The End of DSLR's

Ian,

I am able to view CR2 RAW files in Windows, but only because I downloaded the necessary extension/codec. I am sure that the Mac O/S will have equivalent codec extensions available for download.

Similarly if you use an older version of Lightroom or Canon’s (free) PPC then you may have to upgrade to a newer version (or download the appropriate codec) to get CR2 support.

1 Like

I also lost my 20D with 70-200 2.8L along with the 28-70 2.8L, the 100 2.8 macro, 1.4X teleconvertor, EX550 flash and ring flash due to a burlary.
Never leave the camera bag in an unlocked car…with the keys in the ignition.
The car was stolen too, but what I really missed was the camera gear.

2 Likes

It’s an unusual choice, but DxO Optics Pro matches my needs well and processes RAW in a way that automatically complements the characteristics of the camera, so making it easier to get a base level ‘neutral’ conversion from RAW to TIFF with a minimum of manually applied camera/lens settings. Applying one’s preferences to this from a range of user defined selections applies those additional preference settings at the same time during the RAW processing.

I find that, for me, this gives a flexible result with a minimum of manual intervention and a very low level of artefacts. Yes, when I’ve tried them, using some of the ‘pro’ type raw converters I can squeeze a little more technical quality out of an image, but at the expense of a lot of manual tweaking. None has yet made me want to swap simply because, to get as good a result as DxO, I have to spend a lot more time on each image, and for the few that really justify the effort, the improvements over the result when further manually optimising DxO are usually quite modest.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Both mean insurance is invalid.

Not only the end of manufacturing DSLR’s but also repairing them.
My Nikon D5000 has just developed the Naim fault of LCD screen fading to the point of being unusable so can’t use LV or see the menus to adjust any settings. Phoned up Fixation who told me that there are no replacement screens available any more, so camera is basically a paper weight.

What to do now… try and by one for spares and repair and try to replace screen.
Buy a second hand more modern DSLR and run the risk of that developing a fault that can’t be repaired.
Or junking all the lenses and going mirrorless… not something I wanted to do with retirement looming considering the cost of these camera’s.

Anybody know what the spares situation is for Canon DSLR’s ?

There is a body on ebay … £50 … shows the screen as working … shutter locked up

1 Like

Take a look at secondhand D5000 on MPB they have bodies at £129. Continue to use your existing lenses?

1 Like

Love is…

G

7 Likes

Nice. Shouldn’t it be ‘Liebe ist…’ :wink:

1 Like

There’s a guy in Oldham that specializes in repairing Canon camera’s. He repaired a canon lens for me a few years ago, at a very reasonable price.

John Lewis sent a lens under warranty for repair to an independant repairer somewhere in the midlands.

There could be hundreds of independant repair centres in the UK.

1 Like

You don’t need to ‘junk’ lenses to go mirrorless with Canon - all EOS EF lenses can be used with R cameras using an adaptor.

2 Likes

I think it’s the camera , Jessops have refused to reply to my numerous emails and the wretched thing is going back.

I may treat myself to a Nikon ZFC , I know it’s a marketing ploy to build a mirror less like an old F2 , but I like the l👀k of it.

Never had a Nikon

Why are you wanting to junk your lenses… if you have Nikon you can use old and new alike using the Nikon’s FTZ adapter tailor made to allow you to use SLR lenses … my AFS lenses work a dream on my Z7ii … and yes some of my old AFD lenses (with the mechanical focus screw coupling) work, but manual focus only, as is the case on some digital SLR cameras

2 Likes

It is not the camera.

It is the software that you are using. Just wait for it to catch up.

4 Likes

I loved Ektachrome (E100) for landscapes… I like the warmth and its saturation with the slight exaggerated contrast. Some of my good sellers have been shot with Ektachrome.
Luckily Ektachrome still very much in production, no doubt because of its beautiful rendering capabilities… I keep my trusty Nikon F5 for when I want to to do a film project.

I never really joined the Velvia brigade… it was too slow for me and I always felt it had a slightly annoying colour cast.

1 Like

Thanks

The camera was announced in May, released this month.

I have three other Canon cameras that will shoot in Raw. Also not entirely happy with the focusing and colours in Jpeg

About seven unanswered emails, I have also been onto DP Review , to check if others are reporting it - and nobody seems to have reported a similar problem .

I certainly wouldn’t want to swap it .

best wishes

Ian

Lehmann’s…? Probably. Stoke on Trent, I think.

2 Likes

Shouting at a problem rarely helps.

But… YMMV…

I am with @Bananahead on this… :thinking:

Trying Hard to Remain Agreeable

I am surprised that you aren’t happy with the focusing and Jpeg colours. Which picture style have you chosen?

I think that Jessops have not had good customer support for a while so I’m not surprised by them ignoring emails.

2 Likes

I didn’t shout, I was very restrained .

The camera was announced in May, I have been using Canon cameras with Raw for years - I have three .