The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Thanks! I’m very satisfied with 222/300, it’s sounding better and better every day. I’ll be sure to enjoy at least for a year before trying any other options. My wallet will also thank me :grin:

3 Likes

Ah u have a 222 … nice … enjoy :wink:

1 Like

Hi. I’ve been a reader of this forum for some time now and this would be my first posting.

I own a Supernait 3 and, used to own, an ND5 XS2. Since switching speakers from Canton Ergo series to Sonus Faber Olympica Nova 2 late last summer I have thought about upgrading the streamer.

First thought was to step up to NDX2, but then – the new 200 series was released and, also, the new 300. Naturally, reading here, and this thread in particular, was a given. I’ve seen a lot of posts trying to compare old classics with the new ones, is it better than OC 200 (or even 500). This is, of course, very interesting to read about. And I think quit a few people might be interested in that topic. But I thought I could give a different perspective, from my situation.

For me it was about going the clearly cheapest way – from ND5 XS2 to NDX2 and stop there, or figuring out if picking any of the new classics would be better – and potentially open up for a future, continued upgrade with amps.

I arranged a demo starting with ND5 XS2 and Supernait 3, just like at home – in order to hear how this sounded at the dealer. A point of reference. We then switched to NDX2 with Supernait 3. What a big difference! Really big. Huge improvement, I would say. We then switched from NDX2 to NSC 222 and used Supernait as a power amp only. I would say the sound character was somewhat different but not really better than NDX2 (not strange, really).

Then we switched from NSC 222 to NSS 333, using Supernait 3 as a complete integrated again. Oh – Oh – what a difference. Right there it was clear – NDX2 is not an option for me. This was a better sounding unit – it was more complete. NDX2 was “more of what ND5 XS2 already is, more powerful”. The 333 was a much more complete presentation. And, what impressed me most, it was a very effortless sound. It was like you’ve been walking around with 20 kilos of weigh on your shoulders and suddenly it was only 5 kilos. A very relaxed sound. Much more emotional than NDX2. Might not be as much rock ‘n roll, but so much finer in everything you played. It Is a great relief to listen to it, even when using “only” Supernait3. (I guess that says something about the capabilities of Supernait 3 as well…)

And yes, we listened to this one (and the 222) with the NAP 250 and with separate power supplies as well, just to hear what more there can be if continuing to upgrade. Did not cover 350 (feels too expensive for me) but might do that in the future too…

So, the perspective of coming from a lower end and moving up – I think 333 is a clear winner.

I’ve now had it for just about a week. It was a huge lift from the very first second. And now, of course, even better. Anyone thinking about upgrading from a place like where I was – NSS 333 is a really great choice, to me, a much better one than NDX2 (and NDX2 is not a bad one…)

35 Likes

Nice, thank you. Shows the old adage ‘source first’ still holds……

2 Likes

no … just that it’s important and it matters

and its a great place to start.

A great first post. Welcome @mr_christer.

2 Likes

One more thing I have noticed… There has been some discussions about system automation between NC streamers and OC amps (like Supernait 3) and if that really works. It works. You can use the app for controlling NSS 333 and adjust the volume control on Supernait 3 (the volume control knob is moving, so it’s not the cheating solution of lowering the output volume from NSS 333). Just like it worked between the OC streamers and Supernait 3 (though the volume is changed at a much lower speed now)

I believe I have read that at least one other person got it working as well. But in that thread the conclusion was that it works from the app but not when using the streamer physical remote control. I’ve tried that too – and it works. You can use the NSS 333 remote control to control volume and mute on Supernait 3.

So, if anyone here was wondering about that you don’t need to do that anymore. :smiley:

2 Likes

updating here
Now have NSC222/NPX300/250 NC with powerlines. PL definitely made a difference and the NPX was a big lift to the 222 in all the usual aspects.
One niggle only - my Vertere DG-1 with challenger/redline PS, redline cables and Phono-1 makes my LPs sound very much better than the streaming side. Hard to say why but more dynamic, flowing and coherent but without any loss of detail. The LPs really sing whilst streaming a track is ‘fine’, plenty of range, separation and detail but not quite as emotional. I dont know if moving to a 333/332 would help on this, but thought about it and the likely difference - at ex dem/ trade prices would be about £8k… thats a LOT of LPs… so sticking where I am.

6 Likes

Your vinyl setup probably costs pretty much as much as the NSC, and whilst I know cost isn’t everything, it doesn’t surprise me that the performance of vinyl replay is high in comparison. Though I’m not sure I’d have predicted it.

What balance of SQ were you after between your two sources? Or hadn’t thought about it until confronted with it?

Incidentally, I’m with HH, and think your setup looks great. The acrylic rack, with DG and New Classic kit looks awesome!

1 Like

I think not having a 200 level “bare” preamp in the range is a bit of a shame, that would allow a better streamer based 200 level system to be assembled without jumping to 300 level.

1 Like

Thanks….
I hadn’t really thought about it TBH. Happy that the TT sounds better than streaming as otherwise there would be no point in having it, and yes… the TT set up and the 222 cost about the same as a 333 and 332…… I do like my LPs through. I don’t have a huge collection (about 200) but I clean them with an USRCM and replace sleeves and add poly covers. I buy about 3 or 4 a month about half used.

1 Like

Maybe at the price point a combined streamer/dac/pre sounds better than separates (without the added costs of ICs, PLs and support). There’s a lot that can be done to optimize paths/shielding in a single unit and a single PS gets to improve all aspects. I can see why its a sweet spot…

1 Like

Hi, a minor issue, but my 222’s bank of 4 verticle backlit buttons of the right-hand side are a very warm white compared with the Volume circle and Naim Logo. Maybe it’s more obvious because the screen is a very cool white :slight_smile: But my 200’s one backlit button is not ‘yellowish’ like these.

Hope its not a bulb going, it was noticed from new a year ago, anyone else noticed this on theirs?

Having just checked, maybe they are slightly warmer white than the volume control, but they are similar to the logo. I have them on low anyway, so I don’t really notice. My 222 is ~3 months old now.

1 Like

Hi Brendan,
I have same set up as you.
If streaming side is lacking with instrument separation, realism and a constrained frequency range compared to vinyl a PhoenixNET switch delivered these for me - my speakers, room, ears etc. using a relatively cheap passive BJC Cat6a data cable.
Perhaps worth a demo but if vinyl is main source just enjoy that although chopping 222 for 332 maybe better in that instance.
YMMV.

1 Like

I don’t think so, because Brendan has about 20k vinyl source and 5k preamp with integrated streamer ( 222). His vinyl source is at Nd555 level. A PhoenixNet will not fill the gap.

1 Like

Your turn table must be pretty good b/c my 222/555DR (PLs all around) has all of those qualities in spades. I have wondered if there’s much difference b/w the 300 and 555. I’ve heard from two users that the 555 is better but by how much I’m not sure.

The Vertere DG-1 is a very good TT indeed, arguably in LP12 Klimax territory, (though more like £10k if that means anything…) I’m not saying there is anything at all wrong with the 222 its very enjoyable to listen to and hits all the marks of separation on a soundstage, timing, detail… its just that it isn’t quite as emotionally involving (that oh wow that sounds superb…) as the Vertere. Same LP eg. Peter Gabriel’s i/o streamed (as good as I can get it with Mac/ Audirvana studio etc - much better than the Qobuz or Naim app) sounds really good, but put the vinyl on and it just sparkles with immediacy and a real live music feel.
It’s a losing game though playing leap frog on SQ with different sources.
Initally the Vinyl lagged a bit first off into the 222 phono stage and wasn’t as good as when I had it through my old Devialet 250 (v good phono built in). The phono on the 222 has the wrong capacitance for most MM cartridges and makes them sound a bit dull. The Phono-1 and redlines fixed that…
So should just be happy that the 222 does sound so good, and not moan that its not quite as good as a very good TT… LOL

1 Like

Yes. its not the MG…

1 Like