The Naim New Classic Range - Part 2

Sep/Oct I think

Iā€™d be interested to hear from listeners who have made the jump from NDX 2/XPS DR/SN3/HiCap DR to NSC222/NPX300/NAP250. No regrets? Also what speakers you are currently using that give wonderful synergy that most of us crave for?

2 Likes

Wondering similar, though also fairly excited about what any potential New Classic Supernait might look like. The NSC222 is just a bit awkward i/o wise for me to think itā€™s clearly the best step up from my XS3 & great, but a little bit too complicated, streaming solution.

NDX2 and NC Supernait is what Iā€™m currently planning, if/as/when.

2 Likes

Iā€™m headed that way next week, a clean start with an interim Selekt DSM pre/streamer.
Speakers remain as Focal Kanta 1ā€™s, still got my PMC OB1iā€™s and might fire them up for fun/comparison.

2 Likes

Iā€™d not be surprised if they EOL the SN3 and NDX2 once the 300 Series starts shipping in Q4 ā€˜23. That could also align with an early 2024 announcement of additional New Classic products to fill in those gaps around the time of CES, which was what was done with the 200 Series launch.
Perhaps it becomes a 100 Series (NAIT 100) and they bring out an additional streamer that would sit somewhere between the ND5 XS2 and NDX2 (screenless/upgradable)
The SI, XS and 500 Series will stay untouched through at least 2024 Iā€™d expect.

There is, of course, the possibility that there will be no NC Supernait. That may seem odd given its perceived popularity here, but Naim did say that simplifying their range was a key part of the process, and as they are releasing products from the bottom up, you might expect that a hypothetical SN4 would have appeared by nowā€¦ā€¦ or not; we can only guess.

The new NAC 332 isnā€™t far off being a NC NAIT with some rework on the internals.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies @ChrisSU @Mr.M - itā€™s mostly just very idle speculation on my part at the moment, very much aware that Naim will do what they do. And very happy with my XS3 whilst I wait (and save up!) 8)

2 Likes

Apart from it not having a power amp section that will produce an actual sound :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Ha ha :crazy_face::crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::+1::+1:

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s the not far bit, a supernait is the same dimensions physically as any other NAC available after all.
The point being the design work to transition a NAIT to a NC design is mostly done already in products already announced.

2 Likes

I think there will be an NC Supernait, it is simply too important a market segment to ignore for Naim. I would imagine that the opportunity could be taken to use much of the NSC222 pre-amp with the new volume control and the Atom HE derived headphone stage. Power amp is less clear, using a cut down 250NC arrangement (but probably only 70-80W) may well be too expensive/complicated as it is a regulated design, it could be the case instead that the power section remains pretty well as now (it is quite highly regarded after all). Clearly the new amp would have the same standby modes and illumination control features as the 222 and 332.

At the same time I think the NDX2 will go and be replaced by a 200 series streamer likely similar to the ND5XS. The ND5XS would remain as a partner for the remaining older integrated amps.

2 Likes

Iā€™m thinking the same, the NAC332 uses a raft of through mount components, the NSC looks more likely to be similar to any NC Supernait. Iā€™m sure itā€™s not anywhere near as simple as swapping out the streaming board and DAC and plonking power amp components in the same space, particularly given the layout of the current SN3, but hopefully the constituent components can be relatively easily reused/adapted.

If Naim are listening, a NC SN with the ladder volume control, HE/NSC headphone stage, and a NC250 derived power amp stage, with at least 3 DIN inputs and a record loop, for Ā£5700, would be very very tempting.

(must. stop. speculating. X) doesnā€™t do me any good, back to reading the forum and listening to music for now!)

Lolsā€¦ Not likely to get the record loop - or that priceā€¦ The rest though, maybeā€¦?

1 Like

And thatā€™s why I need to stop speculating, doesnā€™t do me any good at all and likely only leads to mild disappointment :wink:

2 Likes

You should have thrown in a microwave dishwasher and coffee machine as well. :grin:

5 Likes

Cuddly toy. :rofl:

IMG_6924

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a very scary photo.

5 Likes

I too would love to see Naim deliver something akin to this. The lack of a record output (let alone a full blown tape loop) is all that is stopping me from getting an NSC 222 and NC 250.

I have a feeling that any NC integrated would lack the fully regulated power amp circuits of the NC 250. I hesitate to say that is impossible to fit fully regulated power amp circuits into an integrated amp in a standard NC case but I suspect it would not be practical and very likely not optimal (the compromises incurred would offset the benefits). A larger case would solve the problem, but at a significant cost.

Still, we can but dream.

1 Like

Iā€™m happy if ā€œderived from the NC NAP250ā€ is loosely interpreted :wink:

1 Like