The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Keep it, keep it )

Yeah I’m feeling really depressed

All my naim gear is sounding really crap now vs the new gear evidently

What shall I do Mike :crazy_face::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::flushed::flushed:

3 Likes

Down under fire sale………buy more old gear.

2 Likes

Grab a beer, a girl, or a :fire: sale bargain. Or, all three :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have never understood what difference regulated or inregulated makes, Richard. Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality?

Regulated power amps are something of a Naim speciality. This thread might help;

Note my post trying to explain the difference;

As I’m no electronics engineer and prefer things explained to me in layman’s terms, this is how it was once explained to me; A regulated amp is in essence effectively two amplifiers in one - one that regulates the other. It means that the amp is held to operate within very tightly controlled parameters and performance won’t be allowed to “sag” or “slide” like an unregulated amp when great demands are made of it. They’re not easy to do and quite tricky to get just right, which is why you don’t see them very often except from Naim and maybe one or two others in the past, like Exposure of old.

3 Likes

Ha indeed :+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Thanks, Richard, that helps. But I don’t think that I’ll be knocking on a door at Salisbury any time soon, looking for a job!

1 Like

Sure :+1:

Actually Quad had a different but maybe in some ways similar approach with current dumping. This was first seen in the 405 and was deployed in Quad’s top power amplifiers ever since. The approach there was to have a powerful but not particularly accurate amplifier to “dump” the power needed and then a small highly accurate class A amplifier in a feedback loop to get the output to be an exact, very low distortion, copy of the input, but larger. Peter Walker’s original article from Wireless World in the early 70s explained it all better than I can.

I use the most recent variant, the Quad Artera Stereo, which in my opinion is a strong competitor to the 250 DR (I have both here) and it costs only about £1500 new. In fact I choose to do most of my listening here with a Nova and the Quad power amp driving my SL2s and keep the 272/250DR mostly for TV watching.

6 Likes

My experience working with / building current dumpers is that they have a characteristic type of transient distortion that some people don’t hear, and which some other people find near intolerable!

1 Like

Looks like the 300 series has started to land at dealers in UK…excited to have a listen

Yep. I’ve put my exceedingly vintage Meridian 200 transport as front end to my nDAC/XPS, and guess what….it sounds just like an nDAC should.

Nice :grinning: :grinning:

3 Likes

Another new series😁

6 Likes

Has anyone heard a 52 with a NC250? I run a 52/Olive 250 and can’t help but wonder what upgrading my amp would do? I’ve followed this thread from the start don’t don’t recall any mention of mixing kit.

Might be that mixing Olive with new Classic or even Classic for that matter might not be ideal. Different sound signatures etc.

NAC 332 / CDX2.2 / 250DR / XPSDR

Here at home, on loan for a few days from the good guys at Audio T, Bristol.

Using a legacy cable, 332 replacing my SN2 / HiCapDR.

25 Likes

Unboxing pics of the exquisite looking and fabulous sounding New Classic NAC 332 :slightly_smiling_face:

17 Likes

Still ibls, Geoff?

1 Like

Hi @Ardbeg10y Yes with iBLs. :sunglasses:

4 Likes