The Blues Thread

I really don’t think that you can go wrong with anything by BB King

4 Likes

Rory Gallagher - Blues.

This 3 album set showcases Rory’s love of the blues and disc 2, the acoustic collection is just stunning … out and out belter, in fact.

4 Likes

I do remember our chat about EC, so, just to keep things up to date, have a listen to this one … disc 2, the acoustic album is worth the purchase price of the entire set … belter!

Rory Gallagher - Blues.

Just buy it … if you haven’t already. :grin:

3 Likes

Hound Dog Taylor & The Houserockers, in a similar style to RL Burnside, I have these two Alligator LP’s. Using a cheap Japanese guitar and slide made from the leg of a chair…

jpeg jpeg

:grin:

3 Likes

Hoh! The Delaware Slide…

3 Likes

George … he da man … how sweeeeeet it is!

2 Likes

Agreed the acoustic album is great, I saw him play an acoustic set at Cambridge Folk Festival in 1990 or so, one of the greatest acoustic sets I’ve ever seen.The live album from this Blues box-set is Rory where he was happiest, on stage, the energy is amazing, and it goes without saying he nails everything musically.

1 Like

Lovely sound on my DCC re issue pressing…

jpeg

1 Like

Any other album suggestions for Rory?

Yes sir, :grinning:

Marcus Bonfanti - Hard Times,

If I can offer some, he was amazing live, Irish Tour ‘74 was one of the great albums, live or studio. Although Live in Europe may be even better, I can never choose between them, except when I’m listening to one of them, then that one is unbeatable at the time. Studio albums, he was so powerful and raw when he went solo, Deuce (his second album) is a masterpiece, his eponymous debut is superb. tattoo is wonderful, the Blue box-set is great.
I’d start with one of the 2 live albums, Irish Tour is a double so you get more, I suspect you’ll then be hooked.

2 Likes

Rory Gallagher - Tattoo.

Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour '74.

Rory Gallagher - Live In Europe.

Tattoo is the best of the studio albums, (IMHO), but Rory was really at his best in front of an audience, and you really can’t go wrong with either, or better still, both of these live albums.

Hope this helps.

5 Likes

Pretty near snap there Dave, although I offered 2 early albums as well. :grinning:

2 Likes

Talking of local bands, these used to regularly play my local pub back in the eighties (I think). Singer Bob Brookes used to anounce to the barman “hold on to your optics!” before the band let rip. He had a great voice a bit like Joe Cocker.

I got this signed copy :rofl: at one of those gigs, very local recorded at a studio in the unlikely Sussex town of Seaford.

1 Like

Thanks all, Rory is unknown to me. I’ve queued up your suggestions on Tidal.

1 Like

I hope you enjoy him as much as I do, if so you’ve got a real treat ahead of you.

I’ve started with Tattoo (2017 remaster) sounding fine.

1 Like

3 Likes

Always enjoyed this compilation:

1 Like