System Pics 2024

I’ve not listened to the PMCs but I used to have a pair of Rega ELA s in a very challenging space. The transmission line ELAs were amazing despite a very lively floor which produced some horrendous reverb with other speakers I tried. Of course, the ELAs are different to the PMCs, but you never know, the PMCs could be a surprise success.
On the flip side, I then purchased Linn Keilidhs for a subsequent room which sucked the life out of other speakers. We tried some serious competition but the Linn speakers were head and shoulders above the competition in that room despite me thinking they would never work.
Just saying that sometimes the unexpected happens! Enjoy the listening sessions and hope you get something which really works! :+1:

PS : I had a similar experience with the Linn tweeters being too inviting for small fingers! As the speakers were relatively new, I had the tweeters replaced and they stayed in my system through many upgrades including a three x LK 140 Aktiv set up. Ultimately they went when the amps were no longer serviceable. Here’s to hoping something works out in your space as well as the Keilidhs did.

1 Like

Erin (on youtube) picked the Special 40’s as one of his top picks for 2023. This is despite finding some flaws in his full review a few months earlier.
In his mostly objective review, he particularly liked the dynamic range and wide radiation.

Check out Erin’s Audio Corner
My Top Picks of 2023: Must-Haves Under $3000

1 Like

Looking great!

I spent an hour or so with the Special 40 at a dealer here in NYC and thought they sounded very, very good indeed. Despite Dynaudio’s “rep” for needing lots of power, these were fed by a 25wpc Line Magnetic tube/valve integrated; the 40s imaged really well and made abundant clean bass for their size.

Good luck with Mrs. QS!

2 Likes

I love Dynaudio have owned a few sets now, you may also want to try Borrenson x series if you can just another option :grin:

1 Like

@QuickSticks - Just a thought, if you like quality Danish standmounts that work well with Naim, have you considered Audiovector, specifically the R1? It comes in 3 levels of quality for various budgets.

I’ve not heard them but I do know their floorstanding big brothers very well, the R8s which are the best speakers I’ve ever heard.

Inbetween are the R3s and R6s floorstanders too. I’m not in any way associated with Audiovector btw.

3 Likes

I think the stand mounted speakers look really good in your cabin. They look ‘right’. I like the finish too, although it’s hard to make it out in the picture. I can understand Mrs Q’s position on the stands, which do look particularly dominant. If you like the sound though, maybe there’s another finish which would work as well as some more open stands.

3 Likes

Did you know they as well as black, the stands are available in satin white and silver? The latter would match the Fraim uprights rather nicely.

6 Likes

Yeah Nigel, I saw that.
Not sure that either colour would work better than Black unless with White speakers though🤷🏻‍♂️

My thinking was that the silver stands would echo your Fraim, which after all looks fine with black boxes. Maybe the blackness is coming from the flooring and I wonder if you really need it, or whether the speakers could go directly on the carpet beneath. It’s hard to see what exactly your arrangement is of course.

When I was choosing my speakers I went for walnut in order to minimise contrast with the black stands. I don’t want to over promote what I have, but the small PMCs are very good and their stands are quite narrow, which would allow you to get them further from the walls, which may help.

@QuickSticks if you were happy with the Linns before couldnt you source another pair??
Or is this an opportunity to have fun trying out alternatives :slight_smile:

Just had a heated discussion with Mrs Q about this very subject. I also think Silver stands ‘could’ work with Cherry or similar wood speakers.
PMC are definitely in the conversation Nigel, just waiting for Tony to return from France to take this whole process to the next level now…:face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

This is a conversation that has also just been had with Mrs Q, Mark.
I will certainly consider vintage Linn’s if necessary, but it’s really difficult to find a pair in really good condition🤷🏻‍♂️
The journey this far has been peppered with both Pleasure & Pain, as is often the case with these processes🤦🏻‍♂️

2 Likes

‘Heated’ doesn’t sound good.

How to reconcile she wants/he wants?
Good luck to you both.

3 Likes

Morning sunshine.

G

42 Likes

I know the feeling well but then Mrs S has no interest in music and even less in Hifi.
I’m sure things will work out for the best in the end, sometimes this can be a frustrating hobby.
All the best with your journey which ever direction it takes👍

2 Likes

+1 for Audiovectors. Work really well in a variety of spaces and very tolerant of distance to the rear wall. Have a floor standing pair but liked the stand mounted as well. The AMT in the Arette models is absolutely worth having - sadly I can’t justify them (yet).

3 Likes

Almost impossible to get a decent picture with that mirror spy glass …

37 Likes

Clever how it looks ultra modern and retro cool all at the sme time. Very difficult to pull that look off.

5 Likes

It’s a lovely looking piece of kit. Minimal, modern and retro chic!

3 Likes

Thank you for your warm words!

1 Like