The Doors

Yes. Two speed switch, courtesy Lingo.

Ah, very good. I have the adapter thingy made by Linn (I’m sure that it has a proper name), which slips over the pulley (and I have an extra rubber belt).

But it seems so much hassle that I’ve never tried it. In any event, I have a vanishingly small number of records that play at 45RPM.

I still have my old 45 adaptor. Don’t know why I keep it but…

It works well and with repetition isn’t that fiddly - more than worth the (minimal) hassle if one ever wants to play AP 45 LPs (not just The Doors, so many great releases), which sound tremendous.

Certainly for me as I have a collection of singles - including the Love and Doors singles boxes.

Did you order the Matrix set btw? Thought you did and curious what you think of it as it’ll be essentially brand new to you: The Doors right on the cusp of becoming famous.

No, I couldn’t find one. I did get a few ‘non Elektra’ releases, which I’ve enjoyed.

And I have received recently a 2LP set ‘Live In New York/Felt Forum’, a Rhino/Elektra collaboration, which I must find time to play very soon.

‘Non Elektra’ ?

Yes, I have a couple of ‘live’ Doors albums, which may be of doubtful parentage!

What are the titles and labels? Curious.

Unless you mean Elektra/Rhino?

Pretty much anything else are either boots or Bright Midnight (Doors own - as it were- label headed up by Danny - good stuff. Long gone sadly).

I will check later, and report back.

I’m rather glued to the original ‘West Side Story’ on TV at present.

1 Like

Jim Morrison always did like to go on the piss. I would love to get in a time machine, go back to 1966 or 1967, and share a few bottles of beer with him.

Brings back fond memories of watching that on TV - only in B&W. Cant remember if my DVD is a colour copy.

Thanks for posting, @DrMark !

2 Likes

1966-7…Forget beer, I’d join him in a few tabs of Owlsley’s finest.

Thinks…if Owlsley ever made it to LA…any would do, if not.

I thought Jimbo’s booze of choice was a bottle of beer, but he may have moved onto whiskey as his demons took hold.

We’ve talked of this before…Jim drank beer and spirits. Lots of it. Well-documented user of whiskey, brandy…and beer, obviously.

Never read of him in connection with gin, though!

Did you look at your “non Elektra” live albums, btw?
Intrigued as to what they are. FOMO, lol…

I take it that’s a “no”, then :laughing:

Sorry, Stevie, I totally forgot!

So two genuine ‘unofficials’:

‘Live in New York City 1969 - Westwood One’, apparently issued by a company called Mind Control (and said to be limited to 500 copies). Back cover has a photo from the Hard Rock Café shoot, invaded by a random drunk.

‘Live Seattle 1970, issued by Radio LoopLoop’.

Both of these LPs have a B&W photo on the cover, slightly different, but from the same shoot.

The third is a 2LP set 'Live At The Bowl ‘68’, which has what looks like a Rhino/Elektra label, so may be genuine. Could it be a RSD special release?

I haven’t played any of these yet, so I have no idea of sound quality, quiet pressings, etc.

Thanks Graham :+1:t5:

The Hollywood Bowl 68 is official.
The others, unofficial…bootlegs as they used to be called. Probably fair to OK quality (I can’t tell without seeing the track listings)

The Westwood is a radio broadcast I assume…unofficial.

Seattle - boot of the (soundboard?) tapes** There is an official release of Seattle iirc - I’ll check my CDs.

Careful! You’ll soon have as many boots as me, lol.

**See post below

I was wrong. No official release for the Seattle show. Radio broadcast.
Three of my boot/unofficial copies:

Double LP released by Parachute
Jim’s Alive CD released by Tuff Bites 1994
Unknown disc I picked up somewhere/somewhen

The Parachute LP set is very nicely packaged, as good as a proper Elektra release:

Piqued my interest - will have a look at my Bright Midnight stuff - see if Danny released any tracks from Seattle, or indeed Westwood.

Ah…The Westwood is the TV PBS Critique show:

Available on DVD. Or at least, was.

I hope that I have managed to order a (limited edition) Record Store Day release of ‘Absolutely Live’ from Amazon in the USA. It’s a fabulous record, and it seems very odd - to me, at least - that Elektra do not have this available as a fixture in their catalogue.

(I have a very old 2LP set from around the time of its release 50-odd years ago, which I probably bought from Rose Street Records in Edinburgh.)