The Doors

You’re right, of course, but that assumes that the RSD releases will be the same in the UK and the USA, which hasn’t always been the case in the past.

I will make enquiries in some of the (many) record shops in Brighton.

It was the same date for Bakersfield iirc, but I’ve never closely followed US dates.

I may actually queue up for this one, just because I never have…see what it’s like (if my work rota lets me!)

Record Store Day is also 20th April in UK and appears that Live at Konserthuset, Stockholm is included…Record Store Day List 2024 :+1:

1 Like

Price for the three LP set has been quoted at £75…if it improves (:crossed_fingers:t3:) on the bootleg copies’ SQ (distortion on vocals, but that could be on the tape, a problem with Jim’s mike, I’ve read) it’ll be a stunner…hell, even if the vocals are still a bit messy, the fact that BB has remastered it from the original 4 track tape will still make it essential.

The CD set will be be £25ish.

A ton well spent, for me.

A nice summation:

To say that The Doors’ September 1968 European tour was a pivotal moment in the band’s career would be an understatement. For the first time, the band performed for European fans, whose insatiable appetite for the musical (and political) theater of The Doors was palpable, resulting in a rare, intimate connection between audience and band. In addition, The Doors co-headlined the performances with their rivals from San Francisco, the Jefferson Airplane. This led to an unspoken yet intense competition between The Doors and the Airplane to see who could blow the other off the stage. The result would mark The Doors’ emergence as a global force in rock music and solidify their status as one of the era’s most influential bands.
The tour was a maelstrom of activity. Over the course of 17 days, The Doors performed in five countries, recorded three different television programms, were filmed for a political documentary, and let’s not forget the incident in Amsterdam, where Jim enjoyed a little too much of the local culture prior to a concert, passed out backstage, and spent the night in the hospital. That night’s show resulted in the first time Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger, and John Densmore performed as The Doors without Jim Morrison.
This set the stage for the band’s final gig of the tour at the Stockholm Konserthuset in Stockholm, Sweden. Recorded for an FM broadcast, The Doors’ two sets of music that night are considered among the tour’s best. The Band is tight, and Jim Morrison’s vocals are smooth as silk. It’s hard to believe Jim was in the hospital a few days earlier.
So turn down the lights, grab your favorite beverage, and get ready to experience The Doors at the absolute pinnacle of their career. Ladies and gentlemen, live from Stockholm, Sweden, The Doors!
David Dukowski,
The Doors’ Archivist

Posting not for the commentary ( I didn’t pay too much attention, seemed the same old), but for some rare early and band photos and even a some words from Anne. Oh and it has a photo of Jim’s headstone at the time I was there…lol…have permanent market, will travel.

“Some are born…” part of End of the night is taken from William Blake, title of the song and some lyircs inspired by novel Journey To The End Of The Night by Louis-Ferdinand Celine.

1 Like

Yup.
Jim was very well-read.
One of his tutors remarked that a colleague used a library to check out some of the books Jim knew about as they’d not heard of them.

I knew Blake before I knew The Doors, but Céline was a purchase inspired by the band. Controversial author.

Was playing this the other day on vinyl and there is a cover of Roadhouse Blues with Ray Manzarek on keyboards.

1 Like

A new Genesis publication…
NIGHT DIVIDES THE DAY: THE DOORS ANTHOLOGY.

Be still, my beating heart.

Surprised nobody has posted this one yet. I like to call it ‘‘Genius at work’’

3 Likes

Thanks for this vid of Ray @Montague :+1:t3:…sorry to be slow but I didn’t get a notification, or missed it.

Some photos from a few cover photo shoots, just for the hell of it:

2 Likes

You can see why Jim Morrison removed his sweater for the first album cover photo - what was he thinking?

It’s also fascinating to see the photographer (Joel Brodsky or William Harvey?) at work on the famous ‘Waiting For The Sun’ album cover shot. He must have got down from that car roof for the photo that was used.

Paul Ferrara shot the WFTS photos. Wm Harvey was Elektra’s art/design director.

I think Jim would come to greatly dislike and even hate the barechested images, the so-called ‘Young Lion’ - and I know he did not at all like being the largest face of the band on the first album cover.

Another Sun shot:

First photo I’ve ever found where the front door is open (was firmly shut when I was there - I didn’t knock, though tempted).

1 Like

Stockholm 1968, at last the official release…triple LP on the way.

Photo courtesy Mild Equator.

1 Like

A Feast…

4 Likes

Details please…

@DrMark
Quick summary as work beckons: recording from The Doors’ first tour outside the States in 1968, long available on bootleg but this is the first official release. As is typical with recent official Doors live releases not without some issues (mic drop outs, missing dialogue etc) but nice to have. It is a great show.

Only played record 1 of the set so far.

Live At Konserthuset Stockholm 1968
RSD April 2024.

For the unofficial releases, I also recommend the Audiovaults CD set Light My Fire - Live In Scandinavia which includes extra songs from a Norway broadcast. Rougher sound, but the best I’ve heard of the boots.