The Naim app is so janky

This is why so many of us cite network issues as they are often the cause, but exactly where in the chain the issue lies can be difficult to isolate.

How old is the router?
They can and do go bad, overheat/fail etc.

Last time I had major network issues it was due to an overheating Netgear modem/router (a common fault on that device).

1 Like

The router is a year old. The cisco switch is quite a few years old bought used. Everything was working fine until last month or so. I guess my question is why is it only the Naim app is so sensitive to these issues? Or perhaps it isn’t just the Naim app but other music apps.

Can the app be improved upon? It has very mixed reviews. How can we continually blame the network when the only thing not working is the Naim app. Just thinking out loud here Nd no offence to anyone! And I respect that many Naim owners have no problems with the app.

Do you have access to some kind of network scanner?

Tom (Naim support) mentioned trying this from the app earlier to detect devices on the network. I can’t find that option in the iOS app but it may not be for the Uniti series.

Are you on a windows/linux system or macOS?

There are various utilities that can scan your local network to find local devices. These can be helpful in troubleshooting if devices fail to appear in an app.

1 Like

I’ve had a faulty Cisco 2960 so it might be worth rebooting one item at a time when the issue occurs.

I may be totally wrong, but the Naim app doesn’t communicate with the NAS. It communicates with the NDS which then communicates with the Media Server on the NAS. (both being UPnP).

Maybe a firmware update on the NAS or media server is causing the problem, making the UPnP media server invisible to other UPnP devices. If you have smart TV on the network you could use it check if the UPnP media server is visible.

1 Like

My Naim app on Android works a little better with Tidal after updating the firmware to 4.7 but it still leaves a lot to be desired, especially in the UX. A simple example, but it’s one reason the only time I use the Naim app to play Tidal is when I go to bed (I like to have music on all night at a low volume): When listening to a favorited song (I often just play my Tracks list), the Naim app gives you a way to add that song to a particular Playlist but it doesn’t confirm that it was added nor does it tell you that song is already in that Playlist. The Tidal app does, so I use it (Chromecast) most of the time even though I’d rather use the Naim app since that way there’s one less leg of streaming. I know this issue is a relatively small thing but it illustrates how unsophisticated the app is. And like others have mentioned, when I shell out thousands of dollars for a streamer with built in music streaming services, I expect a sophisticated app.

1 Like

I do not have a tablet, and prefer a proper keyboard. I use an iphone a lost but not for this

1 Like

Just been away over night. Things stopped working again with the NAS drive and Naim App not linking up. Note that I can always play from the NDS direct but not the Naim App. Everything working okay now.

Checked Sonos App and everything is working with NAS drive no problems.

Common denominator in everything so far is Naim app. As can always play through NAS drive via NDS. Will get to the bottom of it all hopefully or maybe not. Lol.

How annoying whatever the cause, work sith Naim support.

I guess your phone has been away from home and potentially on another network, may be linked.

2 Likes

What’s your ticket number Dan? They’re back today (as it’s Monday) so I’ll find out where it has got to.

1 Like

I’ve had issues recently with the Naim app not showing the UnitiCore as a server. A hard reset of my iPhone was the only fix that worked after rebooting the Core and network to no effect.

Hi Richard, Naim support got back to me today with some suggestions. Things are working again by bypassing the cisco switch, and having the NAS and NDS hardwired to the router.

Russell Hope is contact with me and is suggesting splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

Sky Broadband have advised me not to do this!

So will see what Russell says next as its not clear how to split the bands!

TBH I am confused as to why the Naim app only works on one bandwidth and all the networking issues.

Why is it that Sonos app and everything else works apart from Naim app?

I am going with it all right now and things are working so progress is being made.

Ticket number is mentioned earlier by the way.

Thanks very much for the support and follow up.

2 Likes

107023 is the ticket number

It would be preferable not having to split the bands as modern wifi clients are usually quite able to pick 5 or 2.4 based on what’s possible/necessary. (5 being faster but having less coverage).

However, it seems that the older Naim streamers can have problems with this and can tend to lose connection, at least in certain networks and when coverage is shaky. Naim support seems to recommend the splitting often for the older streamers (and Muso v1), it comes up in posts quite regularly. In any case, it is a useful thing to try, if only to rule out that this is the issue. (Downside being that other wifi clients then cannot change bands automatically, either).

As far as I can tell from what I have been reading on the forum, this seems to be no (or less of an) issue with the new steamers.

1 Like

I haven’t got a clue on how to split the bands? Not clear when going into router settings! Do you know how to do that?

It’s surely a setting in the router’s web interface somewhere, but I have a different router. I searched a bit on Google but only found the question and nothing obviously helpful. Someone with a Sky UK router will surely be able to tell you.

Edit: Found something on the Sky Community forum, maybe this helps?

Go to your router config page which can be found by typing 192.168.0.1 into your web browser. The default username and password is admin & sky, with new routers the password is the WiFi password.

• Select wireless from the navigation bar and scroll down a little and untick the ‘Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz settings’

• Scroll to the bottom of the page and hit apply.

• Once the page reloads you need to go to the 5GHz wireless settings page on the sub navigation bar below where you click wireless before

• In the 5GHz section you want to go to the box called ‘Name (SSID)’ and add something like 5g to the end of the current name

• Scroll down and hit apply

• Then on any wireless device you should now see two networks. One network will be the same name as usual and will be 2.4GHz band and the other will be the usual name with 5G on the end (Or whatever you typed).

2 Likes

I have actually seen a router that was messing up multicast across bands. I.e. wireless to wired would be fine, while on the same band everything would be fine, but Chromecast (in that case) and device on different ones and it wouldn’t work. I solved it by disabling the WiFi and hooking up a separate access point. I’m just not sure how we can help @Dan_M diagnose this via the forum.

@Dan_M Can you share the make and model of your router?

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I have a mixture of legacy and new platform devices and I have a Virgin Media Superhub 2ac and an Apple Extreme as an extra WAP on both bands and the app on my iPhone and iPad always see everything regardless of which they are connected to. You shouldn’t need to split the bands.

Best

David

1 Like

Might be worth checking if the router WiFi channel is set to auto select or manual select. Auto select will enable the router to switch channel, if the channel in use becomes very busy due to interference from neighbouring wifi’s.

There’s an app for the mobile that will allow you identify channels used by neighbouring wifi’s. The interference from neighbouring wifi’s will vary at different locations in your home.

1 Like

This may have been suggested as it seems to be your control point that is losing access possibly by keep swapping bands.

I’m using an ND5XS as transport so I’m on 1st gen network too. My control point is a Lenovo Tablet that only works on 2.4 with no issues so there is no reason why yours should not do the same.

1 Like