The fate of the NAC-N 272. Still keeps me awake at night

No problems it was probably just my fat fingers or the dreaded auto correct. As for an idea see my post above re what would happen if we all had a say in Naims R&D.

2 Likes

Was it a first…or has it happened before?

G

2 Likes

The degree or the wind?

1 Like

That is the question…

G

1 Like

Oh well, as a matter of fact also Linn at a given moment was working on a CD player …Who knows… :grin:

So in reference to the thread title, I sleep well again after the post by charlie.henderson in the Naim announcement tonight? thread.

And as for the rest of the Naim portfolio… despite the temptation, I’m not going to be drawn on exactly what is going on behind the scenes, but as I’ve said before, we’re listening, and we’re busy, perhaps more so than ever before. I’ve been asked for example about the 272 on many occasions, and while not confirming anything, at times like these I always remember the phrase ‘the best things in life take time, but are always worth the wait’ :wink:

I’ll also take that as a “it’s coming soon”.

I rather take that as it or something(s) broadly similar, is/are coming sometime, but not particularly soon (i.e. when we’ve got it/them right!).

Trying to improve on the 272 is not an easy task by any means; and, due to the complexity is going to take a lot of tweaking to get it properly optimised, particularly in layout and construction. This sort of optimisation takes a lot of time.

2 Likes

I don’t take it as coming soon, I believe “take time” is not said without reason, but I do take it as something good is coming in this space of the portfolio, and this is good enough for me and what I hoped to hear.

1 Like

What I find interesting is how prices drop so quickly for relatively new products. You can get a 272 from a dealer for >2k and NDS >3k from a dealer!

We are definitely not near stable with the streaming landscape…wonder if and when we’ll see that. With CD and Vinyl it was easy, this is the media now make it sound as good as possible. With streaming the media is constantly changing.

Maybe it’s the chrome cast certification and Apple airplay certification that’s taking time ?

My best guess is that we will see something beginning 2021 …

The reality is though when/if the 272.2 appears half will be extolling its virtues and half will miss the ‘certain something’ the ‘old’ 272 had…

I’d put money on it.

G

3 Likes

172 and 272 are gone, but 202 and 282 are still here.

says it all to me…

2 Likes

Do you miss it, secretly?

1 Like

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it ?

100% no Jim. To be fair the big uplift came at a cost…but it is a big uplift and I could fund the cost. That it does need that level of investment to improve on it just goes to show how accomplished the 272 is.

G

1 Like

I’m sure you are right, though of course there would be no compulsion to move on from what one has. I always enjoyed listening to the CDS3 more than the CD555 for example. There is actually nothing wrong with sticking with what you have, superseded or not.

While Charlie’s words can be interpreted in any way you want, it is clear that ‘things’ are coming in due course. I’m perfectly happy to wait, and if a new 272 type ‘thing’ appears, to assess it against my 272. And if the ‘things’ are not something I want I’m quite happy with my 272, which I still hold in the same high esteem as I did when I bought it. I will have owned it for five years tomorrow.

2 Likes

The 202 & 282 are archaic technology that is optimised to the Nth degree and in which there is very little room to further improvement

The 272 is based on more modern designs and provides plenty of opportunity for further optimisation.

For me that is the salient point:
The 202 & 282 will stay much as they are (until an entirely new approach to preamps starts to be used, including the use of + & - voltage rails for the analogue electronics, as is being used in the 272); whereas the preamp circuit and layout of the 272 is still being developed and far from it’s final developmental state. Note that the transition to + & - voltage rails will also require a revamp of the power supplies - it’s a big project and the 272 is a very good start, expect the next generation to be even better!

1 Like

Hi Xanthe. Could I just ask - if the 272 has + and - voltage rails, how come it works with existing power supplies if these need a revamp to enable them to power such devices? Or are the XPS and 555PS ok because they can already do this, and in fact you are referring to FC, HC and SC. Thanks!