System Pics 2024

I’d even go with all the Naim on one Fraim stack, wall mount the record player and move the speakers in more from the walls.

Can you remove the plywood under the racks ?

It’s not our money of course and recommendations are just that.

But that would be a massive upgrade of soundstage for one, & perhaps be able to show you more of what you’re trying to improve sound wise ?

Then that would give any speaker trials a better base to show you what they can do.

1 Like

The plywood plinth is a giant isolation platform.
It is fixed to the concrete slab beneath the cabin as the cabin is a timber building with a floating floor. The racks are as I like them (discussed at length previously).
I have tried mounting the TT on the wall in the past, but it doesn’t work as the building is timber and not stable enough.
I am playing with positioning, but if the speakers don’t work in the space then they just aren’t the right speaker. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
We will get there. I put the Russell K’s back in last night and the sound was so much better straight away.
I have a week to mess around with both sets and there are still a couple of options not yet tried🤔

3 Likes

Did a little bit of this yesterday, but more twiddling to come over the week…:face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

What material and substrate is your wall made from?

DG…

I should think they have - so close to the corners of the room and no toe in. Would the OP be better off with boundary speakers such as SL2s or firing straight ahead speakers like PMC 25.24s? Alternatively, move the racks to the side wall as speakers nearly always sound better with nothing in between them or if not at least move them forward so their front baffles are ahead of the racks.

1 Like

I like stand mounts but intensely dislike stands, and do not like floor standers - this possibly explains why my last two speakers of choice where strangely sized stands mounts sitting on the floor, namely Klipsch Heresy and IBLs…

5 Likes

It’s a 9 year old 44mm wall, Dunster House cabin. (5.5m x 3.5m external dimension)
We have heavily modified it with new UpVC windows and doors, plasterboard lining and of course the HiFi platform.
The void between the plasterboard and timber wall is filled with dense polystyrene and the plasterboard is mounted on free-moving batons, as the timber walls move.
The whole thing sits on a 6 inch deep, reinforced concrete slab.

3 Likes

Thanks for the prompt and detailed response.

I see what you mean about the issues relating to fitting a wall shelf.

The only thing I can suggest is fitting a thick batten to the floor as that is solid, then thick upright battens fitted to that plus some plasterboard fittings to stop lateral movement.

My plumber did something similar to fit our boiler to an internal wall made of Stramit Board (compressed straw).

The wall shelf could be fitted that so that it ets it support from the sold floor.

I used to have my wall shelf fitted to an Oak board footed to the wall to give you an idea.

DG…

9 Likes

Yes, certain stands, like black rectangular metal I don’t like at all, but open framed, and my current Solidsteel SS 6 stands work for me, and pass the aesthetic test for others in the household.

2 Likes

Choosing speakers is ever so hard, and something I find a real chore. It’s particularly difficult when you’ve had something that you really like, such as your Kelidhs. Reading back through your recent posts, I note that you preferred the Kudos 10 to the Russell Ks, yet you seem to prefer the RKs to the Kudos 20. I remember that your previous Dynaudios had bass problems, which can be quite common with larger speakers in compromised spaces. I wonder if it might be time to put aside you dislike of stand mount speakers and have a greater focus on what gives the best sound. Many stands are horribly ugly, but not all, and some can even be quite elegant.

I don’t know if you’ve tried PMC, as they are easy to place. The active option could also allow you to ditch the power amp and have fewer boxes, shelves and wires.

I also wonder if it might be possible to have the speakers firing across, but suspect a door may put paid to that idea. Having speakers too close to side walls gives a lot of reflection and can make the music sound like it’s coming through a tube. I have my speakers firing across a 3.6m wide room, with over 1m to each side, which gives a much more open, relaxed sound. It’s worth trying if it’s practical.

One decision I made after many years on the Forum is not to discuss potential changes; I just work it out with my dealer, unaided by Forum advice. It avoids posts like this! I’m sure you’ll find something that works, however the answer may not be obvious initially.

6 Likes

If the speaker placement cannot be changed, then another option is to look into acoustic panels, particularly bass traps for the corners behind the speakers and side walls to prevent the sound waves bouncing around everywhere (technical I know!) :grin:

2 Likes

Love my 20A’s, the sound I get from them is wonderful, I have no idea whether they are too polite I just love what I hear and that’s good enough for me.

But we are all different in the way we hear our music so if they’re not for you then that’s fine I’m sure that you will find speakers that make you smile.

Enjoying your journey, keep it coming.

1 Like

Family complete.

G

43 Likes

Looking good, Graeme. A nice setup there.

1 Like

Very shiny! Don’t forget to align those boxes….

2 Likes

Nice one, @GraemeH :+1:

Could you compare the active PMCs with Naim amp(s)?

1 Like

Tricky, as I’ve done a more or less ‘all in one go’ move from 500/300 OC to 300 Series active.

As I’ve noted elsewhere, it’s a significantly more enjoyable listen - in my view.

G

2 Likes

nice to hear, it is a fantastic system!

1 Like

Who’s that handsome chap on the telly? :wink:

3 Likes

In matching black with a touch of white to welcome the new arrival!

G

6 Likes