The Coronation

I have tarragon.

Your second paragraph: Exactly.

1 Like

Funny thing is, when you Google for images of King Charles, you still get lots of pictures of Spaniels.

5 Likes

Katie Dereham is presenting a show on R3 tomorrow from 08:50 which I think may be worth listening to.

1 Like

As ex British Army, God save the King.

DG…

13 Likes

I won’t watch or visit, i respect supporters who will, but you can guess my viewpoint on this.
Hope the weathers kind as it looks a bit grim!
Martin

3 Likes

A complete farce. And Nick Cave joins this show. Rock and roll 2023.

In direct terms not much, but in terms of the construct of the State, it plays a vital role in providing a structure of checks & balances, which tend to get distorted in a republican system, where office can be achieved by the highest bidder in extremis. There were several media articles from learned parties on this subject after the late Queen passed and the conclusion was that neither construct is perfect but an independent monarchy is the least worst.

7 Likes

Try googling ‘sausage fingers’

1 Like

You can watch a ‘king’ being crowned every day if you play checkers. :wink:

3 Likes

This week’s Private Eye

17 Likes

Looks like Camilla has been busy

8 Likes

Have a good day guys. We will tune in to tomorrow and enjoy the festivities. Doubtlessly there will be lots of good music and I think we share that love.

The locals here in the Warwickshire town of Henley-in-Arden have been busy dressing the pavement bollards:

4 Likes

I sit somewhere around @BruceW and Nick Cave. The other aspect of this for me is that I’m Welsh. As a young child I attended Charles investiture which, given my father’s anti-royalist position I was quite impressed with. He simply thought that, regardless of his perspective, it was an event of significance and he didn’t see it as his role to deny us the opportunity.

Tomorrow my mind is elsewhere. My son is eighteen and having had an unimaginably traumatic year we are frankly as a family simply glad to get to this point. We’ll be hosting a party for around fifty people. Music will dominate the dining area but if people wish to watch said event then they’re welcome to sit themselves in the living area and watch the TV provided it’s understood that we want the focus of our event to be our son. He will be wearing his “citizen not subject” t-shirt which tells you where his sympathies lie. There will be no quiche. I doubt I will pop in to watch any of it. Coverage of it will be sufficiently ubiquitous that I’ll no doubt see key images etc. regardless.

I’m still recovering from my first encounter with Covid so I’m largely preserving my energy. Fortunately the party is being catered so bar the cake and alcohol much of it has been taken out of our hands. My main concern is the practical. The caterers are building a small marquee on our drive and I suspect many a passing stranger will try and avail themselves of the catering in the belief that we’re hosting some Coronation related event. In the spirit of the day I am fairly content for them to do so.

2 Likes

Care to share your address…?:wink:

1 Like

:rofl:

Only of you’ve got a decent eighteenth gift for a traumatised teen and decent GF beers for his parent :slight_smile:

Actually I’m increasingly traumatised by the thought of where guests are going to park.

It is as moments like this I think of Percy Bysshe Shelley’s “Poetical Essay on the Existing State of Things”.

Also, as his thoughts as a radical, atheist and republican matured, his arrival at “tyranny follows revolution”

1 Like

I think it’s a positive action that Michelle O”Neill is attending the coronation and although as an Irish man I have no interest in the actual event and associated pagentry it’s important that Irish politicians no longer boycott events like these as they are very important to some of our countrymen. (There’s no such word as countrypeople? Countrymen sounds so wrong for 2023).

I have a feeling Charle’s “reign” will be interesting, he may be a bit more like our president Michal D Higgins who annoys politicians frequently by straying into the political.

Enjoy the day, or at least the day off.

.sjb

2 Likes

You could always try Sam Smith’s ‘fisherthem’ when asked what he’d like his hobby to be.

Thus, ‘countrythem’ - or perhaps ‘countrytheir’ cos of the numbers involved.