Tangerine Audio Karmen

The Karmen is loads better than the Khan. So much so that it’s almost as good as the Linn stock top plate.

P.S.: I appreciate this is a minority opinion, so worth elaborating a bit from my notes from a long time ago. It adds a lot of dynamic slam to the deck, potentially there is some apparent reduction in surface noise as well. That said, I could still sense a slight bit of harshness in the treble that for me made it too much of a trade-off. This however is the one dimension where it was a lot better than the Khan.

I can totally see why most people would prefer the Karmen to the Linn top plate, to be fair.

Why bother changing from the Linn stock plate if it’s just almost as good as it.?

Not sure why you’re asking me - I didn’t. :slight_smile:

Neither would I if it’s only nearly as good.
Sorry if it seemed a personal question it was only my reaction to the comment in agreement. :+1:t2:

I think because not everyone agrees with that conclusion.

2 Likes

It was a tongue-in-cheek way of phrasing it originally.

1 Like

It works wonderfully with my PU7, KRad2 and Keel. I could see how it would be too much with an Ekos SE

Ah, I don’t actually recall if the demo was with an Ekos SE or an Aro. At the time I was using an Aro, but this wasn’t on my deck.

Given the current waiting lists on anything Rolex, they might as well ALL be discontinued. 99% of all models on display in Rolex dealers are not for sale and some don’t even have any movements in them - just display cases.

Probably the world’s greatest example of demand massively outstripping supply.

1 Like

Small dealer in Mannheim, Germany we know. They have 900 on back order!!!

1 Like

I asked a dealer recently what the waiting time would be for a GMT Master…… he sighed and said “10 years if you’re lucky!”

1 Like

Rolex must be doing something right, to have such huge back orders.

Oh, yes, beautiful hand-made watches.

1 Like

Originally from London. Another one that got away!

Yes, to me there was a harshness in the treble that the top plate produced and I didn’t hear any advantage over the standard plate. Maybe I’ll revisit it again some day to have a listen again, but I did hear give it a good listen the first time.

Founded by a Hans Wildorf, I believe.

Moved to Switzerland to escape high UK taxes!

Wouldn’t happen today.

The words Rolex and escape have connotations

Hoping you are well and enjoying your Great Escape

best wishes

Ian

1 Like

Thank you, Ian, I am absolutely fine, thanks. Listening to my favourite radio programme of the week, BBC Radio 3’s Record Review, and just about to make myself a cappuccino.

Yes, Rolex famously supplied watches to Allied prisoners in Nazi POW camps during World War 2, and deferred payment until the POWs had been repatriated after the end of the War.

History doesn’t relate what would have happened if the Nazis had prevailed.

1 Like

Just arrived……a triangular block of aluminium that sits on your record and makes things better………NO, it’s not an April Fool’s Day joke. Initial “with & without” tests show a clear improvement. Tangerine Audio Evenstar.

Looking forward to an elongated session this evening with my favourite albums.

Probably the easiest “user-installed” LP12 upgrade I’ve ever done.:rofl:

Nice packaging from Tangerine Audio too.

Thank you to Wayne at Cymbiosis for shipping this to me only hours after you received your order from TA.

2 Likes

Ooh…do tell more later.

When playing The Dark Side of the Moon, make sure you align it with the prism on the label.

3 Likes