The Best 👌

So long as it’s still frozen in the middle it’ll be grand.

Willy.

P. S. None of us are sure how any of us survived the bbqs of our youth.

1 Like

My cheese platter inspired on a instagram post a while back. Perhaps not the best but certainly tasty :smiley:

15 Likes

I can get a flight to Amsterdam, I’ll bring the wine. :grinning:

5 Likes

Togetherness. Square of chocolate and a half teaspoon of the ginger chutney.

Montezuma will probably steal the idea.

6 Likes

I’ve got it in pots with several different types , all part of my bee friendly garden , it has colonised the back - and I do nothing about it until the Autumn when I give it a sharp talking too and cutting back.

Bees love it, spearmint , several types of foreign mint ,

Make apple and mint jelly

6 Likes

Also - Mint Julep, Mojito, Moscow Mule.

Mint is spectacular, agreed!

7 Likes

Thai Basil Mojito, try it.

5 Likes

Here’s the best Gore-Tex shell jacket.

Arc’tyrex Alpha SV.

If you’re looking to buy an Arc’tyrex, make sure it’s the ‘revised’ version. They’ve removed the troublesome ripstop material on the inside, made the smaller sizes slimmer and a few other technical improvements.

Features;

Gore-Tex Pro (Most Rugged) - lighter, tougher & more breathable than standard Gore-Tex. Also has more uniform holes, leading to better breathability short & long term.

Inside lining improvements to resist body oil/sweat contamination, which is one of the main reasons for delamination.

Improved lamination technique.

Got to be tetra colour.

Clearly, being the Naim Forum, if you don’t agree, either don’t reply or reply with constructive reasons stating facts, not rude wild accusations.

As always, all in the best possible taste :joy:

4 Likes

The guy at the beginning of this video is me.
Shoes, boots, gloves and jackets, all Gore Tex.

3 Likes

Wow, just wow. Thanks for sharing! Certainly “the best” product video I’ve seen in ages

1 Like

I’ll need to look at your link properly when I have a few minutes. I skipped through to see what it was about.

Quick points; I dive using a dry suit which clearly isn’t breathable and I know what it’s like to wear that after only 5 minutes. I also wear a poly jacket & trousers to wash my car and know that experience too.

I understand you’re in the video (don’t know who), but you don’t state whether you agree with it.

A few small parts of the video are explained well, but it’s one of those things you see online that’s totally biased and key statements briskly passed without substance. i.e. the breathability is not about air passing out through, it’s vapour. And the practical way Gore-Tex works is vapour permeates via capillary action first, using the complex inner membrane. It doesn’t just pass through like steam floating in the air. All brands use the same method and they have different efficiencies.

No one has ever claimed any membrane is 100% waterproof. It can’t be, but in real life use, hours of been saturated by driving rain is classed as good enough. Try putting on a dry suit and do a 1 hour hill walk. I doubt you’ll get very far.

At the end of the day, Gortex has standards that the manufactures need to stick to and it’s up to the customer to decide whether they like the product or not. I’ve had a Arc’teryx Gore-Tex Pro shell for 11 years and I know where its strengths and weaknesses are. It’s the construction that fails (disregarding cuts or excessive localised wear).

P.S. I now have the jacket above to compare.

Maybe the Norrøna Børge Ousland X edition for polar use?

I have used both Arcteryx SV and Norrøna Trollveggen jackets earlier, and the are equally good. But I am not an extreme end user.

1 Like

No, I’m not in the video.
I was comparing myself to the guy owning a lot of Gore Tex at the beginning of the video.

I’ll look into GoreTex and competitors when I’m ready to purchase my next jacket.

1 Like

Just prompted me to do best tent.

Since a friend heavily into outdoor activities recommended Gore-tex to me and my trying for myself about 35 years ago it has remained my go-to material for waterproof outer wear. I have never had the membrane leak unless physically damaged (has happened particularly with cycling falls), however breathability can deteriorate if not cleaned adequately or if the water repellency of the outer surface is not maintained so the breathability of that layer isn’t impeded by a layer of water. (Scuffing of the external surface after good use of one of mine led to inability to get it to remain water repellant, losing breathability, ending its useful life.)

Best brand and model are purely a matter of preference, with suitability of designs varying considerably according to type of activity, including whether packability is important, of course as well as purely personal considerations from body shape to comfort and wear preference. Leading brands in particular can be very expensive (surprise, surprise!) with no certainty of being better suited or longer lasting, and of course like any other clothing you have to try fit for yourself unless you know the brand and its varying styles well. (There seem to be a several similarities to hifi here!) I never buy the latest models at full price, but when I want a new waterproof I look to sales, surplus disposal stores, or factory outlets, where last year’s models can be a lot cheaper. …Yes, such clothing is a subject of fashion.

At present I need a new cycling waterproof due to damage, but haven’t found anything that suits me as well as my existing one since they decided in the interests of fashion to introduce a new version a few years ago. so I am still using my tatty and partially leaky one even though an insurance claim gave me funds for a replacement a couple of years ago.

1 Like

Miyazaki wagyu

9 Likes

Would you/others have any recommendation for light use (skiiing in April)?

Waterproofing is usually the least of your worries for skiing, as it’s unlikely to be raining (unless you’re going to Scotland!) Depending on where you’re going, it might be quite warm at times in late season if the sun is shining, so I would consider a jacket you can open up easily for ventilation, and perhaps something you can pack away into a small rucksack if it’s really too warm to wear it.

Good ski jackets shouldn’t be too long, and the longer jackets designed for hillwalking tend to get in the way, especially on ski lifts. They should have good closures, especially at the bottom so that they don’t fill with snow if you are in deep powder, or if you fall over. Jacket’s designed for skiing or mountaineering often have an elasticated inner baffle which you can do up to help prevent this.

Lots to choose from these days, I think going to a shop and trying some on is the best way.

5 Likes

Thanks @ChrisSU So a full on thick ski jacket may not be needed. Focus on breathable, wind and snow-proof.