The Best 👌

Made something of a pilgrimage today, see below:

1 Like

I’m not right now going to reveal The Best Pasta.
As there are so many.
But as far as standards go i love the Fusilli.

IMG_3434

After so many years trying to be grown up with Penne, Rigatoni and everything else.
The curly one like the type that was easy to eat as a junior is the smart choice.
The way your carefully made sauce clings is just the best.

6 Likes

I hear you about Fusilli and its ability to grab the sauce, but a fairly recent discovery for me is Mafaldine which equally just loves getting tight with with whatever sauce you show it.

Lovely wavy edges and curled up ends, cooked al dente … … … have a bash, if you haven’t already … … … yum. :yum: :yum:

8 Likes

Best pasta: the pasta your mother, or your mother-in-law, or your wife make.

Remember they have to wake up at 5 am to make it, so please appreciate that.

7 Likes

Pappardelle always

9 Likes

And I’m done with al dente.
Cooked so the pasta is more than soft to the bite for me.
The bite should be saved for that other use of 00 flour.
Soft and crunchy pizza.

4 Likes

Call me a traditionalist but i rather think it depends on the dish… I agree with fusilli for sauces but good luck making a lasagne with it :wink:

3 Likes

With duck or beef, both are good.

1 Like

Best pasta is obviously pretty hard to choose once you get to the decent stuff. I’ve used this for the past 7 years or so and find it absolutely perfect.

IMG_4828
The way the sauce clings is not just about the shape, it’s about the texture, and the bronze die pressing brings this out. The shape can take/hide too much sauce too!

6 Likes

I find different pastas best for different dishes - sauce thick or thin, smooth or lumpy, work better with different pastas. But for macaroni cheese, macaroni works best! I prefer linguini to spaghetti for the same dishes. As for brands, expensive certainly doesn’t mean better (that’s my view from tasting myself, however a quick look at what Italians buy gives a hint - it’s not the fancy looking pastas sold to tourists as take-home gifts!

However filled pasta like tortellini or ravioli are best freshly made - there’s a wonderful stall in the food market in Firenze, where you can buy it to take away and cook, or have it cooked there for immediate consumption - and all sorts of fillings! Nice home-made, too, but time-consuming.

4 Likes

Old man’s treat.

9 Likes

I have been missing your foodie moments, yes a treat, enjoy!

“Ethically sourced”

Just bought a Breville Barista machine, it is the answer to a coffee machine with everything we were looking for.

4 Likes

We’ve got this machine (I’m enjoying a coffee as I type) and it’s fantastic. We’ve had lots over the years and it’s the best by far.

3 Likes

We could start a whole new thread about the Best things you have no idea about what to do with.
In the meantime I give you Radishes.

I would really like to fully optimise the way I interact with a radish. But I feel that in this country I can only snack on them.
Other countries have massive ones that can feed whole families.

3 Likes

Oh, I know exactly how to interact with radishes. Best to just leave them alone, I find.

2 Likes

Carry on camping Charlie Muggins said I shouldn’t have had those radishes. :nauseated_face:

IMG_1591

1 Like

Blend em up with cucumber, scallions, buttermilk, fresh herbs for a refreshing chilled summer soup.

1 Like

If you search on line there is a lovely warm radish and pea salad on the Good Housekeeping site. My wife makes it and it is delicious as a side for roasts in the warmer months ( which this month is most definitely not!)

2 Likes