

Best wishes
R

Sure regarding positioning. I am not sure the RKs have a super wide tweeter dispersal, so toeing in probably helps quite well if close to the side wall.
As far as stands… yes I have used wooden stands… and open frame stands.
I currently use SS60 tripod stands in natural welded finish… I like the look, and seem to allow stand mounts to sound sweet and natural… and the RK stand mounts are super fussy, possibly due to the cab vibrations.

2 Likes

That’s another really quite good close up study.
Please can I ask if you are using a decent piece of glass for your photos?

Both curious and admiring of your photographic style
R

1 Like

iPhone 15 Pro in portrait mode and some added contrast and framing :blush:

2 Likes

Great. Even more impressed.

There is something about the blacks in what you do, or your camera does, somehow a “darkness”, which I have t seen in other styles. It creates a “depth” that’s quite nice to see.

It’s also interesting to see the close ups you often post, with a relatively narrow depth of field.

2 Likes

Hi RR, we weren’t all in the room at the same time🤣
It was a great day and I am so very pleased with how the RK Red 120’s have been performing this afternoon. Needless to say I’ve been jumping from Genre and Track a lot. Finally sat down to listen to a very familiar album all the way through (see listening thread😉).
The empty shelf you are talking about is the home of my Audiolab 7000 CDT, which is currently on the way back to me from IAG after a repair. It stopped reading disks a couple of weeks ago. It should be back in situ on Wednesday.
The SuperLine is amazing and continues to delight me. I wasn’t aware they were withdrawing service on it though. Isn’t that almost unheard of for Naim?
The only time I’ve heard of them doing this is when spares become unavailable, as in CD mech’s🤔

3 Likes

That’s mainly boosting contrast and adding “black point” :+1:

2 Likes

Started to read this bit and immediately remembered you’d had that problem. (Apologies, I’ve been busy ranting about the SL service issue - on another thread - for over a week and had forgotten). Sorry to hear about that. Hope it’s trouble free upon return.

The AudioLab CD transports have been on my radar for a while now, as a possible replacement for our CD5 XS2 if it ever ends. How do rate it ?

In other news, checking our main systems , I see we are slowly converging. Maybe, with exception of speaker choices. Just curious, had you considered active options?

Happy listening
R

2 Likes

I just love lookin’ at records.
A room full of records, books and curious oddities is heaven to me!

9 Likes

Very nice - a TC-377?

Such a great machine for the money. For sound quality, I’d take this over the equivalent Akai (GX-4000?) any day.

6 Likes

I had one of these around 1977. It would never record properly, despite getting the heads aligned. It was nice to see the reels spinning though.

1 Like

Yes correct :blush: Bought it for 100 EUR in mint condition. Bought it only due to I liked how it looks but seems like it’s worth using it too then :blush:

Yes, the heads are excellent so give them and all the running surfaces a really good clean with some meths or isopropyl alcohol and swabs or buds. Don’t forget the capstan and rubber too. Belts are widely available and easy to do, so well worth it. The grease Sony used tends to dry out too so worth cleaning out and re-greasing. That’s critical for getting reply speed right.

What I think is quite cool with these machines is that the cabinet is designed so you can mount it either for vertical or top-loading operation just by simply taking the chassis out and reversing it.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for this :smiley::+1: