The 2019 Naim new products

It’s an amp :slight_smile: it just needs inputs and a volume control. And speaker terminals…

There seems to be a lot of ill informed statements about the world moving on towards consoludation of components.

It hasn’t. While a dramatic drop in home ownership and increase in apartment living have made large systems a tough sell these days, all-in-one music centres have been around twice as long as I’ve been alive. More integrated components have always sold better than multi-box separates and for the exact same reasons (space, cost). The higher end was multi box and costly in general but there were always ultra low box count high end stuff in every generation. Linn and Devialet aren’t offering anything new in that general respect.

Like Naim, most high end stuff is still focused on isolation and dedicated components. A few go for the exact same approach with offboard power supplies; others do isolation differently giving similar (or more) boxes for other reasons. I can think of a newish 4 box streamer from another brand that cost 3 times more than the ND555/555PS and still has no volume control.

Similarly, using just 1-2 sources has always been the norm. Extra inputs don’t add much cost to a unit but removing them would lose customers so why bother changing?

Most of the requests I read seem like wishes from people that don’t really fit Naim but just want to buy the Naim badge.

3 Likes

Spot on, couldn’t of put it better myself.

Mike

Internet radio for my Core please, and continued firmware updates for my NDX

1 Like

Not sure where you live but in the North West they can’t build them fast enough. And I am not sure that the decrease in home ownership has as much impact on owning separates. After all, even people who rent still hve the same space they would have had if they had bought.

All in one music centres may have been around for decades however streaming hasn’t. And that is what is making the difference. Various formats have become obsolete and are being kept barely alive mainly by older generations with plenty of cash and equal amounts of nostalgia. The remaining formats are losing ground to streaming rapidly. In 2018 streaming counted for 75% of total music industry revenues in US. Vinyl has seen a revival however it still remains a niche market.

The more wifi technology develops and the cheaper digital media gets the less one would need separate players. The world is moving towards non physical media and eventually that will be the only one available.

So, yes the world is moving towards consolidation of components.

I think people want to buy the Naim reputation rather than the badge. Although that may not be the intention the statement can be seen as elitist.

2 Likes

When should we expect the new price list in the U.K.? 1st April or 1st May? New price lists for 2019 have now all been issued in the Benelux, Germany and Austria, France and Switzerland.

Chag -

Naim announced back in October there would be no price rises for Classic or 500 range products in 2019. Probably UK specific.

1 Like

Hi - controversial one here … I think the NAP500 could be tweaked to say NAP750 status by doing a minor rework and introducing a second power supply … it would not replace the 500 but would closer to the statement.

2 Likes

Like many I would like an updated 272 with new streamer tech. However I have my doubts about seeing one since if has not been released yet. It seems like one could have and should have already been released if it was coming. That said I’m considering moving to a SN2/NDX2 instead but will hold out through the summer just in case a replacement does come.

2 Likes

Thanks Gazza. Indeed, I now remember. I am considering one last shopping item before the wall. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Chag -

I think it’s fair to say that a significant number of posts on this topic indicate a preference for a 272 upgrade.
If they are not already attending to this matter I think Naim should give careful consideration to customer demand.
The Uniti range has opened a new market for Naim and I think when people look to upgrade from their Nova they will look for a combined streamer/pre amp approach into a separate power amp. If Naim fail to meet this demand other manufacturers are already attending to this market.

2 Likes

How about DR technology inside an ATC active loudspeaker? Though, being from Naim, it would probably require at least one external PSU for each loudspeaker :grinning:

2 Likes

I’d love a new NAC N272 that brings the sound quality improvements of the new streamer range. I do understand the argument that a separate preamp is a better solution in terms of ultimate sound quality, but I like the convenience of a combined box and am prepared to put up with the compromises to reduce the box count.
As others have said, a combined streamer/DAC/preamp is something other companies offer with apparent sonic success, Auralic and Linn to name just two. A dealer recently told me that naim are not planning to replace the 272 because it doesn’t fit into their new strategy. Of course, I know few people really know what naim is really up to, so I took his comment with a pinch of salt, but sound quality and user experience have certainly moved on from naim’s original streamer platform as the new naim range shows.
I continue to enjoy my 272, it sounds as good as it ever did. But if naim can’t, or don’t want to, improve the current 272, I will certainly switch brands when the time comes to change. I don’t want the other options naim has, like replacing my 250DR with a Supernait 2, to accommodate a NDX2, it’s a big investment for a sideways move. But in the end it’s business, naim sell what works for them, and I buy what works for me. Hopefully the two coincide, but if not, there will be many alternatives and any particular price point I choose.

5 Likes

I am also on the upgrade path and looking and so many choices. Even streamer who are able to upgrade. You spend a lot of money so something what is able to upgrade makes sense. And i also will wait on the new 272 but if it will not come my 25 years with Naim will stop. I want a two box systeem not more. So a 250 and a new 372 will do it for me. So lets wait and see what happens.

1 Like

NDX2/SN2. Job done.

3 Likes

Currently looking at this option - an upgrade to the Nova, which will move to the office/media room. I’d think an NDX2 and SN2 would beat a N272/250, and it leaves you with a better source for a future upgrade if desired, plus you get a far better streamer. I also think if there was a N272 replacement we would hold have seen it with the other new streamers, as Naim are marketing 2019 as the year of the new streamers.

2 Likes

When the forum visited Naim last April, Jason from Naim started with a 272/250 then on to NDX5XS2 with SN2…the latter was better able to pull out detail. The NDX2 followed and again was better than the NDX5XS2…add a power supply and it really was a class act.

3 Likes

They have DR‘ed the power, new streaming line, next thing is the pre amp…my 2cents…

Given that from the 282 up all the preamps use external power supplies anyway, which were the first items to be DR’d after the statement release some years ago, I’d say that the preamps already have the DR upgrade.

Is this the ‘requests’ thread? :wink:

What ever happens one little suggestion… A built in switch… not even a switch just TWO switched lan ports. For 100% assurance I run my NAS in the rack so the minimum LAN run possible (0.3m cat7 lan cable). However that means a small switch in the rack as well - lan in, lan to nas, lan to NDX. If the NDX had two lan ports then it would mean no switch i.e. backbone to NDX, NAS to NDX. A big simplification all round. Such a simple thing to do and makes a significant change.

1 Like