The Best 👌

My prized possession may be my watch. I set a goal early in life that I thought was unachievable with the promise that if I achieved it, I’d buy myself a watch. I achieved it. I bought the watch with money I didn’t have at the time.

I can buy a watch 10x more expensive than that one today, but it wouldn’t mean the same thing.

Whether it’s watches, cars, or audio equipment - the things we own or invest in are more than the price we pay - it’s the value we attribute to them. That’s what makes the difference.

1 Like

I don’t think that anyone I know or meet have any idea of how special (or otherwise) my watches are, and would be deeply unimpressed if they did. That’s not why I have them. I love their intricacy and cleverness of design.

2 Likes

Exactly - they’re special to you. That’s all that matters

2 Likes

When I and my two sisters, were young we were not allowed to have a wristwatch until and unless we passed the 11 plus. We all did, and each got a watch. My sisters got quite expensive watches (we were in Singapore, so things were a lot cheaper there) - I think one got a Girard-Perregeaux and the other a Patek Phillpe. I got a Cyma Triplex. I still have it, and it means quite a lot to me. My father bought himself an Omega (I think it was a Seamaster) and an Omega for my mother.

3 Likes

That all seems very sensible to me.

The only rule I have regarding fashion, is always keep your shirt tucked in your trousers. It drives my wife crazy. :grin:

My motto is. Don’t waste your money buying stuff to impress people who couldn’t care less.

5 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with a Rolex, chaps

9 Likes

Since retiring I’m not using a pen that often, love good drawing pencils and ink filled pens but the ink these days seems to dry easily on the nib. Got lots of fountain pens that I just can’t get to work anymore.

Parallels our hi-fi interests in many ways.

1 Like

Not a good look with my jogging bottoms. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Something like this

5 Likes

You might want to edit that - see RD’s comments in the cover art Lounge thread.

1 Like

Simple don’t wear them - shirts preferably not trousers. :wink:

1 Like

Why it’s got its brand on the left hand corner

1 Like

Good point, I’d assumed as it’s a watermarked stock photo that they were to be avoided - uncertain if attributing the ‘owner’ is enough or if that’s just for unwatermarked photos which can be used provided the source is cited.

1 Like

Oddly, something has triggered a childhood memory of a reason I may not be keen on fancy watches. I think it was some political event in support of the Common Market but might be wrong.

It must have been late 70’s and I was at a club somewhere with my parents and some ‘flash Harry’ was waving his new Rolex about for everyone to see as well as bragging about his cars and fancy holidays, but he was clearly more Del Boy than sophisticated/classy.

Pretty certain that’s why I’ve never wanted a Rolex or large watch. Alternatively it was around the time of digital watches and as a kid I did want a fancy multi-function electronic gadget. Don’t think I’d have ever predicted what wearable gadgets are available today.

Equally strangely I have an uncanny knack of knowing the time almost down to the minute, but unfortunately it doesn’t benefit me in terms of punctuality.

Shirt saver.
Lamy Safari Rollerball Pen - Blue (Washable Ink)

2 Likes

What’s all this HB business ?
2B is the best.

6 Likes

Or not 2B… that is the question!

4 Likes

3 Likes

Not sure I would call that the ‘best’ fruit bowl - the fruit will fall out through the gaps :wink:

2 Likes