The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

I confounded with MG…

1 Like

I have a 222/300/250 set up like you. My LP12 is updated to around select level and my phono stage in a NVC TT with the NPX TT and it is definitely a step up over the 222 streamer. Like you, I am pondering an upgrade to a 332/333 combo. I am also considering doing it in stages, so getting the 333 first and keeping the 222 and using it as a preamp only for a while. Financially it is a big step and it would mean another rack to fit the extra box or boxes if I get another NPX300. Very tempting though.

3 Likes

After long consideration I’m just about to push the button on a TT to go with my 222/300, which I’m very happy with. My hope is that I can listen broadly through the 222 and discover plenty of new music and then focus in on favourites and listen to them with better quality on vinyl.

To my mind, if I then double back and try and beat the TT again with streaming them my experiment will be deemed a fail, and the TT will go.

Seems to me you’re in a good place.

4 Likes

Hi BrendanD, I think you have just discovered the Achilles heel of NC lineup, while technically brilliant it cant convey emotions or make a human connection with the artist like the OC. While I do understand TTs are on another level to streamed music my experience is also the same with OC vs NC so fully understand your dilemma. Its such crucial and essential part of enjoying music.

SN3-NDX2 conveys emotions, warmth, artistry, while NC 222-250 conveys…well this is a good or bad recording, its clinical and not very involving. Sometimes I even feel it must be something wrong with my units because this just cant be the new Naim sound everyone loves?

2 Likes

Three days into LP12/222/300/250 ownership, loving the results so far. Using the 222 phono stage for now, looking at options for improving the setup in a few months time.

Initial impressions are very positive.

3 Likes

But if you’ve never heard an OC setup the NC gear is just perfect.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve heard the OC and the NC and find the OC to be lacking when it comes to making that human connection and conveying emotion even compared to the higher range of the OC. I’m thankful for the NC b/c I had all but given up on Naim.

1 Like

Hi Oxfordian, you are absolutely right!

There is no right and wrong here really, its personal taste and all we can hope for is that we all get to experience the magic we like weather it be OC, NC or something else!

4 Likes

Good to hear - I might be going down a similar path :wink:

1 Like

That’s what I do with music. Stream lots of stuff.
Discover things I really like and buy them on vinyl…

4 Likes

Streaming is priceless for discovering new music.

4 Likes

Hi ElMarko,

For me its exactly the opposite, and the specific thing NC cant do in my opinion is emotions. Funny how we all perceive things so differently but that’s why there is so much different gear I guess.

And ElMarko, you are de facto “Chief Marketing Officer” of NC on this forum. I think Naim should gift you a NC set up of your choosing and I sincerely mean that. No one has done more marketing of NC including Naim themselves. That’s an achievement!

5 Likes

Indeed. There are differences for sure. In my OC days I had s400 speakers so it makes comparisons difficult (known for their flat soundstage)… but I did like the Naim DAC/XPS2 a lot with my 252/SCDR/300…… never heared an NDX2 but I didn’t like the NDX at all. I would like to hear an NDAC/PS into the 222…. That said, with the TT the 222/300/250 is superb and on par with my previous OC and the whole style, ease of use, automation, lack of humming etc is a big gain.

2 Likes

Yep. Really into the Nordic Jazz collections on Qobuz…

3 Likes

Well you’re entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it is. :smiley: Either way it’s good you’re around to sustain the s/h market for OC kit. I and others are happy Naim has returned to the roots of their sound and creating excitement among their product line again.

3 Likes

I think the word is influencer! Btw I concur with your NC findings, I much prefer my SN3/NDX2 to 250/222 which I found a bit sterile but like you say there’s now something for everyone but NC is not for me although I haven’t heard the 300’s, they’re way beyond what I’d be willing to spend anyway.

4 Likes

Your 222 was broken if I recall and you returned it. So not exactly a fair comparison. And I passed on the NDX2/SN3 or with the 250DR, just wasn’t enough there, thin, lacking bass, not involving enough for me.

No need to be relentlessly defensive about NC, it’s really ok, we all have our preferences.

1 Like

If responding to your post is relentless then guilty. But people should know your observation has a caveat.

The strange thing is that your findings with NDX2/SN3 were the same as mine with 250/222, just goes to show we all hear things differently and of course room / speakers etc will have an influence. I’m confident the dodgy volume control on my 222 did not impair the sound, it dident sound broken I just didn’t like it and my overall findings concurred with others here, I can appreciate many will like the NC sound signature but it’s just not for me, horses for courses.

6 Likes