System Pics 2024

So it is custom made by a carpenter. Thank you :slight_smile:

Yes, it was :blush:

1 Like

Not my system sadly – I was in Toronto last week and popped into Bay Bloor Radio where this McIntosh system was on display.

Looked a bit of a beast from afar but I was drawn in with all those tubes aglow and signal indicators flickering. On closer inspection it looked magnificent.

Didn’t have time for a soundcheck. Does anyone have any experience of McIntosh and how it compares with Naim?

19 Likes

Nce rig, at first I thought you owned a bunch of Nait 50s, wow those LEDs are bright :sun_with_face:

1 Like

I’ve never seen that writing on the Isobariks before. Is it because the grilles have dropped down, or a custom thing?

@HungryHalibut the very earliest ‘Briks had the legend above the grilles and, I don’t know, I just really liked it, so I’m making myself some custom labels for my 1988 ‘Briks (custom top labels, too)…

24 Likes

Naim tree

12 Likes

And why not?

2 Likes

@HungryHalibut

Prototype top labels… I am such a nerd…

17 Likes

McIntosh is a brand I seem go have an allergic reaction to. The logo is a bit too Third Reich for me.

That said, I’d be lying if I said every McIntosh system I’d heard was anything but excellent. Most recently driving JBL L100 Classics. Like a warm luxurious blanket.

5 Likes

Hi Quicksticks,
This post might be a little old for your speaker quest, but I went through something similar 18 months ago, and Mike and Andy at Criterion were simply amazing for their help and dealer support as I tried numerous models from them.

If you haven’t decided yet, then you have the opportunity to try the YG Peaks as they are main dealers for YG Acoustics and were involved in their development given their connection with many aspects of Cambridge and its research base.

I ended up with YG Ascents after trying Kudos, Sonus and others, and when we hit the bullseye, it was instant love and it’s been that way ever since. Criterion is simply the best dealer for support and joy of the whole experience, so I hope you get as lucky as we did!

30 Likes

Would you want your room to look like this? Unless on a bad trip?

2 Likes

33 Likes

Great “System Pic” :+1:
The USM modular furniture is such a nice idea.

Nice system too
R

1 Like

May I suggest to work a bit on the coffee? Colour of crema should ideally match the colour to the record plate mat… :wink:

5 Likes

That’s a beautiful veneer on that loudspeaker.

Italian walnut is just beautiful :heart:

1 Like

So, continuing with the Speakers saga, we currently have a pair of Neat Ministra’s on loan from Tony @ Basically Sound and they are doing a fine job.

Switching them to PMC Stands and playing around with positioning has really brought there SQ to the fore. Good sound stage, broad frequency range with great control and timing.
There is a downside however and it comes in low volume listening. They simply lose the full Bass range that we are familiar with.
Will be trying their bigger brothers, the Magistra’s, next week.
Mrs Q is a fan but was sad at that little missing piece of the whole picture. Roll on the Majistra’s… :crossed_fingers:t4: :pray:t4:

28 Likes

How is the high frequency response through the ribbon tweeter?

2 Likes

Superb!
Edit: It is different to the sound I’m used to from the Linn’s, but I have become very comfortable with them very quickly. They are a fine product.

4 Likes