The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

You have probably thought of all this but the most straightforward explanation for the breaker tripping is either how your house/apartment is wired or that the breaker on that sub-circuit is out of its original spec for some reason. If possible I would first determine the rating of the breaker and then see if that same breaker is distributing power to something other than your amps. If those other things are drawing significant current through the same breaker then it is possible that the amp’s in-rush current plus the current drawn by the other devices is sufficient to trip the breaker.

I don’t know if your particular amp has some form of soft start built in. This feature is common for amps that have power supplies with a large amount of reservoir capacitance which presents something close to a short circuit when the power is initially switched on. Basically the soft start limits the current that can flow into the power supply until the capacitors are sufficiently charged. It can be as simple as a thermistor but a more sophisticated approach is an electronic switch that routes the current through a resistive element when the amp is initially powered up and then, after a short while, removes the resistor from the circuit. If the soft start circuit is not operating properly then you could also see the same problem you experienced.

No. The soft start is stated in the Nap 350 brochure.

1 Like

Thanks Peppo. The incorporation of a soft start is essentially what I suspected given the robust power supply inside Naim power amps.

1 Like

So I finally got to hear both the MSC222 and the NSS333/NAC332. No external power supplies were used. Apparently there was some tweaking going on behind the stack with chord Sarum T level cables on all from power cords to speaker cables. Also they used a power block from Chord so a lot of Chord in the mix. Speakers were Audiovector with an apoximate price tag of 10000€. I don’t know what they were called since I didn’t feel inclined to ask. In hindsight I should have asked😊.

Anyway we bagan listening to the 222/250 with some of their chosen demo material. It didn’t float my boat at all so I had him play some tunes I chose. And also some tunes my grown up kids chose. Much better but flat in comparison to my system at home. The family agreed. The tone of the 222 was described as too dry, lacking midrange resolution and tone compared to the system at home. However voices sounded great even though lacking resolution.

The 333/332 however was a different proposition. It sounded more like what we have at home, but with even more resolution making it easier to hear reverb and effects in the mix (according to my daughter). The flow of the music was better and the tone of instruments and voices sounded more natural and open. The system breathed more.

Both systems sounded good. I wish the store would have chosen different speakers though. Not to sure about them🤔

4 Likes

The description of the 333/332 is in comparison to 222

So would you swap any of your current system for NC components and if yes, which ones ?

Same cables in both setups? Asking because Sarum T on all positions is not a small upgrade compared to lower range cables :blush:

That move did seem to be cheating a bit to me. Put quite a bit on the price of the system if you want to take it home. My dealer always uses the standard cables on a demo system unless asked otherwise.

1 Like

Perhaps a fairer comparison would be 222/300/250 vs. 333/332/250, all with standard cabling?

I plan to have this demo late Jan. at my dealer’s. Then I will decide if the expected difference / improvement of the 300 series is really worth it to me. However, given my budget, that will rule out a speaker upgrade in the near term, so that I’ll have to factor that in.

1 Like

Yes maybe I would and if so it would be the NAC82 to NAC332 and possibly NDS to NSS. The caveat being I have no idea how the NC250 compares to the 250DR. The 333/332 sounded like they had real potential though and would be up to date compared to my old NAC and NDS.

However the fact the sound closed in on what we are used to at home also indicates the level at home is fairly high already😊

1 Like

Yes same cables

I agree

Yes you might be right but I really wanted to hear the bare 222/250

I have demo’d 222/250 and 222/300/250. The NPX 300 makes a significant difference and is much preferred. But at that price you are getting close to 333/332/250, which ought to sound much better still. For me it will be all about VfM and whether better speakers are (probably) needed to appreciate the benefit, and within my current budget.

2 Likes

The NC250 is much tighter and open compared to the 250DR. It makes the DR sound a bit thick and “one note” in the lower and upper bass. It’s also quicker to stop and start on notes and has better micro-timing. It’s at 300DR level in my opinion and taste and speakers will decide which one works better for you.

I’ve had my 332/300 for just over three months and it still surprises me how much better it is than the 252/SCDR it replaced. It’s just stunning.

4 Likes

@nicnaim I think you’ve summed up the new 250 very well there, when I heard the 333/332/250 I was sold, I only have the 250DR to compare with, never heard the 300, but the improvement was clear.

There’s a lot of talk here on how great the 350s are, and they are, but the new 250 is a fantastic step up from the previous one … imo.

5 Likes

I’m purposely not listening to the 350’s lol

3 Likes

In the same way I’m not listening to anything from the 500 series :slightly_smiling_face:

My boxes are:

ND5XS2/nDAC/282/HICAP/NAPSC/XPSXS/250HD.

I’d be interested to hear from anybody who’s changed from similar to the new 300 Series 3 or 4 box system in terms of performance quality.

I already have a 555ps dr which of course could be used with the 222 or 333