Taylor Swift - Person of the Year

And now a fourth Grammy!

Whether you like her music or not, clearly she has been very successful at what she does. Pretty impressive really.

6 Likes

Are you sure about that???
I watched the Grammys on Sunday night where she accepted her 13 and 14th Grammy.

1 Like

I think it was her 4th Record of the Year. I didn’t keep up with the Grammy count.

1 Like

You beat me to it! Yes, 4th Grammy for album of the year. A new record :joy:.

I just saw this thread pop up in the current list. I must be in a minority as I’m not aware that I’ve ever heard anything by Ms. Swift.

3 Likes

You obviously don’t have daughters or granddaughters. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Clive you aren’t alone .
I just watched the video up thread and enjoyed it.It seemed pleasent enough.
I do know shes incredibly famous.
I remember when Isreal started bombing Gaza and it was the 2nd week.
On the BBC news they prioritised Taylor Swift cancelling a outdoor concert in Brazil due to thunderstorms to the first item on the news over people being annihilated in Palestine.
I was shocked TBH.
It epitomised this shallow celebrity culture we live in .

3 Likes

Quite.

2 Likes

I live under a rock apparently. One dominated by work and a stream of music selected esoterically based on connections from band members that were in other bands etc. I do watch TV sometimes, and Netflix so I have seen Swift. I’ve seen actors sing along to snippets of songs I’ve later learned are Swift’s.

And yet somehow, I have survived never having once heard a single one of her actual songs. Even I’m not sure how this is possible.

In terms of celebrity, she seems to represent the same sort of construct that Madonna did at her peak in the early 90s. I won’t slag off Swift (despite never heard her) or people’s like of her because when I was young I probably bought ever single Madonna album for a decade. She also revolutionised how media was assembled around her and controlled how her music was delivered and consumed. I see a lot of parallels.

3 Likes

Not her fault though.

1 Like

I never said it was

I know…. Just saying…. :grinning:.

2 Likes

I know :laughing:
Watching her video up thread not knowing anything about her I thought it was a nice song.
No beef with Taylor at all.If her fans love her music and get pleasure from it and it cheers them up.
Thats all that matters.

1 Like

I’m certainly not a big fan. But much of her material is pleasing enough to my (old) ears. What has impressed though is her (business) success and determination in what still is a cut throat man’s world, particularly in choosing to re-record her older material after wrangles over ownership. A 4th Grammy for album of the year puts her ahead of the likes Frank Sinatra, Stevie Wonder and Paul Simon who each have 3. Quite an achievement really. Not to mention the AI Fakes online she (and her fans) have had to deal with. The online world can be a nasty place at times.

1 Like

Once I’m finished here on FlightRadar, I may pop on one of her albums.

:shushing_face:

2 Likes

In support of her stand I might suggest that you listen to the ‘Taylor’ versions which she has re-recorded, rather than the originals.

1 Like

I definitely endorse the statement from @MrFixit. She is re-recording all of her earlier albums to regain ownership of her own music.
The ‘Taylor’s Version’ of Speak Now is a fine album and well worth a listen.

3 Likes

Missed that one when you posted it.

I decided to see what all the brew ha-ha is about. I streamed two of her songs on Qobuz. One a country tune and the other a pop tune. Both considered some best examples. Fortunately, I was smart enough to stop both of them early enough to keep from dying of utter boredom.

You’re probably not her target market. I believe most swifties find the lyrics / story telling resonate with them. Hence “all too well” full 10 minute version is a big fan favourite because of the words.
There’s a significant amount of her music that does nothing for me either, like “shake it off” or “me!” But folklore and evermore I think are both great; of course it might be the influence of Aaron Dessner from The National, but then again I’m not a fan of that band but probably because of the singer’s voice.

1 Like