The 2019 Naim new products

you should look at the “ is preamp a thing of the past thread”. Some have tried without the pre, with relatively poor results.

Maybe a Naim mains extension block?

naim switch, naim ethernet cable, powerblock, and turntable. Probably we will never see a naim turntable, but the 3 first would be cool.

It will be great. The full package :blush:

1 Like

And maybe the DL2 can have an ovator style BMR suspension instead of the cut out in the wood around the midrange. Naim have all the knowledge, maybe they can contract focal with the manufacturing, but ATC would be better.

I don’t think we’ll see a Naim switch either …

1 Like

And remember the SQ reasons will be related to the hardware limitations avaiable in those Naim products and their physical designs and degree of cross coupling.

We know currently Naim digital products are very sensitive to processing noise… hence why even the relatively trivial task of de oding WAV vs FLAC can sound different… so based with such an envinment, more involved computational processing with that architecture such as for user controlled parametric filtering (aka room correction) is just not going to cut it.

Now there is nothing stopping Naim putting that processing power in a device like an updated Unitiserve and then deliver the resultant modified pcm over an Ethernet at 32 bit or higher… that should have the potential for no sonic degradation and provide great flexibility…
In a way this is what they do with their Roon implementation with the new generation streamers, it’s just they rely on a third party ‘Unitiserve’ ie a Roon Core.

In the world of digital audio, much of it of it is about modularity, separation and decoupling… ie truly networked products

Chag,

I have had Kan I and Kan II, and for what I can remember by my then taste, an A&R A60 complemented the Kan Is better – the former warm and bodily, the latter rather enthusiastic and forensic. The Nait 1 – well, I was young and didn’t had the time to start understanding it before I moved to a 42.5/140. But I dare say that time has been very generous with it, it’s become a myth but it was just a very nice, low powered integrated with a certain lack of body and authority. As is a rule in any thing of life, I do not think that there were many speakers, then, to match the Nait properly, and only today we have amps that would drive at perfection speakers that are discontinued since decades.

So it’s life,
Max

1 Like

Max;

Thanks for your reply. It appears that we have been on the same road together with a few others.
I did not take the time to understand the Nait at the time: This resonates so well.

Cheers,

Chag -

:small_blue_diamond: Consoglieri,…If I’m going to be honest,…I do not understand why not Naim has come up with a “Naim mains extension block” already decades ago.

Everyone talks about Naim’s products to be star-earthed.
But then,it’s incredibly hard to find a star-earthed mains extension block.
So unfortunately most Naim-systems are used without star-earth.
Which then also makes the owner of the music-system get worse Soundquality.

Sharpening Naim,.Think of,.“Attention To Detail”.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They did have an unoffocial box ages ago they used at shows for convenience. A classic box with something like 12 mains leads directing soldered to bus bars inside.

More than one person asked them to make them one but as it was not certified for safety it remained just a way of reducing cables at shows.

:small_blue_diamond: Feeling_zen,…It is rumored,…I myself have heard it from the Swedish Naim-distributor,that there should be something in this area.

If it’s from Naim or another manufacturer,I don’t know.
But this I heard about a year ago,…so when it might come something I don’t know.

/Peder :slightly_smiling_face:

The Unitiserve had some functionality added over it’s lifespan, so maybe the Naim Core will too, the obvious one being to make it a Roon Core, as Innuos have done with their servers. Perhaps allowing third party stuff like Roon to run on their hardware will be an easier path for Naim, rather than having to develop and maintain more of their own.

An updated 282 and 252 level preamp that fits today’s world where people are using fewer sources and don’t record. Most people who go digital route all digital sources through a streamer/DAC like an NDX2.

A new preamp could be very focused with fewer channels and more invested in the electronics for those channels.

2 Likes

About 20 years ago my friendly dealer made me a bespoke block for my system. Forum rules prevent me from adding detail. However, I have used it ever since and remember being delighted with it. Probably due an unplug and polish!

Stu

Or prefereably more NAC inputs that are configurable as either DIN or RCA with an indicator on the button of what it’s assigned to… perhaps linked to automation programming, and the monitor bus channels are more configurable for either recording or headphones … with the latter controlled with the master volume…
I find myself running out of inputs occasionally, and having a seperate volume controlled output bus for a headphone amp would be excellent… I realise this might start to become more like a mixing desk :slight_smile:
But the record outs are extremely useful, just a bit restricted. But I suspect Naim have the balance right between those that don’t use those features, and those that want more from them…

Star earthing or more appropriately star grounding is important for signal grounding… this avoids circulating ground currents and provides a common reference.
Naim use this in their preamps… the way Naim does this decouples it from the requirements of any sort of star grounding requirement in the mains… really clever thinking from Naim here. The ground mains reference is from one of the sources… traditionally the CDP with Naim, but another source can be used with its ground switch flipped to chassis.

why do you think more of an updated unitserve, vs uniticore, Simon?

I meant either really

So are you saying that a star earthed mains block is not needed because Naim deal with it between their primary source and preamp and thence to power supplies through Burndies (?) and Interconnects(?)?

I suppose the mains block plug order which is important is more about current flows and associated noise effects?

Phil