The Doors

Ah, too much excitement. Discussing over in the Sondek thread, but basically Ittok LV II, OC9 cart and Circus bearing, some older thing with an original flutted plinth, all mint. Bit of a “barn find”.

Is the Ittok still in good fettle? I know that Linn won’t touch them, but Johnny at Audio Origami used to be able to refurbish an Ittok to ‘as new’ status. I think that a shortage of new replacement parts may have put paid to that service.

Seems fine, sounds great (no rumble) and no oblivious issues.

Nice to see this little spread of the spotlight away from Jim and on to Robbie for a change. Only a photo show, but hey ho

@Mike_S
Nice, Mike. Get em out and show us! Are your copies NZ or Aus pressed? "Originals* makes me think of the lovely early gold labels, which I think also travelled down to the Pacific for S/T and SD.

2 Likes

Tomorrow 8pm R4
Jim Kerr talks about the other Jim…will be available after broadcast on the Archive series on the Beeb app…

The blurb on the app:

Kerr on Jim Morrison

Archive on 4

Jim Kerr, lead singer of the Scottish band Simple Minds, on the importance and influence of The Doors’ Jim Morrison - marking what would have been the iconic rock stars 80th birthday.

Making a pilgrimage to Pere Lachaise cemetery in Paris where Morrison was buried shortly after his untimely death in July 1971, Jim describes the enormous impact Morrison has had on his life, from the very first time he heard The Doors’ Riders on the Storm on his father’s car radio as an 11-year-old, and the immediate fascination with all aspects of Morrison’s poetry and The Doors’ music that continues undimmed more than 50 years later.

Deeply affected by the intoxicating and menacing atmosphere of The Doors’ music, the teenage Jim Kerr set out on a mission to find out as much as he could about the enigmatic Californian counter-cultural icons and soon discovered a small group of like minded Glaswegians, including his school friend Charlie Burchill, all of whom were fascinated by the dark drama of Morrison and his band.

The more they leaned about The Doors and their influences, the more Jim and Charlie were determined to follow The Doors’ blueprint and form their own band to see how far their artistic visions could take them.

When Jim first visited Morrison’s grave in 1979, he viewed the rock legend as a young man, who had lived a dynamic, exotic life. Now, returning as a 65-year-old, Jim has a different perspective on what he views as a young man’s legacy, which he examines through the prism of his own poetry and music, featuring previously unheard Morrison poetry, studio out takes and archive interviews with the self-proclaimed Lizard King.

2 Likes

In searching for the above programme on the BBC app (been out this evening so didn’t hear it), I came across this series by Paul Gambaccini Jim Morrison The Will To Be Weird. Listening to the first episode as I type. Worth investigating I think. Maybe.

As with all these retrospectives, there’s good and evil…

Repetition of the myth…hmm…Patricia Kenneally is featured as is Ray’s hagiography, so…as is common with things Morrison, pinch of salt is required.

A lengthy and good examination of the influence Rimbaud had on JDM. There’s a good book on this, but I forget the author and it’s too late to go through my bookshelves looking for it. A good examination of poetry that Jim may have/probably read is also a feature of this series. It ain’t just The Doors’ songs that’s examined here. An unexpected bonus…

Onto the second episode, pretty good, pretty neat. I never knew Gambaccini was such a Doors fan.

1 Like

Just for kicks, one take on how not to be a Doors fan!
It’s a good pisstake, that would apply to many bands’ fans…

1 Like

‘Live In Bakersfield’ turned up today. A 2LP set pressed on orange vinyl.

just got this today - collection complete!
(just seen alive she cried is coming on green vinyl!

1 Like

@Willmac

Yes I heard about the green vinyl… I’ll wait to see if they’ve added extras, changed mastering etc before committing some £££ to it. My old copy is perfectly ok IIRC (it’s awhile since I played it), so…we’ll see.

I forgot to post my vinyl collection - not too fancy after all, but some nice stuff there all the same. Nice memories getting back into some of it.

3 Likes

A nice little collection Mike. Good to see The vol 1 & 2 of Absolutely Live… I’ve never come across copies or ever seen them for sale. Aus pressings?

1 Like

New Zealand 1970 pressings:

2 Likes

Cheers Mike

Wonder what the ‘K/A’ signifies after each track?
I’ll Discog it.

1 Like

It’s always bugged me (a little) why they messed up The Doors logo on Alive She Cried, making it look similar to that commonly seen on bootlegs (the OO not having opposing diagonals). Maybe that was the intention.

And no ‘The’…grrr.

:laughing:

(I didn’t mind just ‘DOORS’ on LAW, cos it was a new style. The lonely OCD of the longtime fan/obsessive eh…lol.)

1 Like

Very interesting - NZ publishing company. This is the most interesting post on the forum for ages. Await your investigations.

1 Like

The NZ AL that you have is not on Discogs, Mike.

Interestingly, the K/A appears on the NZ 1971 reissue but no clue is given (it’s not on the NZ first, gold label press) and yours have what looks like the album tracks & details printed over a WEA/Elektra label, so a bit of a mystery… a later issue maybe. Intriguing.

(Both Discogs NZ copies have the Elektra US address on the labels.)

I’m off to have a look through the specific Doors sites (mines of information on the band’s output)… I’ll be back!

2 Likes

Well, Stevie, that’s one way to spend a Christmas Day, but I wish you luck.

I have a nice new record of ‘L.A. Woman’ playing as I type this.

Only great music to be played today, I think!

1 Like

Interesting - you know the Hoffman site went through thousands of posts (over 1,700 posts as only they can do) trying to identify what the triangle within the blank circle meant (see right of this disc).

Even people who worked for Colombia and other labels and in pressing plants didn’t know - it appears on a lot of CDs but as to what it denotes is still a mystery.

Good luck with K/A.

1 Like

I have no idea of what that triangle symbolised, but it always used to remind me of the Linn logo, which I assume represents a stylised stylus in a record groove.

1 Like