The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Will be interesting yes seakayaker

Here in Australia the 5 box count NDX2/NAC252/SCDR/XPSDR /NAP250DR currently retails at circa $57k

I would doubt that the new classic 3 box just released at circa $41k will beat that , it will take a better front end than the NSC 222 to do that.

Having said that if SQ on a par say it’s a bargain with a reduced box count

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s why the Statement range exists :wink:

1 Like

yep -tea time session

1 Like

Cant make it :cry:
Work commitment prevents joining in

Really disappointed about it, as I was looking forward to listening to Jason Gould, from Naim.

I’m thinking the NPX300 will be a bridge between 200 and 300 series. Optional for 200 series and essential for 300 series.

5 Likes

Power Supply Options, with New Classic

Sure
I think we can rely on at least two PSU’s in the way you suggest.
But I also have the idea of a three step solution, (good - better - best), for the New Classic fascia.

Also noting, the 555PS will continue, for the time being.

So, I am also wondering if there is space for an entry level PSU ?
(Replacement for the much loved HiCap).

Maybe linking this idea, with something else I’ve noticed… See this post

Wondering about the NVX-TT shoe box size PSU product, and possibilities for this going forward?

Just speculating here ?

Hi it’s a reflection. :+1:t2:

I hate to be a party pooper, but the NSCs are built on the same DAC as my ND5XS. And while I appreciate that other components around the DAC make a huge contribution, this isn’t a huge stride forward in technology. Rather it’s about repackaging two existing systems (albeit very good ones) in a single box.

Which, in an era of active speakers, makes a lot of sense. And you get a nice colour screen.

4 Likes

The NPX TT can quite easily become a NPX 200 by simply changing the backplate and be positioned as a 200 Series accessory and upgrade option.
It has a Type 1 + Type 2 connector, the NPX 300 has a Type 3 + Type 4 connector.
Between those two products you should be able to power any likely 200 or 300 series yet to be announced, covering sources amplification and accessories like phonostages, even potentially crossovers.
I’d anticipate they’d price this in the £2000-2500 region, putting it around half the price point of the NPX 300 and with supporting products priced and performance tiered accordingly.

4 Likes

I was in the market to replace my 272 last year, and went for something completely different.

If I was still in the market though I’d be a little put off by Naim’s DAC choice. Of course Naim know how to get the best from it, but I thought a new range might include a different DAC implementation. Maybe they tried alternatives and didn’t like them, or there were technical reasons that excluded alternatives, who knows?

3pm for me.
It’s a good hour and a bit drive for me and I have to get home to feed Mrs QS when she gets home😊

2 Likes

I suspect space and cost, the NDX2 is dearer than 222, that uses the 1792 dac chip.
Sorted demo with dealer for Thursday - just going in with an open mind.

1 Like

Steve does it have an impact in the sound character?
I assume that you changed the amp gain as well in 250 but your feedback for sure will clarify.
I m a 25 years naimers, I still have a nac92/90 sound as a dream. I m totally amazed by my new sn3+hcdr but even if improved a lot I keep finding the naim signature sound. if I m not wrong the sn3 pre section is already 16db and still the naim signature is super present so I m sure that even in the newcomer it will be the same.
I didnt audition the new 250 but I consider the 250dr a piece of art and according to what you described in technical point of view the new one is a huge step up, I assume higher than dr technology introduction

A DAC is much more than just the chipset and bear in mind that Naim have a long history of measuring and selecting otherwise similar DAC chips according to price point - the best going into the best kit etc.

6 Likes

Already a scratch on front middle acrylic section ?

Indeed, Ran my boss’ DS back then, loved them ever since…

Wonder if theres’ a list somewhere, which define various Naim PSU’s matching boxes.
Should be straight forward for staff to provide, maybe its already available ?

1 Like

Not a scratch - looks like protective film over acrylic section hasn’t been removed yet.

1 Like

I would be interested on an NPX versus 555PS opinion as an upgrade on my xpsdr/NDX2.
Maybe @110dB has some insight. Although appreciate you are facing a bit of a deluge of questions atm.

1 Like

11 Likes