The Grand Cafe

I did mean funny peculiar

1 Like

Yes i got one last week…kind of left me scratching my head, and as you say just one post😬

1 Like

Don, sorry, I may be missing something here. I’m sorry if you found the anniversary badge insulting. It’s basically just a way to mark the duration of your membership of the community, and of course the contribution threshold is set to a minimum - even one contribution is still adding something to the community. Was it the way it was phrased, or maybe it touched on something personal?

I’ll message you, just in case its something you don’t wish to discuss on the forum.

2 Likes

For me if you have to have an anniversary badge just drop the one post comment, it is just unnecessary.

2 Likes

It’s part of the platform, so not much can be done about that. I was just concerned that it maybe jars with some other personal anniversary or other.

1 Like

We surely could not have done with the single post/topic which was created by Patrick a few weeks ago:

390 posts following!

1 Like

Ooh, just checked and confirm I have been awarded my second anniversary badge! I could wear it with the 40 other badges, but they don’t provide pins…

1 Like

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your response. Really appreciated.

The Anniversary Badge feature didn’t touch anything specifically personal. But it did present an impression of dismissive, general indifference to the contributions made over the past year.

I think that most of us on the Forum these days put quite a bit of effort into our posts to try to make them entertaining, informative, light-hearted and devoid of aggression. As Gazza has said, the reference to a single post is perhaps the issue, and that reference is probably unnecessary if the purpose is to simply mark the passage of time. And single-post members are as valuable to this Forum as prolific posters.

I also appreciate that the Forum is on a hosted site and the wording of some of these features isn’t necessarily Naim’s preferred choice. Nor would I expect you (or Naim) to vet/edit every aspect of the hosted site.

As always, these are merely my opinions, other opinions are available :sunglasses:

Cheers
Don

2 Likes

Ah ha, I’ve got one as well, there must be quite a lot arriving for the “old buqqers from the old forum”

But I do question the appropriateness of badges in the context of a social space where a bunch of mostly middle aged men talk about a hobby.

It is NOT bl00dy Pokemon.

I think, in most of the western world and for the most part, that is no longer true. There is the question of whether you look at pay inequality or pay difference. The former is illegal in the UK (and other countries), but the latter is not.
If you look at the pay gap - i.e. the median amount paid per hour - in the UK it is about 8% in favour of men. In the airline industry, for instance, pilots are paid more than cabin crew - and most pilots are men, and most cabin crew are women, and in some airlines this leads to a pay gap of up to 45% in favour of men.
There are organisations where the pay gap favours women - the Three Rivers Council in Hertfordshire, for instance, has a pay gap in favour of women of 42%. In Europcar there is a 26% gap in favour of women.
Part of the problem for figuring all this out is that women tend, for whatever reason, to go for jobs which may be part time, or seasonal etc., which lowers the median pay overall. Also, many of the figures used to show that women are paid less are for life-time earnings - and with women having to do the childbirth and so take time of work, their life-time earnings will be lower. Even with maternity pay, if you take several months off work then not only do you lose some pay during that time, but also when you return you have not progressed up the hierarchy ladder during that time, while other colleagues may have.
For employees under 40 years of age, the gender pay gap is close to zero, according to the ONS. And to be clear, the gender pay gap is calculated as the difference between average hourly earnings (excluding overtime) of men and women as a proportion of average hourly earnings (excluding overtime) of men’s earnings. It is a measure across all jobs in the UK, not of the difference in pay between men and women for doing the same job.
A couple of other interesting stats:
The largest gender pay gap among all employees is in carpenters and joiners (44%) and energy plant operatives (41%). The lowest is in archivists and curators (negative 36%), and personal assistants and other secretaries (negative 25%).
I don’t imagine anyone is to worried about the negative pay gaps.
I have also read many times that in America (don’t know about anywhere else) most of the wealth is owned by women.
All this is not helped by examples such as Adele’s who has divorced her husband, and he has been awarded a substantial part of her earnings and wealth from the time they were married. Many women around the world are really angry about this, saying that she shouldn’t have to pay her ex-husband anything. Though of course, if it were he who had the fortune, it would only be right for him to pay her.
Or for instance the Paris council fined (a relatively small fine) because it hired too many women to top positions. This comes about because of a 2013 law, which was intended to ensure that women get better access to senior jobs in the civil service, requires a minimum of 40 per cent of appointments for each gender. They have 11 women and 5 men in top positions. So they fall foul of the law. But There was an outcry about the fine because, although they broke the law, they should be allowed to do so because they have favoured women, and that is good. The interpretation is not that there should be equality in gender, but that there should be equality or even superiority in female numbers.
I have been a long-time subscriber to New Scientist. I’ve noticed over the last few years that the gender makeup of the staff has become overwhelming female.
The BBC has been criticised for its gender pay gap. But it is interesting to note that they have something like 29 female presenters (on Radio 4, I think, or it may have been wider than that), to 18 male.
The Radio 4 female journalists outnumber the male journalists (I can’t remember the figures, I’m afraid.
American university graduates outnumber males by quite a bit.
So there are successes out there - but we don’t really hear about them.

1 Like

You are not - I just got one.

I’m sure there are quite a lot of us (not just me) who have now got two of these badges.

Best

David

I want to know where on the Naim website I can cash these badges in for a NAC 500

I haven’t posted Dark Side of the Moon 50,000 times to get the number of likes for nothing.

9 Likes

Now if they made it a Green Logo Badge…
I’ve got 2 Anniversary badges now. Looking at all my badges, I think my favourite is Out of Love, my least favourite is Regular (I’d rather that aspect of my digestive system wasn’t shared to all forum members).

3 Likes

Badges as currency. Now that would incentivise me.:thinking:
Or chocolate edible badges.

2 Likes

Woohoo!

Just received my anniversary greeting from the forum, … aw, that’s made my day.

But wait, not just me then?

Harrumph!

1 Like

Actually you have 28, but perhaps you are including non forum ones. :sunglasses:

Male workers in those areas?

Probably mostly female workers in those areas, and they are paid (on average) more than male workers in those areas.
A problem with all these figures is that they are not looking at equivalent jobs - simply at all jobs. But how do you equate jobs? Difficulty? Skill? Danger? I remember back in the day when there was a lot of trouble in the shipping industry, and particularly in ship building. Much of it was to do with demarcation - an electrician could not take a light-switch off a wall, that had to be done by a carpenter or something, then the electrician could fix the wiring, and the carpenter could put the switch back. Something like that. Anyway, there was a large argument over gender pay equality. The cooks in the staff canteen were demanding, IIRC, that they should be paid the same rate as welders or riveters, because their job was apparently just as skilled. I’ve not done riveting, but I have done welding, and I’ve cooked, though not for large numbers of people. I’d say that welding is much more skilled, but that’s just my opinion. How do we measure these things? Anyway, as we know, shipbuilding largely went abroad, for some reason or other.

Just hooked up the IBLs to my Nait 5. Fast they are. Very nice for lighter music, but certainly not as good for symphonic music as the SBLs.

One of the tweeter connections is unreliable. When the plug is almost fully inserted it works, but pulling it out or entirely in mutes the tweeter.

Not sure yet if it is the cabling on the inside or the connectors itself.