The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Do you know if there is there any on-line reference for this stuff?
Id also like to know if the NDX2 Analogue out Din- Din cable can be plugged in to the NSC 222 Analogue input which is an 8 pin
Im considering upgrading my SN3 to the new 222/250 combo, but am usure about my NDX2/XPS as pricing would seem to indicate its better than the 222, so I would really need to compare them over a few days/weeks.

A standard naim lavender cable that comes with the ndx2 will connect to the 222. The question is why would you buy a streaming pre and not use the inbuilt Dac and pre. 222 and 300 ps may be the better bet

Edit, just noticed you have the ndx2 and XPs dr already. In that case I would go for the 332 pre rather than 222

2 Likes

The NDX2/XPS would definitely sound better than the 222 streamer even when powered by the NPX300. Having had a 222/300 for 6 months now my view is that it is between the ND5 XS2 and the NDX2. If I was in your position I would keep the streamer, look at getting a 332 and initially run it into your SN3 power amp and when you can afford it, get a NC250.

7 Likes

That’s my plan as well unless a NC Supernait shows up soon.

2 Likes

Definitely give them a listen b/c I find the 222/555/250 to be a better sound than the NDX2/XPS/SN3 but that’s comparing with all OC and all NC. If you’re mixing and matching you’re going to get different results.

Are you sure about the XPS ?
I have an XPS DR and would potentially use it with an NC222 – the XPS only has one bundy connection
whereas the 555PS has two – the XPS also appears to lack a 5v rail.

Im just trying to think out a path forward from NDX2/XPS/SN3

I think a 332 would be overkill for me as many more inputs than needed, and would have to get a phono stage also for my limited TT needs. I only run the NDX2, TT, and SACD player (occassionaly)
This works well with my SN3, and I expect the NC222 will also be good. An NC222 is not going to sound bad :rofl: :crazy_face:
I think I may try the 222/250 combo on home demo for a few weeks after the holidays. That way I can always hook up the NDX2 and see if I can hear any significant difference.

3 Likes

If I’m going to be really honest, I’m not particularly fond of NC design or material selection. OC looks significantly more elegant IMO with its full casing and with the lavish powder coating.

8 Likes

I agree. My preference for the OC design didn’t stop me from purchasing a NSC222 but I feel that the new style is a bit over-embellished but maybe that’s what the market demands these days….fancy packaging to attract the eye seems to be everywhere.

yep 100% mate, theres a cable that goes from single xps to twin for the 222

Thanks, looks like a second hand 555ps might be a good investment in the future as well. As long as mixing the visual styles feels ok.

Regards

1 Like

i do think your right, 555ps should be better than an npx300 with it being 500 series, big caps and a lot less pcb etc

1 Like

Yes, the Martin Colloms review of the NC 250 in the new Stereophile is highly informative, well worth reading. It’s great to see MC back in print after the demise of HiFi Critic.

7 Likes

I just read the review. I could read no one area where the 250 dr is better. The new 250 seems to be clearly better on all aspects.
I started saving.

1 Like

Having owned both 250DR and NC 250, I concur.

Listening to St Germain - Tourist now, full blast. Blimey!

6 Likes

How can you remember the 250 dr, as you have the 222/250, before the Nova, before the 552/500, 252/?..…Just curious, not denying your impressions.

I owned the 250DR for 10 years (I had one of the earliest examples) and it saw me through the entire old classic range up to ND555/552, so I got to know it’s (ultimate) capabilities very well.

I of course cannot be absolutely sure which of the NC 222, 300 and 250 is contributing exactly what, and I suspect there is a fair amount ‘synergy’ helping things. But I did get to hear the ultimate capability of the 250DR and it doesn’t match what I am hearing with the NC250. By the way, I don’t think I have heard the best of the NC250 yet.

4 Likes

So, it’s official, the 222/300/250 is bertter than 555/552 250dr :wink: :rofl:

Not denegrating the 250 or you comments by the way Nigel, just being mischevious!

1 Like

My 250 replaced a 250DR I had for a few years. Determining which component is delivering the improvement requires testing I’m not interested in doing. I know I’m getting more slam, less noise/more clear space, and more musicality, than I was with my 250DR.

Now I understand much more :+1: