The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Not having ever done it myself or had hands on with the NSC222 I couldn’t say for sure but the product guide says that the analogue input is configurable (I assume via the app);

• Configurable inputs: Input sensitivity pre-set,
naming, AV bypass mode and unused input
disabling.

Here’s what @110dB comments on the function;

1 Like

I was delivered a brand new NC 250 yesterday. Was not lucky, loud electronic hum in one speaker.
Today I could borrow a Chord signature tuned array XLR to XLR. Dead silence now.

I had previously a Nap 250 dr.
After around 40 mn run in, my first impressions are that the sound is still weighty, a bit less vs the 250 dr. But there’s more clarity, better definition, and voices are better defined and are nicer.
All good for now.

For the defective cable, my dealer said other customers had similar problems. This stock cable is a sh…

16 Likes

Good for you that the amp is ok!! Btw: my dealer said the same about the stock cabling…

Doing a home demo of the 350 right now. Tight.
Nd5xs2 → 332 → 350 (or vinyl source.)

Had the 332/300/250nc on demo a couple of weeks ago.

Will let these mono blocks run a couple of days (they are new out of the box) and report back

6 Likes

I seem to have damaged my cable by looking at it. Well, to be fair, I had unplugged it first but even so the construction quality is inexcusable at this level of product.

Good to know you like the amp so far.

2 Likes

Great news that it’s not the amp! May be your dealer can let you keep the Chord Signature as a gesture and apology?: )

yes, for me, always found the OC trying to sound big(ger)

have fun!

1 Like

I set up a thread (now closed) asking for opinions of various XLR cables and their use on NC kit.

Maybe we should ask @Richard.Dane if he could reopen it. Others may have more to contribute now that NC kit has been around for longer and may have experience of trying out different XLR cables.

6 Likes

At what volume do you hear the hum? I have just turned my volume up (NAC332/350) and I can hear a hum on both speakers with ears close to speakers at volume of 97 (muted obviously). It disappears as I drop the volume and is not there at normal listening levels.

Many thanks, Richard. That settles the issue.

A few comments on my listening experiences as my new 300 series approaches the 4 week mark.

The music sounds great. Rather than reading lots of upgrade threads, the thread that I read the most now is the music room ‘what are you listening to….’ for inspiration on new things to listen to. I have also been playing many of my CD rips which I am hearing in a new way.

Rather than an Ethernet connection from my SKY modem/router direct to my NSS333 I have connected the modem/router to an EE8 and then EE8 to NSS333. The EE8 also feeds my Roon Rock and tv. Everything else in the house is wireless via the modem/router.

I can’t say that I have noticed any sonic difference with the EE8 but everything seems to work rock solid without any drop outs. I have Roon playlists that consist of Qobuz and CD ripped tracks playing through the night as I run everything in. When I come down in the morning everything is still playing nicely.

The main improvement with my new system is that I am not thinking about the HiFi system but rather just concentrating on the music. I find myself enjoying tracks so much more and accept them as they are, rather than thinking ‘could the bass be tighter?’, ‘could the treble be clearer?’ Etc.

I can hone in on individual instruments or just enjoy the whole.

4 Likes

It’s a second hand one….so I should have a good price. Don’t know yet.

2 Likes

Great time, enjoy :+1:

1 Like

Thanks FR, hope you can finally enjoy burning in your 250 now you have the cable issue sorted

1 Like

Now, letting the system run in 4 hours and listening again , i can attest that the NC 250 is clearly superior. There’s a better feeling that the music is free flowing, liberated. It then gives an impression of better prat too. The sound is more natural too, juicer and fruiter.
Instruments seem to be better separated too, as there’s more clarity…
And it’s only 3 hours run in.
Well done Naim !!

I had also the 300 dr. It was weighter vs both , more authoritative. But too fat for my system and room.
I prefer easily the NC 250. He is more refined and natural, faster too.

17 Likes

Mine had some ups and downs the first couple weeks. Some days midrange heavy, some days too bright and spacey

Started settling in around 3-4 weeks and then the bass really came on song around the 5-6 week mark.

After that it’s pretty stable then a few months later it really added an ease and effortlessness about it.

Your experience may vary

2 Likes

If you feel inclined and like the content, JB Radio 2 HD sounds amazing with the NC gear. Such an improvement from before. Whatever they do to their stream is pretty special.

4 Likes

will let it burn in 24/24 for 3 days. For now I didn’t experienced lows and ups.

One thing appears clearly too: the bass is definitely better resolved. I love that.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will give it a try.

Interesting, it’s a concern I have about moving to the New Classics as to how internet radio sounds on the 222? I listened to a lot on the NDX 2 including low Rez streams and they were always remarkably good even at 128k.

Just had a quick listen, excellent SQ! Good music too. Art Garfunkel, Eric Clapton. I am watching TV in the other room now with JB radio 2 playing away on my system in the other room. I will listen again in about 1 hour.

Thank you for the excellent recommendation @ElMarko . :+1:

1 Like

Yeah, I have it on too, that version of Promises sounds so good, great low end extension, vocals. Some EC recordings have historically sounded thin on my systems but not now. Glad you like it. JBR2 has been at the top of my presets for years.

2 Likes