The Naim app is so janky

True, but it’s the same for every app and still the Naim app reviews are much worse than comparable other apps

I give up. If someone finds a way for a network to cause or fix any of the things mentioned in the OP or the majority of others that were mentioned in this thread, go order a Statement because you will become a computer mogul

And HH, you know that you use only a subset of the app, we discussed this in the past. It may well be that it does all you want

1 Like

Could it be the NAS that’s slow responding? Does it sleep or have some low power settings that might affect responsiveness?

Probably not but just thinking laterally.

Dan, what NAS & UPnP media server do you have, I’ve looked in your previous posts but don’t see it.

Local network issues have always caused frustrating problems with media streamers of all kinds that are hard to pinpoint.

It’s all about how you use it ofcourse…

• When you have a NAS / UPNP server you can’t search that, which is a big shortcoming for a lot of folks.

• People have experienced major lag/latency issues when using Qobuz with large favorite lists (which made the whole app laggy).

• There currently is a bug that can make the volume jump to 100% instantly on (some?) Android devices, which is really quite nasty.

• The radio search doesn’t work well at all (at least on Android again).

Considering the last point: my favorite radio station is Soma FM Groove Salad, when i do search for ‘soma’ i get a page that says “No results” with a small ‘IRADIO’ label and an arrow. I first have to click on the arrow, which then shows these 3 stations:

Soma FM Bagel Radio
Soma FM Beat Blender
Soma FM Black Rock

No sign of Groove Salad, which doesn’t make any sense.

When you’re suffering from all of the 4 issues above, it’s a small step to declare the app pretty awful for your usage / environment, regardless of whether the network/discovery process works well.

Yes, but that does not mean that every shortcoming of the app is explained by network. None of those in the OP is, and neither most others that were mentioned. See above

Agreed, of course not. I was replying to a more specific post, perhaps that wasn’t clear.

I’m not suggesting people don;t have issues simply that they can be very hard to isolate and pinpoint.

Sadly I do not count Naim as in the streaming business as they do not do a desktop app that you can run the streamer from. I have a 552/500 but had to get a Linn Klimax so that I can. Please Naim…

Sorry if I misunderstood, yes, Dan’s issue might be in the network, NAS, phone, or whatever. Might be the app too, who knows. I guess I might be oversensitive by now because every time there is a legitimate complaint or feature request, someone shows up within minutes with “it’s your network”. Already happened in this thread as well, getting on my nerves to be honest :slight_smile: I was told the same for months, until I figured out what the issue was by accident, and there is progress now (as of yet unreleased)

5 Likes

No problem at all.

Over the years, away from the Naim forum, I’ve seen so many issues which eventually turn out to be due to local network sensitivities.

It may seem like scripted helpline support, but often restarting routers and devices can kick systems into submission and they work again irrespective of the actual link in the chain that’s problematic and often can’t be identified by the average user without resorting to networking forensics (beyone me too, maybe not my teenage daughter!).

Could you explain what you mean about not being able to search the nas? I have all my albums on one and can search perfectly fine.

Absolutely, stuff like discovery obviously can be network, and my forum experience also says that many networks are not the best (ethernet-over-powerline …) and/or of course not everyone is super handy with setting up and debugging networks - understandably.

It’s just that this fact should not be misused to declare everything a network issue.

2 Likes

Agree, trouble is the basic network troubleshooting steps such as restarting routers/devices which often fix things irritate users who’ve already tried those steps - but that is not always apparent unless responders have missed the fact in an earlier post.

I’m lazy and don’t always read from the start, sorry.

I described it with screenshots earlier in this thread, here is a link:

As someone who isn’t experiencing any problems with the Naim app, I’ve been scratching my head to try to understand the issues which others are having, and maybe help.

As above, in the app on both my iPad and iPhone, if I go backwards in the Servers list, I can see both my HDX, the prime music store, and also my Synology NAS, which runs Minimserver.

It’s true that I can’t carry out a search, as that seems to look in Tidal by default, but I can call up lists by both Artist and Albums etc. which allows me to find what I’m looking for.

Not sure whether this helps or not?

Hi @Mike-B, Zoneripper NAS. Using Asset UPnP. All was working okayish until last month and NDS links in fine. Just the app is unresponsive.

I can play all my music from the NDS. But the app doesn’t work properly. I have no problems with any other apps apart from Naim.

Who knows what it is. The rating of Naim App on appstore is 2.5 stars.

It’s not great!

That’s okay AC, all cats are lazy after all :smile_cat:

2 Likes

Agreed as well. Most of my work life has been in software support and I wish I had a euro for every time someone told me “yes, I did what you said” only for me to find out that they hadn’t when I checked it myself :slight_smile:

Unfortunately this means annoying other customers, but you have to ask the basic things :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Ross

I don’t run it but latest macOS version Big Sur and newer (ARM based Apple silicon) Macs can run iOS/iPadOS software, so potentially you could have a Mac computer which could run an Apple mobile app.

My old MacMini is too old for this ‘officially’.

May try one of the kids newer Macs.

Equally, I sit here using the 2012 Mini using Roon to control audio playing on my Nova, or Audirvana, Qobuz app etc. Many many options.

1 Like