The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Thank you. It’s a Dynaudio sub I am looking at.

Anyone able to define “low volume”?

Under 8 o’clock on the volume control??

What 8 o’clock on the volume control means would depend on both the amp and the speakers.

As we’re talking volume, you’d probably want to measure that in dB (at the listening position). 40 dB and under perhaps?

1 Like

You are right of course about relying on the volume control, but my spectrum app suggests 40db is about the level of background noise with the sound turned down.

With my old ears anything below 60db is unidentifiable so low volume might be 60 to 70db?

I have a 300DR now but never had a problem with the 250DR so it might be in the ears of the listener rather than the amp.

60dB I would not consider low level listening. 55 to 60 dB is the level of a normal conversation.

1 Like

demo weekend of the 300 series by the belgian dealer alpha high end during weekend of 24 - 25 juin

2 Likes

Would be great to get some feedback from this demo…it could be the first ‘live’ demo…. :thinking:

I note that there is no option to bring analogue sources into multi room audio as, I think, the Uniti and Muso ranges can.

Some Naim amps, Supernait 3 for instance, have a Stream DIN socket that is both an audio input and output which might have been part of facilities to feed audio from a turntable to every room in your house. I suspect that latency in streaming audio would require monitoring facilities which the Supernait 3 does not have.

Are any forum members interested in multi room audio driven from an analogue source (turntable, tape deck or even FM radio)?

1 Like

I have no interest in analog multi-room.

Maybe the Uniti/Mu-so range can do that because they use ADC to convert the analog inputs to digital. I would not want a preamp in the Classics ranges to do that.

Indeed, the Unitis digitise their analogue inputs specifically in order to allow them to be multiroomed. I would be surprised if they ever did this with separates, or even with streaming preamps.

1 Like

Multi room?:thinking: Never, kills the fun…:smirk:

An ADC sitting in the tape loop can provide digital multiroom from analogue sources. Turntable > preamp > ADC > ND# digital in. I’ve yet to test that multiroom works from digital input directly because I tend to record analogue to digital to NAS and stream it like anything else. But that also uses the same connection chain as above.

Multiroom? I just open the lounge door. Compact and bijou here…

7 Likes

Thanks feeking_zen. I currently record my analogue sources to digital through a Yamaha CD recorder/HD recorder. I may need to be doing more of this ahead of possibly buying a NSC 222 and losing the record option.

I considered the tape loop - ADC - streamer route but I think this would need either low latency streaming to ensure all rooms are time aligned or tape monitoring facilities which the NAC 332 lacks (it has a line out on one DIN socket but not monitoring facility).

Ha ha good one Stuart :grinning::+1:

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Insane new pricing in Australia

Can we keep this thread to the New Classic range please. There’s already at least one much more suitable current running thread for this news. I shall move replies. Thanks.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Insane new pricing in Australia

Our SF speakers (nominal 4 ohm) also love raw power. We didn’t hear them at their full potential until we got 300DR.

There might be little in the 250.3/300DR comparison with some speakers. Perhaps the tonality of 250.3 will suit some speakers better than others.

Interesting that above a comment is that 300DR is slightly darker than NC. It’s exactly this characteristic of old classic boxes which made us choose nDAC over NDX2 as a DAC, with our current system.

Still slightly tempted by the new monoblocs but we’d need a speaker upgrade too.

1 Like

Apologies if I missed it in the very long thread, when will the new products start to be released and available to listen at dealers?