The 300 Series - Just Listening Experiences

Apologies GeoffC

So the NAC 332 stand alone better than the 252/SCDR ?

Can only use the 252 with SCDR?

1 Like

Will give it a go and see. Nothing to lose.

1 Like

A number of years ago, before I downsized to the SN2, I had a NAC 252 / SuperCap which I used with a NAP 160 (which was fully serviced by naim HQ). Before that I had NAC 82 / 2 x HiCaps with the 160 power amplifier.

My experience with those systems leads me to the view that the new NAC 332 is the most capable and musical naim preamplifier I have heard in my system, even without the new external power supply.

It is up to others to do their own demonstration and decide for themselves - my decision is made!

6 Likes

@nicnaim - Sorry missed that thanks :pray:t2:

@GeoffC - I replied to you in error but your views were welcome thanks.

1 Like

Has anyone heard active 350s, maybe vs active 250s (NC)?

Pick up completed this morning :+1:
First some pictures, words to follow a bit laterā€¦

23 Likes

Very Nice !

Looking at your profile, i take it the 555PS is now powering the NSS333 via a new cable set ?

1 Like

Yes, thats right @james_n
And then Superlumina DIN interconnect from NS333 to SN2, new Burndy cable set to connect NC to legacy Classic

3 Likes

Something warmly reassuring seeing the lavender interconnect included in the box.

And then something strangely unsettling seeing that the need for destressing burndies has not been engineered out.

Nowt as queer as folk!

.sjb

3 Likes

Seeing that just makes me want one! This whole hi-fi thing is a drug which, by association, makes me a junkie!

2 Likes

They should have discussed cables with Puritan audio. Their Ultimate power cable is the softest most flexible cable Iā€™ve seen. And the reason for this is lose cable transfer vibrations less than stiff. Something naim already know of course.

@110dB Thanks!

1 Like

I went to a 300 series event last night at Hawthorne Stereo in Seattle. They had NPX300 power supplies on both the 333 & 332. 350 power amps and even a Solstice Turntable! Unfortunately the Focal Diablo Utopia standmounts ruined what could have been a great demo. Sterile, lifeless, boring sound came out of those speakers. It was a bummer as Iā€™m sure the 300 series were not to blame. Shame dealers are required to use such terrible speakers as part of the ā€œshowā€.

I plan to go back soon and hear the 300 Series with passive ATC50ā€™s. That should be fun.

12 Likes

Looks like 300 series ship with a basic power cord not a Powerline lite??

In that photo, it looks like a Powerline Lite to me.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a shame Chris the shop used Focals for the demo. I know some people like them (which is totally cool) but i have exactly the same reaction to them that you have. Sterile, glassy, analytical, lifeless. I donā€™t get it. Iā€™ll take Proac, Atc active or passive, Quad esl, and so many others over any Focal at any price.

I will say the Naim Focal combo has improved a bit from the beginning of the merger. The first time i heard the combo ir was simply awful full stop. It isnā€™t as bad as that now, but i personally just do not like it.

7 Likes

I donā€™t know if itā€™s using standby but I have the ā€œinstant onā€ button on the back activated on both the 332 and 250. I turn off the system at night, knowing when i turn it back on in the morning, it wonā€™t need the full warm up time. I typically wait 10-15 min to start playing though.

1 Like

Sharing a quick update that reverse balance issue on 332 is confirmed by Naim. Itā€™s just a simple fix with a FW update. Dealers will start getting the info on this probably soon.

5 Likes

As the system opened up over the course of the week, I have some more details from the experience with 332, 333/300 with 250. Iā€™ll add those at the bottom.

These are my notes before I placed them on the first rack of Fraim last night. Second is on the way for next week. Honestly, Fraim didnā€™t take it further. Maybe itā€™s the acoustics change in the room since there was a large and heavy furniture between the speakers, now I have much more wall surface. The part I didnā€™t like about Fraim is the speed/pace of the music is a bit less than my prior set up with Isoacoustics platforms under every box.
Before Fraim, I also tried 300 with 332, 300 with 333 has more detail and impact, 332-300 warmed up the tone a tad and added more bass impact, but that didnā€™t match the level of detail especially spatial information with the 333-300 combo.

PRaT: Everything is snappier with higher dynamic resolution. When I wrote my first impressions, I used relentless PRaT, it really is. It just has this sense of pace that I havenā€™t experienced before either in pre-Naim journey or with 222/300. Itā€™s been very hard to turn this thing off once it starts playing. This really is the summary to take away: donā€™t start playing NC series if you need to go somewhere:)

Before Fraim:

Dynamics: Compared to 222, which has an impressive dynamics combined with 250 and itā€™s been a joy to hear tracks with vocals or drums with fast transitions between dips and peaks. 332/333/300 combo takes this to an audibly higher level and truly reveals what 250 is really capable of. Thatā€™s why I wrote that it made me appreciate what a great amp NC250 is. I still plan to go all 6 boxes but itā€™ll be hard to part ways with 250. Itā€™s not going to be the weak link in most systems.

Imaging and resolution:
Like most other observations from others on the forum, there is undeniably more detail but it comes in a very musical way since the superb timing lines it up perfectly. 222 was highly resolving as well but thereā€™s a difference in how everything is on the surface or emphasized like a real performance. An easy example is how you hear the individual notes of the bass guitar in a track on 332/333 that was way back in 222. Depending on the recording, I could follow every instrument on a track from start to finish. This brings me to how itā€™s all presented, clearly layered front to back, but instruments on the back are still highly resolving. Some tracks itā€™s a hyper realistic presentation that vocals are front and center, very focused without approximation, instruments are in layers in the back, all delivered with loads of spatial information.

My summary is that 222/300 with 250 was a great combination, can easily be an end game for most of us, very presentable in a living room set up, and has all the feature set one needs. I sought to see whatā€™s beyond the 200 series, and starting to find out itā€™s a different ballgame. It needs its Fraim, needs more cables, etc. but seeing a preview of its rewards, I plan on continuing the pursuit with 350s as the next step.

10 Likes

Please let us know how this works for you. I have a SN3 and im considering what you have done. I heard the full 300 series last night and Iā€™m impressed but will have to take small steps

1 Like