The Munich “Bird” Report

Another brand with a new turntable is Burmester. They partnered with YG Acoustics speakers.

Uploading: F6837DiA.jpg…

Those smallish YG speakers, I have heard them more enguaging at AXPONA with surprisingly Krell amp and a stack of MSB digital front end.

4 Likes

Pain is not the topic, that’s pretty good under control with the medicine. The real issue is mobility and risk of disbalance,………, and potentially again falling….

2 Likes

Very pleased to read that Kuma. I may join an Ear 861 to my Ear 912 one day. I agree, it makes music! :+1:
You said little system, but it’s already a 40 k only turntable system. You join an Nd555 to match the level of the phono source, and you have a 60k system. Not so little.
Of course, it’s not a 500 k like some MBL, Boulder/ Wadax or top Burmester.

Maybe @Yeti would share on that Dr Feikert/Fuuga cart. I have never heard.

1 Like

Go for it… you will be grinning Ear to Ear I reckon.

1 Like

Bert.
I hope you don’t have to move around much. In my case I relied heavily on my friends. My neighbour also lent me a walker. ( boy did I feel old ) :confused:
After this incident I moved my office space to downstairs so that I don’t have to go up and down so much.

1 Like

Yes what a shame as this is where is really shows it’s capabilities. More comfortable listening experience without too many people, which is rare at such events.

Not at all familiar with the analogue front ends. I still have my LP12, although my experience was also an enjoyable one as well with the EAR amps partnered with living voice obx r3. The source at the time was a top melco and chord Dave.

I was mainly thinking about the NAIM amp pairing with living voice which is probably not such a good idea and that they are really matched for other amps as suggested in a response posted by @Christoph in

Living Voice

I am still with the same kit that bought in 2004 but after a move the SL2 is in not such an ideal space. I have faith that they work when we finally move to our house in France. Let’s see.

Thanks for your thoughtful response BTW.

Never heard it I’m afraid, nor the Blackbird and origin live arm (by the look of it). A cartridge at that price is unsustainable to me unless the rebuild costs are at the Soundsmith/Audinote UK level (20% of new price or less), which I doubt.

1 Like

Hope you go well Bert. Good physiotherapy should help with strength and balance and give you more confidence as you recover. ATB Hugh

2 Likes

Haha. I was debating that. I think it could be with or without but you are right that it probably reads better without. It’s still a great verb.

MSB room with YG Acoustics speakers.

Uploading: tIag4IDg.jpg…

Uploading: qnv-MbNs.jpg…

At AXPONA the same speakers were driven by MSB front end and Krell amplifiers.

3 Likes

I heard that CD player a few years ago, nothing special actually …

I notice two trends which are not all new but always strike me as odd when looking at high end audio:

• After a certain price point, speaker aesthetics go out the window. Large, unforgiving, often black or just anything not wood.
  • After a certain price point, power amps are too large large to go on a rack and end up on the floor taking up even more space than the speakers they power.

I always find that a huge issue because it demands a dedicated listening room. Which is fine. If you have the money for that gear you are probably in a position to arrange that. But that assumes the buyer is in the “only the sound quality matters” brigade. To me, that view is incomprehensible because music is an emotional experience so what you hear is in the context of the room you can see and hifi that you touch and interact with. It’s all part of an inseparable whole. Who want to listen to a beautiful bit of music looking at two Daleks with a pair of mini glowing Sherman tanks next to them? I can forgive racks of gear. The right living room can cope. I can forgive a large speaker if styled well. But I can’t imagine getting the desired emotional response from most of the really high end gear at these shows.

Not made for humans mostly. Made for music listening Borg.

21 Likes

Unfortunately (or otherwise) it’s the modern way … athletes “medalling” etc. Then again, no doubt our forebears said the same about “it’s” versus “it is” … and I wonder what Chaucer would have called a power amp :slight_smile: … I guess we just go with the flow?

I used to think that and I agree that most of high end gears are uber fuggly. In addition most of those large costly systems at the show do not sound great so I am scratching my head why would anyone purchase them when they can’t even produce a half way decent sound.

OTOH, I have heard some great sound that from $$ systems at the show ( Kronos set up is one ) and I would love to own one. They are musical as my Naim kit but more. Or that TechDAS/CH Precision, when they put on Mahler’s Symphony my God, it gave the same kind of scale and orchestra presence that I have never heard from a big rig. I was able to connect emotionally right away even if it’s just for a few minutes. Perhaps it helps I do not listen to a music with my eyes.

Luckily my brain fills up the shortcomings of my rig. :grin:

3 Likes

I would say that the comma there is perfectly acceptable.

2 Likes

No worries, I’ll take a hundred lines and six of the best … back on topic folks …

1 Like

So after a nice intermezzo from Kuma, thanks for also sharing your experiences, I will continue with my experiences as well.
The next stop was Lansche Audio.

Definitely also a nice system, while I felt a bit too much focus on the low end, you could say overpronounced…. But I liked it apparently as I stayed a bit longer as well. They had something about plasma based speakers, bit sure what that means, but anyhow result was good….

They played

Fink Perfect Darkness (Fink was rightfully played a lot)
The Fairfield Four - Those Bones (also heard that somewhere else, nice obviously with the bass voice)
Annette Askvik - Liberty (also heard her more but didn’t yet find the music myself for buying in album form, I liked it)
L.A.4. Nouveau Bach

4 Likes

At Nordost they had again Wilson Audio Speakers. If I would be again in the market for a complete new system from scratch I would definitely consider to take Wilson Audio speakers in consideration, while a bit bigger as these one in the picture….

They played:

Timboletti - Dhunche
Arcnatro - Dear brother

As I am not so familiar with the musical choices I refrain for this one in commenting the sound as I feel I am not well positioned, while it had a certain base quality given the speakers.

Please keep replying to this post so I can complete the report for you, still a bit to go……

3 Likes

At T&A I was again a bit underwhelmed on how they presented their new speakers. They had more AV oriented electronics driving the speakers and it was a pity as the speakers had more ability then they where able to demonstrate with the chosen setup. As they have some amazing electronics I don’t understand why they did it.
What was interesting however was the explanation of the developer of the speaker on some of the choices they made to be able to produce the speaker with those characteristics.

They played:
Yo-Yo Ma - Ennio Morceone I beliefdidn’t make a note, but I belief you can see it in the picture
Gregory Porter - ……not impressive I wrote, don’t have a note on the specific song….

2 Likes

@Richard.Dane Is there any way to lift this limitation for @BertBird / this thread? It would be shame for this thread to either peter out early or alternatively to become cluttered with posts that don’t add anything but are just there to keep the thread going?

3 Likes