System Pics 2024

My lovely new Atom HE and activated PMCs. It sounds really good.

54 Likes

I really liked the Nova on the lower shelf HH as showed off the lamp really well

Did you consider the Atom HE there ?

I was keen to have the HE on the top. It’s much easier to change the volume and turn it on and off. The lamp, made by the British company Original BTC is one of my favourite things, and I think it still looks ok, though not quite as good as before. It’s a reasonable compromise I feel.

1 Like

It’s possible that the cover is causing some microphonics. You might want to experiment with different isolation feet that work better together. By the way, that’s a fantastic piece of kit, congrats! How does it compare to the Vertere/Grado combo?

1 Like

Thank you @llatpoh76 Yes you could be right. I’m still listening and I’m certain that the lid off sounds better, much better. I proceeded to taking the lid off the SW1X Lpu2 phono preamp too and the ABBAS DDC. I’ll put the lids on only to avoid the dust when I’m not listening. Yet again I’m shocked that this could even make a difference.

The Vertere/Grado combo with the sw1x phono pre is very detailed but I still haven’t got the balance right. I need to play around with tubes to get the tone to where I want it.

Going back to the lid off the DAC, I didn’t even think that this DAC could sound any better and now there is so much more ease and flow to the music. Like a veil has been lifted yet again. Chuffed to bits right now.

2 Likes

Perhaps adding an automotive sound dampening material, such as Dynamat, to the inside of each lid might help reduce microphonics. I did this to the inside of my Arcam Alpha 5 CDP which seemed to help refine its sound. Arcam themselves employed a similar idea with their ‘stealth mat’ technology in the FMJ range.

3 Likes

Possibly too early to judge but how does the Atom HE/active PMC combination compare with the Nova/passive system?

I don’t think I’ve heard a Nait 2, but I have owned a Nait 1 since 1986. Despite having upgraded through the range, there’s something very realistic about the musical performance of the Nait. Great little amplifier.

4 Likes

lovely clean set up there Nigel

1 Like

That natural oak and black combination looks most excellent. I need to keep that in mind for my speakers and NaimFraim.

HH’s next upgrade. :wink:

10 Likes

The Fraims are actually maple - they don’t make them in natural oak

I’ve had the cherry and black Fraims in the past but much prefer the maple

is that the early NAT00?

1 Like

Your Rega book looks lonely!

Yes I am still puzzled that the Nait 1 does what it does. I refused to believe when people said that it could match anything for musicality within its performance envelope but it absolutely can.

I’ve pitted it against a 500 series setup and a tube hybrid setup and it held its own.

2 Likes

How’s the PMC Actives + Atom HE settling in?

1 Like

It’s very good, thanks. I’m pleased I did the swap.

2 Likes

Looks great. I’m thinking of activating my 25 23s sometime soon.
The lamp is beautiful, have you thought of the noise the LED generates though.
I moved mine away from the stack and noticed a noticeable gain in clarity, most noticed on CD strangely.
Maybe just turn off or get a NOS incandescent

Following a visit from the marvelous Tony of Basically Sound, my Neat Majistra’s in American Walnut are now perfectly placed in their new home and on their lovely Acoustic Energy Piano Black Reference Stands.

We were going to have the American Walnut stands, but they are not currently available. Very happy with the black ones in fairness, as their was always a chance that the 2 Walnuts wouldn’t have matched.
Believe me when I tell you that my lovely Grandson’s will not be coming anywhere near these for a very long time :rofl:

42 Likes

Looks great.
Good luck with all the listening to be enjoyed.

Just curious, what have you put under the speaker stands, is that stone or slate or something?

BW
R