The Doors

Mono, first US press

Nuff said.

4 Likes

I often think that ‘Strange Days’ is The Doors’ best album.

Your LP12 looks great!

1 Like

I think the same. It’s the album I have the most copies of…irresistable!

Thanks re the Linn. I love it :heartbeat:

1 Like

New LP which I found on the US Amazon site:

Horse Latitudes rough mix/pre-overdubs…

Always a favourite of mine and a great segue into Moonlight Drive (turning that into an acid tango was a touch of genius. Compare the flat, early ballad. Always wondered if that idea was down to Rothschild…)

Interesting… what’s the tracklist on In Session.
TBH, I never really followed Robbie’s solo stuff much after Butts Band. Always hoped he’d do a more Flamenco-inspired album…back to his roots.

Across The Universe, featuring Jackson Browne
Hypernova, featuring Nik Turner
Where We Belong, featuring Tony Kaye
Don’t Leave Me Now, featuring Tommy Shaw
All You Need Is Love, featuring John Wetton
-*-
Empty Spaces, featuring Billy Sherwood
Brain Damage, featuring Geoff Downes
School, featuring Rod Argent
Deep Down, featuring William Shatner (Captain James T Kirk!)
Little Drummer Boy

Thanks Graham. Interesting.
A very odd mix to be sure. Beatles, Floyd and Supertramp (not a band I’ve ever taken to) etc covers. And…Shatner! Blimey…

I’ll have a listen, to be sure, but…not enthused by the track list, sadly.

I wonder if it’s a comp of sessionwork Robbie did - the albums these tracks featured on for example - as opposed to a specific RK album. Purple Pyramid (not a label I know much of - seen a couple of albums under their banner but can’t remember what) makes me think the former…but of course I could be way off base.

Alive, She Cried ordered.
Saw that Bernie had mastered it, which makes it worth a shot - the original sounds pretty damn good so it’ll be interesting to hear if he squeezes any extra SQ from it.

Sadly it has one of the worst-looking Elektra labels…as a logo it was a long drop from the classic big E.

1 Like

Weird little video… the little guy looks the same!

As I think have posted before, the cover shots for ‘Strange Days’ were shot in Sniffen Court in New York City, a private gated street of 16 mews-type houses. Claudia Schiffer was a one-time resident.

If I had known, I would certainly have visited when I used to travel to New York a lot on business.

Yes, @jegreenwood first posted a photo way back in the thread:

He and I had a brief ‘conversation’ about it before on Hoffman…I was not a little impressed and a bit envious that he lived/worked so close to the Court.

I’d love to see it in person.

See it? You could buy one there for a few $million, and drop by and have a coffee with Claudia!

Nah…she probably drinks Nespresso.

… with a slug of schnapps!

We used to have drinks at her flat.

(Joking - I never saw her.)

Thinking about this - I’ve lived in the area for over 40 years. I can’t recall ever seeing anyone enter or exit through the gate. Except on the one occasion when I was invited in.

1 Like

Heady days…

2 Likes

one of these days, someone has to explain the Doors to me. I still don’t get it

Get hold of their classic ‘Absolutely Live’ 2LP album (or CD, or whatever your chosen replay medium.).

If you don’t like that, The Doors aren’t for you!

I’m on it.

It’s not that The Doors ‘aren’t for me’ - I’ve been around, you know…I’ve listened to my share of Doors music. It’s just that they’ve never clicked - in the same way that the Eagles or Queen never clicked for me…Until they did.

So I’ll put this on my new listening programme for February

1 Like