System Pics 2024

I don’t know them, will check, thanks.

Afternoon QuickSticks how are you doing with the speaker demo, has the twiddling work out any better?:+1:

1 Like

The elephant in the room?

1 Like

A couple of minor changes to my setup since I bought my 350s back in January. After trying various alternatives to the standard Naim balanced cables, I’ve settled on the AV Options SIGNAL balanced interconnects between the KDSM and 350s. Hand built from Neotech wire, these really are superb.

Since moving from an NDX2 to the Linn, I’ve tried the fibre connection a few times but have always found myself reverting back to copper via a PhoenixNET as the final switch. Once the new balanced cables had settled in, I tried fibre again and have now found a combination that works really well and betters (IMHO) the PhoenixNET including finding the Farad3 PSU powering the media converter really benefits from a Power-Line mains cable :man_shrugging:

Apart from exploring the latest Utopik PSU for the KDSM, I don’t see any more upgrades on the horizon. Saying that, given the superb work done on the 350s by Mr Sells and his team, I’ll be interested in what will finally replace the 500.

45 Likes

There’s much more than Sonus Faber ! Chiaro, Rosso Fiorentino, Zingali, Opera, Albeto…and I think I even forget some splendid small Italian brands.

3 Likes

I’m not the greatest fan of Isoblue but must admit they look superb in your room, James.
Really nice, comfy space.:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hi Silverback. I had a full day at it yesterday and made some progress, but the conclusion I’ve reached is that neither of these speakers is the correct solution.
The RK Red 120’s are fine until you start moving volume up, then the room starts to react badly.
As for the Kudos, I simply don’t like them. They are pretty bland and joyless for me and Mrs Q🤷🏻‍♂️
I have taken the decision to try Stand Mount products. So, Tuesday I will swap the RK’s for Super 10A’s and Wednesday I’m off to see my very first dealer from nearly 4 decades ago, The Sound Gallery in High Wycombe, to listen to some secret speakers. I can’t elaborate on them just now, but I am quite excited about hearing them.
Hoping to add Neat Magistra’s to the mix towards the end of the week as well.

2 Likes

Good to hear Sound Gallery still going, pretty sure I bought my Epos Es11’s from them.

Thanks Tony. The Isoblue has been a permant fixture in my system for the last 18 years - simple, but quite effective and hides the cables which keeps Mrs_n happy.

Hope all is good with you and you are enjoying the PMCs after the Ovator BMR issue.

1 Like

I really enjoyed the RK Red 100 standmount when I heard a demo some years ago. They were driven by a relatively humble Naim V1/100 system and I found them very engaging.
(Unfortunately there wasn’t enough time to give the smaller 50’s a try.)
I later heard the 120s and they were OK, but they didn’t engage me in the same way the 100s did. So if you’re intrigued by the Russel K range, maybe see if you can try one of their standmount models.

4 Likes

Got my LP12 from there in 1986.

DG…

1 Like

I bought my UnitiLite from them along with some B&W speakers many years ago. Also my PMC Twenty5.23 speakers in 2021. Found them to be very helpful - gave me some good tips on speaker mounts to use on engineered wooden floors.

2 Likes

Hi James,

All good here and really enjoying the PMCs. The BMR has been replaced on the Ovators and I put them up for sale along with the 282 and supercap - both now gone. I just felt it was time for a complete change and I couldn’t be happier.
Hope you’re well.

3 Likes

Hi QuickSticks this is the one journey that seems to require the most effort, often finding what you like the idea of but then realising they don’t work in your room must be disappointing.
Your making progress that is the main thing, sure you are maybe feeling a bit frustrated but I’m sure you will get the ideal pair in the end.
My son has been telling me to try stand mounts but a bit like you I don’t like the look of stands etc… be interesting to hear your opinion when you try the RK stand mounts, all the best and keep us updated.

1 Like

You might want to hear Neat floorstanders too. We have Xplorers in Tassie and they are very good indeed.

1 Like

Great to hear, Tony.

G

1 Like

They’re in the conversation Nick.
Probably going to listen to Elite Mystique’s & Classics in a week or so. :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Hi T hope you’re doing good and glad you are enjoying the music.

Out of interest and just in case!! We’re did you get the Ovators sorted.

ATB Graham

All good, Graham.
I got a brand new boxed BRM unit from this guy in Sweden. Cost me just over £300 including taxes and import duty. It was quite frustrating the lack of support and the search for a fix. I don’t want to go through all that again.
They served me well but it’s time to let them go.
Hope you’re well.

4 Likes

Excellent £300 is not a lot to pay for peace of mind.

Take care my friend and keep enjoying the music …G

1 Like