"The 100 Best Albums of the 21st Century."

I have six, young hipster that I am but none after 2006.

Ali Farka Touré and Toumani Diabaté - In The Heart of The Moon (2005)

Alicia Keys - Songs in A Minor (2001)

Amy Winehouse - Frank (2003)

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not (2006)

The Streets - Original Pirate Material ( (2002)

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (2006)

Three for me. Nick Cave, Lana del Rey and Amy Winehouse.

Own quite a bit of stuff made after 2000 but I am not surprised that there is so little overlap between that list a list containing just about the entire discography of Kanye West. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Just 2 for me and I am not surprised.

9 for me - not albums I listen to very often. I suppose I am old and old-fashioned in my taste for music.

2 for me - never thought I would ‘sound like my parents’, as, for me, no matter what genre - if it’s good, it’s good: the majority of chart music, for some years, is drivel!
And where was London Grammars 1st album - did I miss it? 🥸🤨

I’ve got 13. Don’t know if that is unlucky or not?
Interesting to note that the poll was of 45 music writers, clearly not of music listeners( on the whole).

1 Like

I only have 1 in my ROON music library: Amy Winehouse - “Back to Black”.

I can only recall listening to it once - quite a few years ago.

Ok, got 20 (after a recount) always been a fan of D’Angelo since his debut, then if you have one Kayne album you’ve probably got more, so that accounts for some. The XX isn’t a surprise and easily the most played out of the 17, actually think it’s 18 as have fleet foxes too but don’t think that got played beyond first couple of tracks ever.

Never got Amy Winehouse.

Great to see Wild Beasts in there, what a band, lucky enough to see their final concert, was absolutely epic.

JT, comon, I can’t be the only one out there with a bit of Timberlake.

I have all of one, the number one. I prefer the music of earlier years.

Likewise, just the number one

This is why it is such a ‘strange’ list - music writers not music listeners.

1 Like

A few albums were from the year 2000, which isn’t in the 21st Century.

This exact thought crossed my mind.

3 Likes

Well spotted. At least I am not Paul Dacre!

have 11 of them- most of the rest ive never heard of
what am I missing?

Just two…

I assumed this thread would be crap but against my better judgement had a look and as is often the case with the forum found myself amused.

I’ll own up to four (Amy * 2, PJ Harvey and Vampire Weekend) and whilst I’d heard of about half the artists that’s only because occasionally I browse through the list of new releases on Spotify.

Good post.

It’s interesting how many people here talk about owning albums. I haven’t owned an album, in the sense of purchasing one, for about 10 years - everything streamed. I have listened to many of the albums in the list, have a number saved in my favourites and then also have a number of songs from some of these albums in playlists. When I talk to my kids about music they don’t talk about albums, only artists, songs and playlists. The way in which music is consumed has changed so much and reading all the comments here about how many albums people own feels like a bygone era.

4 Likes

Hmm 23 for me. Only Bowie is essential for me though for sentimental & other reasons.

1 Like