The Listening Room Reality

Hi Thomas, watched this latest from Jesco this PM, he’s very good and comes across as a really nice fella. :+1:t3: ATB Peter

1 Like

A nice summery of speakers’ behaviour, and how we perceive sound in a room.

No technical details, the basics everyone should know when having HiFi as a hobby

–> https://youtu.be/mjliP25NiW4

3 Likes

Thanks that was very interesting

He’s pretty focussed on the >=5ms delay for determining speaker distance from walls.

I’d be interested to read some background to that number, any suggestions?

Looking at the video two things excited me, his system and the wine rack with stacked bottles…!

I decided to get an expert in acoustics in to observe and measure the situation here. It’s not that I experience a certain acoustics issue, but more to be sure and understand if treating my room makes sense.

Spend three hours with him today to measure and listen. Quite some good news: the positioning of the speakers, which I have done myself, seems quite ok. Second, no real big issues in my room. Yet there is room for improvement especially when it comes to controlling the bass and to my wish of getting as much “air” in the sound as possible. Measurements where done with specific software and a very advanced microphone. The whole room was measured, so not only from my listening position. The experts now takes a few days to conclude and turn his observations into a clear advice for treatment. I expect several corner bass-traps and some diffusion. He works with products of ArtNovion. Rough (!) estimation is that this will be an investment of around 3-4k. Looking forward to the outcome
Iver

7 Likes

Apart from alpine and sport climbing, my hobby for the last 3 years has been understanding acoustics in a listening environment.

I went through some nice videos (including this video posted by @Simon-in-Suffolk) and very interesting/educative readings like some AES papers and handbooks like “The Handbook for Sound Engineers, 5th Ed.”

The following one is, I believe, a must read to anyone interested in music reproduction through speakers based systems.

After going through part one of the book, I concluded that the “source first” or “speakers first” credo is largely overrated…

“Room First” is a reality, largely underestimated… unless, of course, for headphones based systems.

Table of contents:

8 Likes

Ordered on Amazon. Available as of 5 February -

1 Like

Ordered one too. Should be interesting. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Couldn’t you just shut the curtains when listening? Wouldn’t that stop the second reflection on the glass?

Hi Yoman, well I was literally just mocking about at that stage trying all sorts to see what the effect they had.

This is what it looks like now. There is 100Hz tuned absorbers behind the curtains resting on the floor. I leave the curtains in that position permanently. ATB Peter

6 Likes

Reduce, likely above a particular frequency, probably mot stop. How much reduction and over what frequency range would depend greatly on the curtain material.

1 Like

I came across this product earlier and thought it looked interesting and attractive, I realise after reading some of this thread that looks don’t mean anything when it comes to room acoustics and treatment.

They come in two sizes and each size comes in two thickness’s, I think somebody in the know could make a very interesting wall using multiple thickness’s.

1 Like

Top 5 of all rooms on the forum
Rug is lovely
The whole room just works perfectly
I’m sure music sounds quite good as well
David

1 Like

@Thomas Hi, very interesting topic, a ton of invaluable info here, thanks!
Really interesting seeing how your room has evolved, looks fantastic too (and yours @PeterR :slight_smile: ) which shows that treated rooms can be aesthetically pleasing as well.

I’m just starting out with my first modest Naim system, bought a few weeks ago … and loving it!

Whilst I like my speakers (part of an AV surround system I’ve had for nearly a year) I think I need to look into the room before upgrading them, things can get a bit harsh on certain tracks when taking the volume beyond 9 o’clock. We are currently doing up the living room where the system is located so could be a good time to look into it, although not sure how much I can get approval for!

Reading this topic was a result of me doing some REW measurements and being a bit shocked by the results!

The dip between 200 and 500 hz looks like a problem? Bass peaks should be tameable?

The room is 6.6m x 3.6m and 2.3m high and I’m listening widthwise. Wooden floor, 3 sofas, windows to the left and patio doors to the right, not much on the walls yet, tv between the speakers (so restricted on listening position) and centre speaker above the amp (on isolation foam but which I guessing is still a big no-no :grimacing:)

Any tips on where to start would be appreciated, meanwhile I have a load of videos to watch from this topic :slight_smile:

Thanks again,

Mark

1 Like

Ah Hawks’ Rio Bravo. Dean and Ricky taking on My Rifle, My Pony, and Me and Walter sending Cindy.

How may measurements did you take … you need to take a whole series…moving the mike a little each time…then average out…

Home auditions. That sounds excellent and I am truly envious. Over here in the Colonies (Canada), it is a rarity. When I am in doubt regarding an item, I have to buy it preowned, so I can sell it on if it isn’t up to snuff.
I salute your dealers.
Cheers.

Always enjoy a good western in the afternoon :slight_smile:

Ah good point, I’m used to doing that for the AV side of things, didn’t occur to me to do the same for this. I’ll do the measurements again, been trying to sort out the speaker positioning first … and driving the family mad at the same time :wink:

Thanks.