The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

I went to my local dealer today to audition a 332 and 333 combination. Shortly afterwards I decided to trade in my 222 and keep my NPX300 and get another at a later date, I will use the 300 on the 333 which after comparing both options, gave the best SQ. Everything was better but the bass extension and clarity was the clincher. The plan is to strip the system down, decorate, after this get the new kit installed. Oh and get a shoe box size rack for the NVC and NPX TT. I don’t have space for two full-sized racks. A busy and expensive time ahead.

16 Likes

It must be the sea air. I live on the coast near Blackpool and have recently ordered a 333 and 332. :blush:
Anyway, nice one :+1:

3 Likes

Ooh nice. - I see 350s in your future…:wink:

1 Like

The 222 to 332+333 is a big jump though. That’s the problem isn’t it you can’t do source then preamp….

but you could get 333 and use 222 as preamp like many do when upgrading from integrated amps to separates get the preamp first and use integrated as power amp

2 Likes

Why not?

1 Like

Only two analogue inputs on the 222 of which the DIN is better. If you have a phono stage on the DIN, it means connecting the 333 via the RCA, which isn’t ideal I would think…… still possible though I agree. Though you’ve nothing to trade in till the pre goes as well, so a big jump still.

1 Like

I thought of that, but getting the two together made more sense.

Doesn’t the 222 digitise the analogue inputs though?

Probably not, I have listened to the 350 a fair amount and whilst in many ways it is better than the 250, with my speakers it sounds a little overbearing or overblown to my ears when a direct comparison with the 250 is made. Initially, the 350 sounds more impressive but I prefer the voicing of the 250. I can understand why many prefer the 350s but don’t feel it is the right amp for me. Of course, if I changed speakers maybe that would change, but I think that is unlikely as I am really happy with what I have.

3 Likes

No.

1 Like

No that is only done on the Uniti range.

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

You could say within a hop, skip and a jump :blush:

1 Like

Interesting. I had a good listen to Sting’s Nothing like the Sun today on Vinyl (pimped out Vertere DG1) and streaming 24/192 (Qobuz/Audirvana) on 222/300/250 w Atohm GT1/REL TZero.
Taking an Englishman in New York, or Little Moon…The bass, rhythm, transients are very similar, but the vocal on the vinyl source soars in emotion and has real presence, on the streaming it sounds recessed, back in the mix. It’s fine and on its own would be perfectly good, it’s just the vinyl source beats it hands down. I’m not in a position to do big upgrades further this year, but something to ponder.

I’m listening to the Qobuz hires Englishman in NY now and the vocal is not recessed at all. Lots of separation and black b/w instruments with his vocal out in front. Is there much parity to be found b/w vinyl and digital recordings (ie from the same source/master)? It seems like they are going to be different. Also, maybe it’s your speakers.

Well it won’t be speakers as they are the same in both. The variation is in source and master. It’s also a comparison thing. You don’t notice it until you compare. My guess is probably the mastering and the way the source presents it. I’ll try other LPs in due course.

And how is 222 connected to the mains and network?

Ring main but nothing else on that ring. No TV, sky boxes or other stuff. Kitchen is on a separate ring. Switchless high quality sockets, power line to NPX300.
Ethernet audioquest forest to wired socket to one of those 108E switches with Teddybear LPS in low power mode -forest to Mac and to BT hub. Having fibre optic broadband installed tomorrow with a mesh wifi so may try wi fi instead.
Aimed for decent solid stuff on both without doing ‘audiophile’ cost stuff.

1 Like

Here’s the answer; stop comparing. Vinyl and digital will always sound different. To spend on the digital to equal or better the vinyl, only to then become dissatisfied with the latter, is a fool’s errand.

11 Likes