The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Well, they keep selling the SN3 but have killed its power-supply upgrades as of this month.

3 Likes

Looking back at some comments from Steve S on the first thread, I found this wording interesting. It could just be excluding the phono stage, or it could imply some non-430mm boxes (not counting the Nait 50 as I donā€™t think that takes an external PSU) coming, so a small form-factor Nait to fit your suggestion, or a shoebox 100 series. (This tin-foil hat makes my head warm.)

ND5 XS 2 and a AM Hi-End DAC/1 were used with the NAC 282/Hi-Cap DR and also the NSC 222/NPX 300.

Suggests discontinued or replaced is in the short term future of the SN3?

Or the attitude might now be to move on up from bare SN3, get a 222/250.

There is always a large amount of HicapDR available on the used market, so if I had a bare SN3 I would be in no panic.

How does your P10 compare to the 222 as a source. Iā€™m thinking about what turntables to audition to use with my 222 - thanks.

Pretty sure the second Nait50 ā€œEaster eggā€ was the 73VA input power spec (as seen in the last bench photo posted by @110dB and noticed / posted, within about a minute, by @Brilliant) ā€¦ itā€™s not still to be revealed afaik

2 Likes

Iā€™ve searched the thread but havenā€™t seen my question addressed so far. Apologies if it has been.

Can the new NVC TT phono stage be made to work with the SN2? I see that ā€œit connects easily to NAC 332 or NSC 222 preamplifiersā€¦ā€ but what the lowlier Supernaits?

Do you mean, can it be powered by the AUX2 on a Supernait2? If so, no. However, if you use it with the NPX-TT power supply then yes you could connect the audio output to your Supernait2.

1 Like

Thanks Richard,

That is what I am going to do. My dealer expects the new 300 series to overclass the old. But since my old stuff is only a fewyears old, it will be expensive to have a satisfying trade. It is expected that many will trade old classic gear for new. And I can go two ways. Try to combine the new preamp and power amp with the old model 300 DR and NDX 2. But, I think I will go for a young occasion XPS dr, 252 and SC. And live for a will with the old stuff

Thank you. Now Iā€™m wondering whether the NVC/NPX might be more firepower than is appropriate for an SN2.

1 Like

I only mentioned the output power (50/2). It is @mook who pointed out the 73A input further down that thread.

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s it for the 300 series, with simple upgrade path with the NPX300. Maybe a new Supernait in the new styling or a SuperNova with an on-board phono stage.

1 Like

Think Bevos correct thatā€™s it for the 3 series for at least the time being. However it would have been nice to see a new 3 series CD player.

3 Likes

Indeed Pete - but never to be seen again I would think / gone are those days

They said that about turn tables 20 years ago.

1 Like

Yes a NC Supernait Mike with 100 watts and potentially use with 300PS

Opportunity to reduce box count

3 Likes

Why are you blokes so eager to see integrated amps teamed up with an external power amps. I donā€™t get it.

Well unless CD SQ can surpass streaming SQ significantly I donā€™t think a goer

TT/Vinyl SQ another matter ha :crazy_face::crazy_face:

Thereā€™s been lots of topics re cd sound quality v streaming. There are many here who prefer the SQ of the cd.

1 Like

Anybody heard the new 300 series?