The Doors

This one Graham ?

I think so, Stevie, but the LPs are still in the postal system, making their way to me - or, at least, I hope that they are! I’m not sure about the colour of vinyl used, but midnight blue would be charming!

Sorting through the bookshelves. This was the first book ever published about The Doors, in 1968.
Mike Jahn Jim Morrison and The Doors
Grosset and Dunlap 1968

For along while, almost semi-mythical to me:
I searched for a copy for years before getting lucky.

A treasured possession!

1 Like

I would never have recognised Jim Morrison from the illustration on that book cover.

That must have been published a very long time ago, if the $1 purchase price is anything to go by!

It is.

Nice copy of original innersleeves too - but you’ll need to swap in poly ones.

1 Like

It was. 1968.

The cover shot is when Jim wore that soft fleecy top with contrasting collar stripe. Loads of pix of the same gig inside tho I’m not sure which gig off the top of my head.

1 Like

That looks fantastic, although I know that our esteemed Moderator Richard Dane is not a fan of coloured vinyl for LPs. (I must be going a bit deaf, as I hear no difference between two brand new LPs, one coloured vinyl, the other the standard black.).

I hope that my LPs will look as cool as that, as and when they arrive!

(And I always swap the supplied inner sleeves for poly ones.)

Will look exactly the same as both RSD US and Europe copies are the same matrices or as near as dammit.

Europe copies were pressed at Optimal, don’t know about the US (possibly the same as it was a limited, numbered run).

1 Like

A (solitary, so maybe uncertain) whisper from a Doors ‘insider’ that something is in the works for RSD in November…

If true, wonder what it could be…
Another live set?

Watch this space.

1 Like

Is that Record Store Day in the US or the UK, as the releases are not always the same in both countries?

(I’m still hoping to track down a ‘midnight blue’ vinyl copy of that ‘Absolutely Live’, pictured above, from last year’s US Record Store Day.)

1 Like

Thought you said (above) the Absolutely Live RSD US release was in the post to you?

As to RSD in November, I’ve no idea…information is very bare atm (such as it is, a hint more like. We’ll see if it’s based on something more concrete).

1 Like

Yes, but that was ages ago. I fear that it may have gone astray, and I’d rather have two copies than none. I do have a very old set from the time of the original release (1969?), but it got played on Dansette-type player when I was at boarding school, so it has seen better days!

Good hunting…only 1 RSD copy on Ebay, £80+ and shipping from Italy.

Discogs should be a better bet but haven’t looked.

Thanks, Stevie. I have never been able to navigate the Discogs website, so I don’t even try these days.

Oh well…just for information, there’s 15 RSD copies for sale on Discogs. Honestly, it’s no harder than buying on Ebay, once you’ve registered there.

The hard part is that a lot of US sellers wont post to the UK. But… there are UK and Europe sellers.

I don’t go near the site, too much aggro!

Woohooooo!

Seems the Doors insider was on the money.

Just confirmed re above - RSD will see the release of another long-awaited live album: the Bakersfield concert!

I’m a little speechless - the Matrix box and now Bakersfield…blimey.

Turned out a good year for Doors fans :grinning:

The medley of Universal Mind/Afro Blue is worth the price of admission on its own! Hope its the full- length (8 minutes+) and not edited.

1 Like

And…some (:crossed_fingers:) speculation that Seattle may be for RSD next Spring…

Maybe DM have realised that the old Doors fanatics are slowly dyin’ out so before we peg it, get all the stuff out that some of us have been waiting for for years :laughing:

Hmmm…Orlando? A proper release of HWY, or Fillmore with the missing bits fixed in some AI way…who knows what the next year will bring…maybe.

1 Like

A new book on Jim coming from the same publisher of Vince Treanor’s biography, so should be good. From the promotional email sent out:

" On the 8th of December 2023, Jim Morrison would have turned 80 years old. To celebrate Jim’s birthday in heaven, a huge Feast of Friends will take place in Paris: many Doors and Morrison fans from all over the world will gather in and around Père Lachaise cemetery to honour their legendary musical hero.
For the past year, acclaimed Doors biographer Jerry Prochnicky (co-author of the bestselling book Break On Through) and Doors connaisseur and publisher Fred Baggen from The Netherlands have been closely working together to realize the unique photo book Let Them Photograph Your Soul, which will be released on December 8, 2023 - Jim Morrison’s birthday. The photo book includes many never-before-published photographs from the archives of renowned photographers, artwork by Jim Morrison adepts, Doors live concert eyewitness accounts, poetry and articles
."

Prochnicky’s book on The Doors was very good, so I’m hopeful this will be too.

My pre-order is going in, for sure.

1 Like

And…done.
Looks very nice from the pages in the download on the order site.

Just have to wait till Jim’s birthday now.