The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Yes. That’s what exactly what I had. It’s been replaced by the 332/300/NC250

The 332/300 are only a week and a half old so still breaking in.

The NC250 was a big step above the 250DR.

3 Likes

Thanks nicnaim

1 Like

I see empty pockets in your future……

1 Like

Ha ha - unlikely Mike

I reckon , considering bad in trade in values, Id be up for say an extra $30k - $35k

I think I’ll just sit tight

1 Like

Yikes! Here in the US the trade in values are strong so I got close to what I paid for the 252/SCDR/250DR

Yes, it’s a matter of timing to a large degree. If I was upgrading from my Nova or SN2, where I was a few years ago, the 300 series would be the likely route. But here we and I’ve switched to buying used to get better value given the long term reliability of Naim. Off course the local dealership changes weren’t foreseen either….

1 Like

Yes, just last Christmas I got a 3 year old 552 and a 7 year old 300 for less than a new 222/250.3.

2 Likes

Can’t beat that.

1 Like

We still don’t have pricing for the 333, 332 and 350 here. But I just got a new ND555 head-unit (no PS - I had one) in the local fire sale for what will likely be a tad more than a new 333. The market has been somewhat disrupted with the distributor issues.

2 Likes

You’re too polite Mike

It’s a bloody mess :crazy_face:

2 Likes

My guess is your Naim distributor is dropping the brand.

1 Like

A new naim distributor has just been appointed for Australia and New Zealand nicnaim

Hopefully a bit of sense now, the last 3/4 years have been a shocker

2 Likes

Yes, they seem to have a warehouse full of stuff to sell of (reported to be $2-3M of Naim products). The current fire sale is 40% off all Naim (and Focal), including the 222, 300 PX and 250 NC. They never had stock of the 332. 333 and 350.

Off course, second hand gear has gone down in price as a result.

1 Like

I think in the UK the 250NCs are coming up for sale as they are being swapped out for 350NCs.

2 Likes

Both the units for sale this week are for exactly that reason, upgrade to 350.

Just need someone to upgrade/move on from 350 now….

We are totally in two minds - continue upgrading lounge (where system is already adequate) but could take 552, ND555, 350s or new speakers…… OR start replacing SuperUniti with a proper system in office, due to tumbling SH prices.

Looking at your profile, if there are good deals Iain…….

You have invested pretty heavily in OC gear already, I assume, because you like it.
Do you like the NC presentation (?) and if so I think it was Jason Gould who commented they are effectively the sum of their parts which may have consequences…
If you like a deal and your existing kit is leaving you unsatisfied the OC will provide better value no doubt.

2 Likes

We are not at all unsatisfied!

Loving our classic system, but always looking to squeeze a bit more out of it.

Dealer has always said the ND555/552 need each other to really shine and is telling us we’d need to invest in speakers before getting 350s.

So the next step, in whichever direction we go, is a big financial punt.

Source first mantra should probably mean we swerve NC for now and get the classic pre or streamer on deals, or as they are discontinued.

1 Like

I actually prefer the 222/555DR/250 to the NDX2/252/SCDR/250DR. I would expect the 333/332/250 to push quite a bit beyond that line up. Imo the NC hierarchy has evolved and comparison to OC are not generally linear.

1 Like

Your posts are interesting.

Well you didn’t like the 250DR

And you didn’t like the 252 because you ran it with non DR PSU which many posters agree was a weak combo

Not sure you have ever owned a an NDX2?

So are you saying you prefer your NC222, 555PSDR and NC250 to a combination of boxes you’ve never actually had in your home, or even listened to?

1 Like