The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

I had a casual half hour today (I was dropping off my CDX2 for a service and new mech - whilst they are in stock) listening to the 222/300/250 through some Kudos S10’s. I thought it sounded wonderful. Particularly impressed with the bass. If I were being very picky I’d say the high frequencies were ‘energetic’ (might be the S10’s based on other Kudos speakers I have heard) - might be a bit too much for extended listening. It is the 250 that is of interest to me - but I think I will wait for the new pre-amps to arrive then have a serious demo. Based on what I heard today I think a pre/300/250 might be difficult to resist.

4 Likes

The 6.999€ for the nsc222 is still not enough profit for keeping labour in the UK? Shame on you!

3 Likes

Strange, that was unexpected! :flushed::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Some on this thread have forecast a price decrease on old Classic series as the new ones come out. I wonder if that happened when the Classic series replaced the Olive.

1 Like

Well, if it’s just about music only, a sonos and some ceiling speakers would do, as it does for me at home.

You know what they say, “audiophiles listen to their system” instead of the music :face_with_hand_over_mouth:.
I also have to remind myself over and over again that’s it’s the music (and the OCD in me to have it sound a little nicer) that matter, over the system.

4 Likes

You may have misunderstood here - the existing labour is staying in the UK, it’s finding additional labour and capacity flexibility that has been difficult, hence why Naim has arranged for one of their existing production partners in the EU to step in to help make up the shortfall with the high projected demand for the new kit.

Rather than divert this thread through, there’s this one that’s worth reading if you have a spare few days…

5 Likes

I’ve removed a few posts. Let’s stick to the topic please.

14 Likes

Would be nice if people could be as levelheaded and dignified as our much respected Moderator on this thread. ATB Peter

14 Likes

I thought it was also with ATC

1 Like

I guess the early adopters should be almost 1 month in now and presumably all the demo systems will be in a similar situation. Will be interesting to get some feedback from the wild on how the New Classics are shaping up with some miles on the clock.

No, I never had ATC with the 272. I had ATC SCM40 passives, with ATC CDA2 and P1.

I can understand there might be need to delocalize part of the production, point is that would be appreciable if cost reduction could be reflected to clients.
Instead seems the approach used is the one of chief financial officers:
decrease production costs
decrease costs of sales within EU
increase prices
overall increase margins.
will this repay in the long run?

1 Like

From what I gather there is little if any cost reduction here - it’s more a necessity to find a flexible increase in capacity. However, probably a conversation better continued on the dedicated thread rather than this one.

3 Likes

@Tesilk I found a picture of that setup

4 Likes

I prefer the “Naim sound” with ATC.
Auralic btw sounded sterile in comparison.

1 Like

I agree with you. I had a Auralic Vega G2.1 with the ATC actives, for 6 months. The Vega is very good, however I prefer, like you, the Naim sound. :+1:

3 Likes

Seem to be quite a few NDXs and 282s for sale!

2 Likes

Found mine old system pic also

5 Likes

Did you not upgrade from a Nova? Or may be I got confused and remember incorrectly?

……and the speakers?………:blush: