The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Have you tried the 332 without the 300? If you did, how did it compare to the 252/SC DR?

Or 332 I think

Good question Lucifer

For me itā€™s whether one can drop a box moving to the new classics

Otherwise itā€™s a bit cost prohibitive

If the single box 332 SQ is close to the 2 box 252/SCDR SQ then the team at Salisbury have certainly done their job

I prefer (SQ only) the 222/555 to any of the OC 200 series source/pre amp separates sans a NDS/252 but the NDS is doing most of the work there. I think the folks in Salisbury have done their jobs quite well.

Do you stock and pricing in Australia yet @Bevo? Nothing here across the ditch, zero. Nada, in the abandoned colony.

Harry is saying 300 series arriving in store shortly

No official pricing yet though Mike

1 Like

I have similar thoughts. My main hopes were the possibility to have the 222/250 only. That would have been a neat solution but it doesnā€™t look like that system is good enough (for me).

1 Like

Only briefly and it wasnā€™t close to the 252/SCDR. It was the first time using the onboard power supply. Iā€™m sure if I tried it for longer it would get better. I may do that next time I dust lol

1 Like

We did that demo.

The 252/SCDR was better than 332 without 300, to our ears. Adding the 300 elevates 332 to a higher level

Others with experience of similar system seem to agree. I think naim themselves have been saying something similar at show n tells.

222 is, as youā€™ve heard, not at the level youā€™re used to.

We heard classic components (ND555 etc.) into 332/300 and it seemed to work well. 333/300 offers new voicing for internet streaming, but itā€™s an expensive combo.

2 Likes

Thank you! I guess the 252/scdr still holds it own.

I recently demoed 332 with 300ps at home in direct comparison to my 252 SC. I am not going to be switching. I would say they are on a par with each other, but I found the 332 slightly softer in the bass and a bit warmer all round. Very much a matter of personal preference. Did not bother trying without the 300, sorry!

4 Likes

All that I can say is that itā€™s a very big step up from my 282/250, Iā€™ve not listened to a 252/SC/300 so obviously canā€™t comment on that but I had planned that upgrade this year. When the New Classics were announced I decided to put a hold on that and ultimately the decision to move over was an easy one for me, albeit at additional cost.
For anyone that already has a 252 I can see how itā€™ll be a more difficult decision ā€¦ have to listen and decide if itā€™s worth it.

1 Like

That is interesting. The 252/SC DR can be had for approximately 1/3 of the price of a set of 332/300 in my neighbourhood :blush:

1 Like

This is system dependant. for me 332 was better than 252, not much but over time you register more details, better base. probably depends on other obtimizations and source quality, and probably even speakers.

2 Likes

My feeling is it is very much ear dependent. People will prefer the new or old sound signature, they are quite different to me. I surprised myself because I really was expecting to prefer the new stuff.

4 Likes

:notes: ā€œMeet the new Naim ā€¦ same as the old Naimā€ :notes: ā€¦ well in character :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™m one of those.Iā€™ve been using the 252/SC DR for about 5 years and a 300 dr for 7 years. Now itā€™s only one week that Iā€™m running a full NC 300 without power supplies and TBH, I donā€™t regret my decision. The NC is not a merely cosmetic change from OC, itā€™s not a change of a logo light from green to white, or a different case. Here thereā€™s some serious engineering going on and what they have done in Salisbury is truly remarkable. Anyway this is according to my taste. But for me itā€™s a thumbs up for @110dB and his team.

8 Likes

Absolutely and thereā€™s also smaller but very nice touches like soft mute/unmute, remembering the last headphone volume, the ability to limit the volume and adjust input gain and of course the soft startup/shutdown.

Big thumbs up from me as well :+1:

1 Like

The speakers are an interesting point.

There are many naim classic users who, like us, will have chosen cabling and speakers based on hearing them on the end of classic pre/power, especially 252s (yes, that marmite pre).

I wonder if weā€™d all make the same speaker choice now after audition on the end of 332/300.

Perhaps not.

What was clear from our 350 listening session was that speakers likely not appropriate for a 300DR would be a breeze for the 350s.

2 Likes

This is a very valid point, Naim made speakers when the classic series was developed.

I know a lot dont get on with Focal on here but i think they are brilliant once you get to Sopra and up, they can be bright if not driven properly and with a source/pre that isnt good enough. i use Diablo utopia and honestly they are the best i have ever heard and owned.

I bet a pair of scala utopia would be top notch at home with the 300 series stuff when set up properly