The Doors

I cannot see the delivery option for UK on the site - nor Britain or GB - what did you use @steviebee ?

Hi @Willmac

Sadly, and annoyingly, the Doors website does not now ship to the UK following Brexit (confirmed to me by them after I queried). Ordered my vinyl set from Amazon France, CD set from Juno.

Hope this helps.

Thanks - I have now got a friend in the US to order it for me who comes out to UK quite often!

1 Like

Good news.

I’m really looking forward to hearing the whole thing, finally. IF DM don’t eff it up…

A collectible, perhaps, though musically not essential as it’s only a compilation…

thedoorsrhinoredsjuly2023top_638

The Doors Golden Album, a limited reissue of a long-deleted Japanese release. Pressed at TMR. Part of the Rhino Red anniversary collection (I’d thought it would be gold vinyl, but hey ho).

May get a copy (if possible) just for the fun of it.

Golden Album pre-ordered…

Decided I just had to :laughing:

It seems to be a compilation of tracks from the first three albums.

Is there anything special, apart from the bright red vinyl?

(I think that I can do without this one.)

It’s a collectible reissue of a long deleted and rare Japanese compilation, so not essential like, say, the Bright Midnight releases or Aquarius or Matrix etc.

But it will be nice to add to my collection.

I suspect that you are more ‘hard core’ than I am - I just want their albums on the best possible LPs, together with any ‘unofficial’ releases in good sound quality IF the music is worthwhile.

For the canon, you really should hear the AP 45’s and (though rare and expensive) the Steve Hoffman DCC masters. Probably the best The Doors have ever sounded in vinyl/CD (unless we’re talking US Monarchs first presses which are great, but finding a good condition one difficult).

‘Unofficial’? All BM, Matrix Tapes, RSD, Aquarius etc are official releases.

I suspect you mean outside the canon studio albums rather than ‘unofficial’ - which usually means bootlegs. You wouldn’t like the SQ of most of those.

Boot Yer Butt (awful title) is an official Doors release, btw. Audience tapes put together by Robbie. SQ is by and large rubbishy, but…stuff you won’t hear anywhere else.

I watched (again) that TV programme (‘Classic Albums’, I think it’s called) about the making of ‘Morrison Hotel’. Fantastic! Made me feel very nostalgic - and in the mood to give the LP a spin on the TT later today.

Almost here…

Been a long time comin’.

The only other album due for release soon that approaches my level of antici…pation is Glow.

Can’t wait for that one either.

1 Like

First (unboxing) review (that I’ve found) is up:

I’m a bit wary of unboxing videos, bit fetishistic, but I’ll watch this later when I’m back home. Hopefully some comments on sound…but probably not, being the nature of these videos.

2 Likes

Did I hear him right 5 albums at 45rpm - now a quick bit of mental arithmetic 5 albums that means 10 sides.

You’ll be up and down like a yo-yo.

2 Likes

I musta missed the 45 bit…can’t see anything that says it is on Google search. I’ll have to watch the video again…

Good exercise if it is!

2 Likes

It’ll be at ‘The End’ before you’ve sat back down.

G

2 Likes

Actually doing more maths looking at the 36 song track list on 3 CDs say 70 mins per CD = 210 minutes

210 minutes over 10 sides of vinyl is about the time for a standard 33rpm side.

1 Like

I’m useless at maths…but, hell, if they put this out at 78 I’d still be buying…and looking for a deck to play it on…although I never did with Moby Grape’s Gene Autry (thank god for CD)

2 Likes

The CD dropped through the letterbox this morning. The vinyl box follows in a couple of days.

No time to play yet…going to be fun!

From first to last… with my original bootleg bought in LA in 1981 to today

I think there’ll be an upgrade in SQ, lol…

Edit…yep! Quick comparison with People Are Strange on the boot. No comparison, really. But I have a soft spot for the bootleg (and all my Doors boots) - had them so long they feel like family, lol.

3 Likes

The official launch video from the site of The Matrix club is up on YT. I was going to post it, but at 3hrs46m it’s probably only of very limited interest here.

An introductory talk (of sorts), then the album’s played to a bunch of old people (and some younger, to be fair) drinking and chatting…airport lounges and possibly hifi shows sprang to mind, but at least with the latter the chat may have been less (never been to one, so I dunno). They seemed to stir to life a bit during LMF, and studiously ignored films of the band playing on a TV…but they’ve probably seen all that before! Might have been a different scene if they’d held it in LA…

I thought the music sounded great, even via my phone. But I’m biased, lol. I’d liked to have been there, even so.

Anyways…a search will find it: The Doors Tales Of/From The Matrix, Thursday 7 Sept.

1 Like