The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

:popcorn:

5 Likes

Nine days before expected the 500 series will be relegated to movies duties. :joy:

18 Likes

Naughty FR!

LOL

5 Likes

When the new classic 500 series will appear, the Statements will be probably converted to fridges.

3 Likes

Wine coolers going down to minus 20 C.

2 Likes

Everything but the new stuff is now broken, reduced to dust in the oblivion of useless old gear :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

You are a poet, MikešŸ˜‚

1 Like

Good idea :+1:. Specially today, 34 C here.

To be fair our dealer has advised couple of weeks back selling a kidney for the new 350s!

But it involves a speaker upgrade, total cost currently prohibitive (Serafino G2).

1 Like

Keep it, keep it )

Yeah Iā€™m feeling really depressed

All my naim gear is sounding really crap now vs the new gear evidently

What shall I do Mike :crazy_face::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::flushed::flushed:

3 Likes

Down under fire saleā€¦ā€¦ā€¦buy more old gear.

2 Likes

Grab a beer, a girl, or a :fire: sale bargain. Or, all three :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have never understood what difference regulated or inregulated makes, Richard. Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality?

Regulated power amps are something of a Naim speciality. This thread might help;

Note my post trying to explain the difference;

As Iā€™m no electronics engineer and prefer things explained to me in laymanā€™s terms, this is how it was once explained to me; A regulated amp is in essence effectively two amplifiers in one - one that regulates the other. It means that the amp is held to operate within very tightly controlled parameters and performance wonā€™t be allowed to ā€œsagā€ or ā€œslideā€ like an unregulated amp when great demands are made of it. Theyā€™re not easy to do and quite tricky to get just right, which is why you donā€™t see them very often except from Naim and maybe one or two others in the past, like Exposure of old.

3 Likes

Ha indeed :+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Thanks, Richard, that helps. But I donā€™t think that Iā€™ll be knocking on a door at Salisbury any time soon, looking for a job!

1 Like

Sure :+1:

Actually Quad had a different but maybe in some ways similar approach with current dumping. This was first seen in the 405 and was deployed in Quadā€™s top power amplifiers ever since. The approach there was to have a powerful but not particularly accurate amplifier to ā€œdumpā€ the power needed and then a small highly accurate class A amplifier in a feedback loop to get the output to be an exact, very low distortion, copy of the input, but larger. Peter Walkerā€™s original article from Wireless World in the early 70s explained it all better than I can.

I use the most recent variant, the Quad Artera Stereo, which in my opinion is a strong competitor to the 250 DR (I have both here) and it costs only about Ā£1500 new. In fact I choose to do most of my listening here with a Nova and the Quad power amp driving my SL2s and keep the 272/250DR mostly for TV watching.

6 Likes

My experience working with / building current dumpers is that they have a characteristic type of transient distortion that some people donā€™t hear, and which some other people find near intolerable!

1 Like