The Doors

My Mac is still not cooperating, so I can’t play your attachment.

But what a fantastic performance that was in the film by Val Kilmer, and what amazing likeness to Jim Morrison. If that cinema poster was not so well associated with the film, you would think that you were looking at a poster of Jim Morrison.

Agreed, Kilmer gave a very good, at times great physical performance. He obviously studied the moves. Still never want to sit through the film again, though.

I haven’t seen the film since I saw it in the cinema when it came out, so it would be interesting to see it again.

Oddly, I don’t remember it ever being shown on Sky or even terrestrial TV in the interim.

No, I don’t either.
I was thinking how perfectly Meg Ryan portrayed Pamela, certainly lookswise (I always had a bit of a crush from when I first saw a photo of her in Disc & Music Echo, iirc, in 1968)…talking of D&ME, Judy Sim wrote a column in the paper - she was quite a Doors fan - I used to look forward to reading that each week.
Having now watched the whole ‘video essay’, it’s not quite as revelatory as I’d hoped, but…pretty good,pretty neat. I think I’ll re-read the book again (it’s really not the focus of the essay) and also Prochnicky’s book, which I really liked and can recommend as a more rounded book on Jim.

The Genesis video on the production of A Guide To The Labyrinth. It’s short and skimpy (unlike the final boxset) but a nice enough glimpse behind the scenes - only a glimpse, though.

Happy Birthday Robbie!

Thanks for it all.
Enjoy your day.

A mildly interesting video of recolouring of B&W photos.

TBH, I’m posting this mainly cos it has one photo of their only TOTP appearance in 1968… which (typical…) I missed, and was never shown again as the tapes were later wiped.
Sigh. Oh well, at least I saw The Doors Are Open on TV, broadcast shortly after their two Roundhouse gigs with the Airplane (had to miss those too, no money of my own :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: and no chance of parental consent).

Keeping this thread alive…

For those who haven’t heard how you transform a rock into a jewel:

1 Like

How interesting to hear how they (Doors and studio staff) managed to get hold of a rather flabby, meandering ditty, and turn it into something tight and (perhaps) even rather menacing.

With Who Scared You both Rothchild and Botnick had to urge Densmore to play with more aggression. I think Paul got a bit frustrated with him!
They were both hugely instrumental (pun intended) in hammering The Doors’ sound into, as Steve Hoffman put it, “bar band into star band”.

1 Like

Sigh…RSD 2023.

Jampol/DM have finally lost whatever plot they imagined they had:

After beads, baby clothes, skateboards et al, now we have 3" records + player.

This is the legacy, folks…

1 Like

Morrison will be turning in his grave in Père Lachaise - unless he’s alive and well, and hiding out in South America.

1 Like

Spooky and downright weird…
A, cough, ‘alternative’ history for JDM:

1 Like

I found that very creepy, frankly. I wouldn’t watch it again.

Not even only creepy, but just some guy pulling stuff out of his cavity where the sun never shines about events that probably would never happen as he shows. I couldn’t finish watching because it would have been 4 more minutes of my life I’d never get back.

Yeah, it’s certainly testimony to too much time on the maker’s hands…and, imaginary future aside, there’s more to good computer morphing than s/he gets…

One of the, erm, odder things I’ve come across on YT.

1 Like

So, to restore a sense of the real and open the windows after the previous - a nice film about Jim & Pam:

1 Like

Keeping this thread alive, for my own enjoyment if nothing else.

A nice montage of Doors photos (2:37 for a group photo in London that I haven’t seen since 1968 I think. Possibly from Disc & Music Echo weekly mag) and a little-known tune…

Oops and one of my, er…graffiti on the old headstone - it soon washed off.

1 Like

This came up on my way to work. Only had the time to watch a couple of minutes
Takes me back. Time machine when I stayed in Jim’s room (window above the driveway from the street) in 1981.

Hope they’re not pulling it down.

1 Like

I have no particular interest in The Doors, and Jim Morrison even less, but my favourite version of ‘Riders on the Storm’ is Snoop Dogg’s fantastic collab/mash-up

2 Likes