"The 100 Best Albums of the 21st Century."

11 and I’m surprised it’s that many. For one thing I listen mostly to classical.

That has been my view for the whole of my life, including childhood and young adulthood, with just a few decent things from time to time and the occasional very short period when there were a several good things in a fairly short space of time.

I wonder if it means people who write music, or people who wtite about music (journalists and critics). I suspect the latter.

I don’t own any of them, but I have heard of maybe 15 of the bands/artists. And I have odd tracks from, maybe, 5 of them. So I’m well past it.

I’ve got 21.

I never realised Kanye West was so critically acclaimed :blush:.

Surprised that Policia, Haim, Sharon Van Etten, Courtney Barnett, & Belle and Sebastian are not featured.

Yes, it seems that nowadays music is more like consumed than listened to which really is a bit sad.

1 Like

I think it’s a good list.

OMG. I do not even know so many of these. But on my count I “own” or have some financial investment in 24 which surprised me. But that really comes from liking a few artists that are so talented they represent a lot…Lana Del Rey (where are her last 2). PJ, Kendrick, Kanye, Radiohead.

I’ve got 3 of them 66, 57 and 1

Surprised not to see Katie Melua on there, of my go to female vocalists for late night easy listening

Nada, zip, zilch, none of them. Not my generation I guess.

I feel sorry for folks that weren’t around in the 60’s and 70’s.

5 Likes

I have a few and a few on the wish list. Being from the Guardian there’s a few surprising omissions.
Where’s Thundercat, Kamasi Washington, Esperanza Spalding,?

1 Like

The other side of this is that it’s never been easier to explore so much diverse music. Streaming has opened up so many new bands and genres of music that I would otherwise probably never have found. Without streaming I’m not sure I would have got back into serious hifi.

I think there’s way too much hiphop in the list for a ‘Best Albums’ overview…

In terms of alternative, i’m missing iconic albums like:

• A Perfect Circle (2000 Mer de Noms)
  • Coldplay (2000 Parachutes)
  • Keane (2004 Hopes and Fears)
  • Gorillaz (2005 Demon Days)
  • Queens of the Stone Age (2002 Rated R)
  • Counting Crows (2004 Films About Ghosts)
  • Linkin Park (2000 Hybrid Theory)

etc etc…

Instead we get At The Drive In and Arcade Fire, really??

I’m also missing these singer-songwriters:

• Norah Jones (2003 Come Away With Me)
  • Corinne Bailey Rae (2006 self titled album)
  • Goldfrapp (2000 Felt Mountain / 2013 Tales Of Us)

But instead we get 4x Kanye West albums, 2x Jay-Z, 2x Beyoncé albums and Britney Spears, really??

2 Likes

Very good comment! Although every now and then, I purchase an album, the vast majority is streaming here.

Only two.

St.Vincent - St.Vincent. (A Christmas present from my daughter).
Anthony and the Johnsons – I am a bird now.

Probably down to the fact my music buying choice is based what I’ve heard and liked. Not what music writers/critics like. :wink:

That’s true - but sadly, there seems to be no ‘curator’ of current music these days - I’m thinking of the likes of John Peel, Bob Harris, Annie Nightingale and the likes - that I know of, anyway. Bob Harris was the main man as far as I was concerned.

1 Like

I agree. However, streaming for me is mostly random background music (more like radio). Still sometimes I pick up something interesting and then buy the full album which I would not likely to have come across otherwise.

As for the topic itself. The list seems to contain a quite good selection of releases from the first 20 years of this century. There is surely good music which has been excluded but that is always the case when someone tries to create best of type lists. I spotted 17 albums which I have played regularly myself…

Steve wright has been hammering the new Tom Jones album.

Although Frank ocean is the recent music artist that has turned the most academics to revaluate - music writers love that.

Says much about this cohort of which I’m a proud member! Songs in A minor, Alicia Keys is the only one I ever play. I own The Radiohead albums and I appreciate their originality, but never play them. Their a bit emo and miserable tbh. Amy’s life was a tragic story, but let’s all be really honest, did anyone think this album a classic before she died? I don’t recall anyone saying so and they’d be stretching if they did. Runs for cover…
So I score 4, with one that I might ever play again.
Having said that, my Son has previously introduced me to Frank Ocean and I should investigate.
Also, isnt this a bit of a poser , British, ‘muso’s’ list.
Where’s Ben Howard , Ed Sheehan, Black Eyed Peas, Katy Perry, John Mayer, Pink, Lady GaGa, Coldplay, Beyoncé’s better albums, Eminem, London Grammar, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Zac Brown, Alison Krauss, Derek Trucks (just a very small cross section) , on and on etc. Etc. ?

1 Like