The Lunch Club

On a couple of occasions to be fair, but they were health related.
A few brushes with death over the years, but honestly never considered “Death Row” scenario… :man_shrugging:t4:

Yup. Shepherd’s pie. Only problem is that it would have to be my own. Perhaps that’s why I usually keep a few standing by in the freezer…

2 Likes

I watch a lot of TV. It’s a repeating scenario.

Depends whether at home or not. Have to go a long way to beat a buttie. Leftover rare roast beef always a winner. Or some dry cured bacon. Toasted Swiss cheese. Dressed crab always good.

Best lunch if out is ideally in a good restaurant with one or more decent bottles to share with like minded friends. That’s about it I guess.

1 Like

I would rather not know it is my last meal whilst I am eating and hopefully enjoying it.

1 Like

I have a fresh soup every day for lunch. Either a home made one or much more often, a Waitrose fresh one.

Apart from exercise, if I had to pick one thing that personally contributes towards a healthy body and I can see the benefit, it would be fresh soup every day for lunch.

1 Like

It’s a very easy way to get loads of vegetables in, but the risk is too much salt. I found that using peppers cancels the need for salt.

1 Like

I like a bacon bap or roll, though I am fussy about it: the bacon must be not too salty, which usually means not smoked, preferably grilled to render out fat and excess water (dry cured is best), cooked until the fatty tissue is crispy, or all fatty tissue trimmed off, no rind, and the bread to be white and buttered. Absolutely no sauces. Yummy!

However, there are other things I would more commonly choose in preference, these particular favourites coming to mind:

1. Krakowska or Zywieska (cured Polish pork sausage) with fresh crusty bread and butter… Maybe some gherkins (pickled in dill), but usually not.

2. Dry cured Italian or Spanish ham (lots of it), sliced so thinly as to be almost transparent, with fresh crusty bread, plus cheese - ideal is Comté, Gruyere, Beaufort etc, but many others, from various countries. For accompaniment avocado is perfect (sliced, never smashed), and/or are small tomatoes.

3. Bruschetta: coarse chopped fresh tomatoes plus finely chopped onion & garlic, and coarse chopped fresh basil leaves, tossed with olive oil, black pepper and a touch of salt, served on toast. A summer delight when our own tomatoes are ready, but nice any time of year.

4. Dim sum - it is very hard to beat a wide selection in a dim sum restaurant, but there are none where I live so a rarity, however we usually have some siu mai and ha kow and sometimes one or two others in the freezer, so although limited it is still a pleasure and reminder of the lunch feasts we have had and will have again.

2 Likes

The Swedes have lunch nailed in my opinion… When I started visiting regularly I discovered the joy of rye bread brushed with mayonnaise and topped in smoked salmon. That base is then generously covered with prawns in mayonnaise, cucumber, hard boiled eggs, lettuce and tomatoes - all heavily seasoned with dill. It’s utterly delicious and satisfying and even pretty healthy depending on the quantity of mayonnaise used!

I’ve started making my own version at home and my mother (84) in particular has become a huge fan of it, so I enjoy putting it together when she comes over for an afternoon movie and seeing her delight!

2 Likes

This is my lunch today. We are so lucky here with great street food options. The parking lot in our office becomes a good market at lunch time. Cost about £1. It is a crispy catfish salad with raw mango, lots of chilli, coriander and fish sauce.

4 Likes

Danish

1 Like

How interesting so its origins are Danish - I didn’t know that!

1 Like

I was being a bit facetious as I’m half Danish. I’m sure they both lay claim to it.

1 Like

Smoked or Green? :bacon: :bacon: :laughing:

How about, simply, Scandinavian?
It does sound nice.

1 Like

Swedish would be onions beetroot and herring. Yum!

I think there are variations on the theme, this type of bread lunch is also popular in Norway, but without the Dill. In that regard, I think the Swedes (or Danish) like Dill more.

But I think the original Smørrebrød may have originated in Denmark…difficult to say.

1 Like

Join the Arctic Club.

2 Likes

If you like Dill and are visiting Sweden in early Summer. You could do worse than try their marinated Crayfish in beer and Dill. It’s a custom mostly done at their holiday homes with friends….and lots of singing.

1 Like

Crispy fried Spam slice,home made white bread,buttered thinly and a not too hot chilli sauce.

2 Likes